Jeffrey Wickes, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Early Christianity
Graduate Studies Coordinator
T, Th: 11-1 a.m.
Christians in the Middle East, Music, Poetry, and Religious Identity, Theological Foundations, Survey of Early Christianity
Ph.D. in History of Christianity, University of Notre Dame, 2013
M.A. in Early Christian Studies, University of Notre Dame, 2007
M.A. in Theology, St. Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary, 2005
- Early Christianity
- Syriac, late antique literature and religion
Publications and Media Placements
St. Ephrem the Syrian: The Hymns on Faith (CUA Press, 2015)
Edited with Kristian Heal. Literature, Rhetoric, and Exegesis in Syriac Verse. Peeters, 2017.
Peer-Reviewed Articles and Book Chapters
"Between Liturgy and School: Reassessing the Performative Context of Ephrem's Madrashe." Journal of Early Christian Studies 26:1
(forthcoming) "Poetry and Hymnody." in The Oxford Handbook of Early Christian Biblical Interpretation. Edited by Paul Blowers and Peter Martens. (Oxford, 2017).
"Mapping the Literary Landscape of Ephrem's Theology of Divine Names." Dumbarton Oaks
Honors and Awards
- Swenson Family Fellowship in Eastern Christian Manuscript Studies, Hill Museum and Manuscript Library, Collegeville, MN, 2017.
- Reinert Innovative Teaching Fellowship, Reinert Center for Transformative Teaching and Learning, Saint Louis University, 2016-17.
- Summer Fellow in Byzantine Studies, Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collections, Washington, D.C., June 20-August 5, 2016.
- Mellon Faculty Development Grant, Saint Louis University, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017.
- Junior Fellow in Byzantine Studies, Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection, Washington, D.C., 2011-2012.
- Dissertation Fellowship, Dolores Zorhab Liebmann Fund, 2011-2014 (only accepted one year, 2011-12).
Professional Organizations and Associations
- North American Patristics Society American Academy of Religion
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Byzantine Studies Association of North America
- The Classical Association of the Middle West and South