Saint Louis University Graduate News, Announcements
|University News Links|
University Inaugurates First Lay President in its Nearly 200-Year History
It was a historic day for Saint Louis University on Oct. 3, as nearly 2,500 people came together in Chaifetz Arena to celebrate the inauguration of SLU's new president Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D.
A Roman Catholic and Jesuit educated, Pestello is the first permanent lay leader in the University's history — a fact that was not lost on many of the speakers at Friday's event.
>> Read more
• Dr. Fred P. Pestello Named President of Saint Louis University
• A letter from President-elect Pestello
• Thank you, Father Biondi
• Sept. 30, 2013: Presidential Search Update
• Oct. 1, 2013: Letter from Presidential Search Chair
Dissertation DefensesThe schedule will be updated throughout the term.
- Kelly Dineen, a Ph.D. candidate in Health Care Ethics, will defend her dissertation, "The Good, the Deviant, and the Human: Exploring Select Provider- and Policy-Based Barriers to Appropriate Treatment and Prescribing Practices for Patients in Pain," on July 7, 2015 at 11:00 A.M. in Room 1412D of Salus Center.
- Michael Mwangi Kariuki, a Ph.D. candidate in Educational Foundations, will defend his dissertation, "Factors that May Influence Hispanic Kansas High School Students' Decision to Attend College," on July 9, 2015 at 2:30 P.M. in Room 123 of Fitzgerald Hall.
- Yanxin Jia, a Ph.D. candidate in Chemistry, will defend his dissertation, "Collective Behavior of Oscillatory Electrochemical Reactions on Micro Scale," on July 13, 2015 at 9:00 A.M. in a location yet to be determined. Contact the department for further details.
- Jill Touchette, a Ph.D. candidate in Pharmacological and Physiological Sciences, will defend her dissertation, "Dysfunction of Catecholaminergic Systems in Parkinson's Disease: New Rat Models of Dopaminergic and Noradrenergic Neuropathology," on July 13, 2015 at 3:00 P.M. in Lecture Hall 3 of Schwitalla Hall.
- Elsedikk Abdelkader, a Ph.D. candidate in Chemistry, will defend his dissertation, "Synthesis and Characterization of Reactive Nanoparticles Using Electrical Explosion of Wires and Reverse Micelles," on July 29, 2015 at 1:00 P.M. in Room 342 of Macelwane Hall.
- Darren Garbuz, a Ph.D. candidate in Mathematics, will defend his dissertation, "Decomposing Gluing Maps for Heegaard Diagrams in Terms of Lickorish Generators," on July 29, 2015 at 10:00 A.M. in Room 1030 of McDonnell-Douglas Hall.
The Saint Louis University Board of Trustees has elected Board member Joseph ("Joe") Conran to be its next chairman, effective at the December Board meeting. At that time, current Chairman Joe Adorjan will become Chairman Emeritus and will remain on the Board. Patrick Sly will continue to serve as Vice Chairman of the Board.
Also . . .
- Committee Formed for Assistant to the President for Mission and Identity Search
- Saint Louis University Appoints Nancy Brickhouse, Ph.D., as Provost
- Athletic Training Students Complete Full-Year Clinical with St. Louis Rams
- Parks Professor Receives Prestigious National Science Foundation Award
- College of Arts and Sciences Announces Next Dean
- Public Health Doctoral Student Wins Levy Award
- Provost search committee website launched
- Graduate Education Announces 2014-2015 Fellowship Recipients
- Langan Appointed an Associate Dean of Nursing
Also . . .
- 15 years at the forefront of biosecurity education
- SLU Hosts Event for Local Universities Supporting Mosaic Project's Immigration Efforts
- Biology Graduate Student Publishes Research on Invasive Kudzu Plant
- 21st Annual Graduate Research Symposium Winners Announced
- Graduate Programs Score in U.S. News & World Report Rankings
- Academy of Geriatric Physical Therapy to Host Courses at SLU
- Department of Biomedical Engineering Acquires New Equipment
- Sigma Xi Calls for Abstracts for Research Symposium
- University Hosts Martin Luther King Jr. Annual Tribute
- University Launches New Faith and Justice Collaborative
- Center for Sustainability to Fund Research, Community Projects
- Center for Sustainability to Offer Graduate Assistantships
- Bioinformatics and Computational Biology Master’s Program Announced
- American Journal of Botany Highlights Biology Faculty Research
- Parks College IEEE Hosts Second Annual BillikenBots
The Reading List: Online reports on college, careers and more
Articles and information from the World Wide Web
"From school to work to school again: the changing face of graduate education" (First in a series about graduate education from the St. Louis Beacon)