Mass at SLU’s College Church
Going to college doesn't mean leaving your spiritual identity behind, particularly at a Jesuit university.
What is 9 p.m. Sunday Mass?
At Saint Louis University, students and community members gather every Sunday evening at St. Francis Xavier College Church to join together in worship and prayer. Students lead the prayers, readings and music. Alex, a SLU student from Brentwood, Tennessee, says the 9 p.m. Mass is always welcoming, and that he's usually greeted with a smile and a big hug from somebody.
"This 9 p.m. Mass is really upbeat and the sermons are incredibly relatable and really apply to my life as a college student," says Cincinnati native Ellen. "It's something I look forward to being a part of every week."
Faith on Campus
Even students who are not Catholic are drawn to the community atmosphere at the College Church Mass. It hosts about 650 people each week.
"Even though I'm not part of the Catholic faith, I thought the 9 p.m. mass here at SLU was incredibly welcoming," says Brinda, a student from Naperville, Illinois. "My friends were so excited to bring me to Mass and I never felt like an outsider. I loved it."
A Regular Event
Students agree that the 9 p.m. Mass helps strengthen their faith, especially after a busy week.
"9 p.m. Mass for me means acceptance," says Brinda. "It's about coming together as
one community, understanding that even though we may come from different backgrounds,
we all have this innate want to just improve the condition around us, get to know
people better and try to make SLU an even better place than it is right now."
MORE VIDEOS ABOUT COLLEGE
- Being a Billiken: More Than SLU's Mascot
- College Matters: Where You Go to School Makes a Difference
- Fall Welcome at SLU: Your First Days at Saint Louis University
- Getting Involved at SLU: Here's How to Start
- Interested in Living in a Learning Community? Here's What You Need to Know.
- Mass at College Church: Spiritual Life at Saint Louis University
- SLU 101: Summer Orientation at SLU
- Tour SLU: Academics — An Inside Look at Our Classrooms, Study Spots and Library
- Tour SLU: Student Life — What's It Like to go to SLU?
- Tour SLU: Where to Eat and Sleep
- University 101: A Crash Course in Succeeding at Saint Louis University
- What Is a Billiken? An Inside Look at Saint Louis University's Iconic Mascot
- Why SLU Is the Right Choice