- Campus Operations
- Buildings & Grounds
- Greenhouse Gas Inventory
- Recycling & Waste Reduction
- Batteries and Light Bulbs
- Electronics Recycling
- Ink and Toner Cartridges
- Single-Stream Recycling
- Benchmarking Initiatives
- Sustainability Staff
Batteries & Light Bulbs
Saint Louis University collects used batteries and light bulbs that have been replaced on campus. Information on off campus recycling of batteries and light bulbs is also provided on this page.
Those items used by students and employees on campus are collected for recycling by SLU.
Batteries: place a small piece of tape over both ends of each battery (this helps prevent possible fires caused by any remaining charge)
Drop used batteries off at the Information Desk in BSC, Wool Center suite 210, or request a pick-up by a maintenance A worker through the FAMIS service request system.
Light bulbs: for collection of old light bulbs used on campus, place a FAMIS service request for pickup.
SLU does not collect batteries and light bulbs used at residences off campus. However, resources are available to recycle these items.
The City of St. Louis has identified multiple locations around the city for recycling batteries and light bulbs.
- Click here for information about battery recycling.
Fast Facts on Batteries and Light Bulbs
- Incandescents are only 10% efficient. This means that only 10% of the energy is used for lighting. The other 90% is lost as heat.
- CFL bulbs use roughly 75% less energy than incandescent bulbs, and last up to 10 times longer. Calculate your savings here.
- LEDs contain no mercury and have a much smaller environmental impact than incandescent bulbs.