Being a Billiken: So Much More Than SLU’s Mascot
So, what is a Billiken? The easy answer is that it's Saint Louis University's mascot, the embodiment of a popular good luck charm from the turn of the 20th century. But at SLU, a Billiken is more.
Being a Billiken
"Being a Billiken means to be yourself," said Keilah from O'Fallon, Missouri. "And that you have the freedom to choose what you want to be with the influence of such a great community around you."
Being a Billiken means getting an education to better yourself and help others. It is about going out and changing the world, but also growing your mind, body and soul. Billikens are open, caring and compassionate to all different types of people.
At SLU, students are always on the lookout for ways to give back and get involved.
"To me, being a Billiken means loving SLU with every part of you — not just loving it and being proud of it, but loving it in a way that you're willing to give back," said Erin, a SLU student from Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
Becca from Chicago, Illinois, agreed, saying a Billiken is "someone who's a servant
leader. Someone who's engaged in the SLU community."
- College Matters: Where You Go to School Makes a Difference
- Fall Welcome at SLU: Your First Days at Saint Louis University
- Getting Involved at SLU: Here's How to Start
- Here Is St. Louis: See What Makes SLU's Hometown a Great Place to Live, Learn and Have Fun
- Interested in Living in a Learning Community? Here's What You Need to Know.
- Mass at College Church: Spiritual Life at Saint Louis University
- SLU 101: Summer Orientation at SLU
- Tour SLU: Academics — An Inside Look at Our Classrooms, Study Spots and Library
- Tour SLU: Student Life — What's It Like to go to SLU?
- Tour SLU: Where to Eat and Sleep
- University 101: A Crash Course in Succeeding at Saint Louis University
- What Is a Billiken? An Inside Look at Saint Louis University's Iconic Mascot
- Why SLU Is the Right Choice