SLU Department of History
Giving to the Department
The Department of History welcomes gifts which would provide funding for the various needs that are not typically covered by its regular operating budget. Because your generosity allows us to offer valuable opportunities to students and faculty, and to nurture our intellectual community, they are crucial to the continued success of the Department.
Your gifts make an important difference by enabling us to:
- Support students through much-needed scholarships and awards for excellence in studies. For instance, you could provide for our annual undergraduate History Conference and competition for best senior research paper.
- Present awards to faculty for exceptional teaching and scholarship.
- Host visits by renowned scholars. For instance, you could sponsor visits by distinguished academics who in their research and teaching promote an international perspective.
- Send faculty and students to scholarly conferences to present their research throughout the United States and overseas.
- Support specific research projects by faculty and students. For instance, you might wish to support the History Department's Study Group for Cross-Cultural History. It was founded to advance scholarship on the history of interactions between cultures, one of most vibrant and intellectually challenging areas of scholarship in the age of globalism.
- Support the recruitment and retention of outstanding graduate students. It is truly a waste of human potential when a talented student is economically unable to take up or continue advanced studies.
Your tax-deductible gifts can come in many different forms which include:
- Unrestricted, discretionary funds made available to the Chair to be used for the benefit of the Department, as listed above.
- Private, merit-based or need-based scholarships and fellowships. Minimum term scholarship is $10,000 (paid over a maximum of 4 years). Minimum Endowed Scholarship is $25,000 (paid over a maximum of 5 years).
- Funds for a specific program within the Department. This money would go to the History Department Development Fund (10586). If donors want to specify a certain program within History, they can do so on their check and/or their gift form (online as well).
- Endowments which provide enduring financial support in the form of fellowships, scholarships, professorships, and chairs. An endowed chair allows us to appoint a distinguished scholar, adding prestige to the department and making it more competitive in the academic marketplace. Because endowed funds are permanently invested and generate an annual income, they also offer financial stability and independence to the host institution.
All funds of at least $10,000 (paid over a maximum four-year period) established for the benefit of the History Department can be named for the donor or for someone whose memory the benefactor wishes to honor.
For more information about the department's needs and projects, and to discuss ways in which you can offer assistance, please contact:
Charles H. Parker
Chair, Department of History
College of Arts and Sciences
3800 Lindell Boulevard
Humanities Building, Room 137
St. Louis, MO 63108
To make a donation or to obtain information regarding methods of giving and types of gifts, please contact:
Senior Director of Development
College of Arts and Sciences
DuBourg Hall, Room 360
St. Louis, MO 63103
Or if you would like to make an Online Gift please click here. Be sure to designate your gift for the Department of History.