The Reinert Center for Transformative Teaching and Learning is pleased to invite nominations for the 2019 James H. Korn Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Award.
One of the goals of the Reinert Center is to promote faculty inquiry and scholarly research on teaching and learning. In 2006, the Center established the James H. Korn Award for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in recognition of Psychology Professor Emeritus James Korn’s many contributions to research on teaching and learning. One award of $500 is given to the home department of the awardee(s) to be used as professional development funds for the awardee(s).
The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) involves researching questions about teaching activities and student learning by formally studying the teaching and learning activities of one’s course; answering those questions by assessing student learning and effectiveness of teaching strategies; and publicly sharing results of this inquiry in a setting that invites peer review, such as a publication or conference presentation.
- Nominees must be current full-time faculty members at Saint Louis University and the nominated research must have been conducted at SLU. Note: a team of individuals or a department may be nominated as long as at least one member of the team is currently a full-time faculty member at SLU.
- Nominees have conducted formal research on teaching and student learning. (Formal projects generally follow a basic format including (a) stating a clear research question or hypothesis about student learning, (b) collecting evidence in an educational setting, and (c) analyzing outcomes and developing conclusions).
- Results of research were disseminated to peers through means such as publication, conference presentation or poster session, invited presentation, departmental or school symposium.
- Previous recipients of this award are ineligible to be awarded a second time.
In addition to self-nominations, we encourage nominations from colleagues who are knowledgeable about the nominated faculty member’s work. Nominees selected as finalists may be asked to submit more detail on their SoTL project(s).
To Nominate Yourself or a Colleague
Please email or mail the following information to Mary Cook (email@example.com), Paul C. Reinert, S.J. Center for Transformative Teaching and Learning, 2nd Floor, Pius Library. The deadline for nominations is Wednesday, September 25, 2019.
- Name(s), contact information, and brief CV (including a brief list of pertinent scholarly work) of person(s) nominated for the award. Please include email address and academic department.
- Representative examples (no more than five) of the nominee’s research/scholarship on teaching and learning (e.g. published articles, conference presentations). Please do not include PowerPoint slides.
- Name and contact information of the person making the nomination.
- Nominations remain in consideration for three years. Updates to nomination materials are encouraged if additional presentations were given, additional work was published, and/or additional research was conducted.
The awardee(s) will be honored at a ceremony concluding the Reinert Center's Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Symposium on Friday, November 8, 2019.