- Undergraduate Programs
Honor Society Requirements
AKD: International Sociology Honor Society
Alpha Kappa Delta, also known as AKD, is an international sociology honor society whose goals are to study humankind for the purpose of service, to promote human welfare and to develop scientific knowledge that may be applied to the solution of social problems. Started in 1920 at the University of Southern California, AKD currently includes over 80,000 members in 490 recognized chapters chartered in the United States, China, Finland, Canada, the Philippines, Taiwan and Singapore. To be inducted in AKD, students must have exemplary academic records and exhibit leadership and service commitments.
- The student must be an officially declared Sociology major or demonstrate a serious interest in Sociology within an official program of the host institution.
- Sociology minors are ineligible.
- The student must have an overall GPA of 3.3 and at least a 3.4 in their Sociology courses.
- The student must be at least a junior (third year) by standards of Saint Louis University.
- The student must have completed at least four regular courses in Sociology at Saint Louis University prior to initiation (exclusive of extension or courses graded pass/fail).