Getting Involved at SLU: Here’s How to Start
SLU's mission as a Catholic, Jesuit University is to help you develop as a whole person. That's why just about every student at Saint Louis University is involved in something, from student leadership positions like Oriflamme to a cappella groups, club sports and service groups.
Student organizations nourish your mind, body and soul as you build friendships, learn new skills and give back to the community. And with around 200 chartered student organizations, SLU offers something for almost everyone. And if you don't find an organization that covers your particular interest, it might be a great opportunity to start a new one.
Explore Activities and Clubs to Find the Right Fit
Each semester at SLU kicks off with an activities fair sponsored by the Student Involvement Center. If you aren't sure what college groups or clubs you want to be part of, the activities fair is a great way to explore your options.
"It doesn't really matter that much what the activity is," says Ellie, a SLU student who attended her first fair looking for something fun to do. "It's a great way to make friends. I almost joined the crew team because they had cookies.”
Tips for Getting Involved on Campus
"Classes are so important, but the experiences outside of the classroom are really what form your college experience," says Becca, another SLU student. "That's where you meet people, and that's where you get the experiential learning to become a leader and learn more about yourself."
Before getting involved, make sure you understand if a campus organization that interests
you requires a certain number of service hours or regular attendance at meetings.
Others, such as sports clubs or performance groups, require practice. Prioritize your
academic goals and make sure you understand how much time you'll need to devote to
- Being a Billiken: So Much More than SLU's Mascot
- College Matters: Where You Go to School Makes a Difference
- Fall Welcome at SLU: Your First Days at Saint Louis University
- Here Is St. Louis: See What Makes SLU's Hometown a Great Place to Live, Learn and Have Fun
- Interested in Living in a Learning Community? Here's What You Need to Know.
- Mass at College Church: Spiritual Life at Saint Louis University
- SLU 101: Summer Orientation at SLU
- Tour SLU: Academics — An Inside Look at Our Classrooms, Study Spots and Library
- Tour SLU: Student Life — What's It Like to go to SLU?
- Tour SLU: Where to Eat and Sleep
- University 101: A Crash Course in Succeeding at Saint Louis University
- What Is a Billiken? An Inside Look at Saint Louis University's Iconic Mascot
- Why SLU Is the Right Choice