University 101: Succeeding at SLU
First-year students at Saint Louis University are encouraged to enroll in University 101 during their first semester on campus. These small, once-weekly classes of approximately 20 students allow you to learn more about the transition to college and become connected to the SLU community.
"Going through the class helped me make new friends, meet new people, and just be more comfortable with living on campus and knowing where to go when I need help," said Alex from Naperville, Illinois.
What You'll Learn in U101
"[U101] talks about academic preparation and pressures of being a college student," explained the program director at SLU's Student Success Center. "It gives students exposure to the Jesuit mission and talks about what the campus means by their diversity inclusion efforts. And the class provides a variety of ways for students to think about 'How am I making this jump from high school to college.’"
"U101 is really for the students," said Ginge Kettenbach, SLU professor of physical therapy. "It's there to help them succeed. It's not there for any other reason, so take full advantage of it."
What Comes Next?
Once you complete U101, you'll be better prepared to make friends, more comfortable with living on campus and better informed about the range of resources available to you at Saint Louis University.
Some of those resources include academic advising and the Student Success Center.
Learn more about ways SLU helps students succeed.
- Being a Billiken: So Much More than SLU's Mascot
- College Matters: Where You Go to School Makes a Difference
- Fall Welcome at SLU: Your First Days at Saint Louis University
- Getting Involved at SLU: Here's How to Start
- Here Is St. Louis: See What Makes SLU's Hometown a Great Place to Live, Learn and Have Fun
- Interested in Living in a Learning Community? Here's What You Need to Know.
- Mass at College Church: Spiritual Life at Saint Louis University
- SLU 101: Summer Orientation at SLU
- Tour SLU: Academics — An Inside Look at Our Classrooms, Study Spots and Library
- Tour SLU: Student Life — What's It Like to go to SLU?
- Tour SLU: Where to Eat and Sleep
- What Is a Billiken? An Inside Look at Saint Louis University's Iconic Mascot
- Why SLU Is the Right Choice