You and Your Family – Your Child Is No Longer an Eligible Dependent
When your child reaches the age of 26, he/she is no longer eligible for benefits as your dependent through the University effective at the end of the month of their birthday. As this qualifying event can potentially affect payroll deductions for each benefit the dependent is covered under, employees are strongly encouraged to remove dependent from any applicable benefits as soon as possible.
While employees are able to remove the dependent due to this qualifying event, switching plans (such as changing from United Healthcare's Plus Plan to the High Deductible Health Plan) is not allowed. Such changes can only be made during the University's annual open enrollment.
Action Items Checklist:
Review the following [but not limited to these] benefits that should be considered for the age limit qualifying event:
- Medical (Click here for SLU's Medical benefits web page)
- Dental (Click here for SLU's Dental benefits web page)
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Click here for SLU's FSA benefits web page)
- Health Savings Accounts (Click here for SLU's HSA benefits web page)
- Retirement Benefits (Click here for SLU's Retirement benefits web page)
- TIAA can be reached at 800-842-2276 for more information on your retirement funds.
- Log on to www.tiaa.org/slu to submit any changes to your retirement account (i.e. contribution amount, beneficiaries, etc.)
- Life Insurance (Click here for SLU's Life Insurance web page)
- Dependent children are no longer eligible for the Dependent Supplemental Life Insurance upon the attainment of age 19, or 25 if they are a full-time student. To discontinue your supplemental benefit, if applicable, complete the AIG Enrollment Form and submit it to the Benefits office.
- If you have a spouse or younger dependent children that you are also covering under the Dependent Supplemental Life Insurance, no action is required.
In the event of a dependent child's death, employees are also encouraged to contact the Benefits office to make the appropriate changes to respective benefits within 31 days of the dependent's date of death. Please click here for more information.