You and Your Family - Getting Married

You and your spouse will want to evaluate your benefit options to be sure your coverage makes sense for both of you and for any children that might be in your new family. Marriage is considered a family status change so you will be able to make changes to some of your benefits (without having to wait for the open enrollment period in November) providing the change is consistent with and as a result of the marriage and made within 31 days of the marriage.

Action Items Checklist:

  1. Change name (if applicable). 
  2. Bring your new Social Security Card, in person, to the Human Resources office – 3545 Lindell Blvd. 1st Floor. 
  3. Change tax withholding status (if applicable). 
    • Go to the Banner Self-Service and under the Employee tab you will find a link to Tax Forms. Under Tax Forms, you will find the Federal and State W-4s.
  4. Update your marital status using Banner Self-Service.
  5. Make changes to benefits (if applicable).

More Details:
Health and/or Dental Coverage
Changes must be made within 31 days of the marriage.

  • You may wish to add your spouse to your coverage, or drop your coverage, if your spouse is going to cover you under his or her plan.
  • In addition to the enrollment form, you will be required to provide a copy of your marriage certificate to add a spouse to your medical coverage.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
Changes must be made within 31 days of the marriage.

  • If you anticipate changes to your health care or dependent care expenses in the upcoming months due to your change in marital status, you may want to begin participating in a FSA, or increase or decrease the contributions to your existing FSA.
  • You may obtain the FSA Enrollment Form on the Forms and Resources page.

Retirement Benefits
Changes should be made as soon as possible after the marriage.

  • Update your marital status with your retirement vendor. Contact your investment company to update your beneficiary designation.

Life Insurance
Change can be made anytime during the year.

  • You may want to change your beneficiary designation. Forms can be found on the Forms and Resources page.