Tuition Remission for Employees
*Procedures for individuals affected by the MAGIS reduction in force seeking Tuition Remission Benefits will be posted soon.
Eligible Faculty, Staff and Emeritus Faculty may apply for and receive a full waiver of tuition for up to 18 hours per academic year. No more than 6 hours per semester or term will be approved. There is a $25 per credit hour non-refundable fee.
In order for full-time faculty, full-time staff or Emeritus Faculty to be eligible for the benefit, he or she must be considered a full-time faculty or staff member on the first day of classes for the term for which tuition remission benefits are requested and meet requirements for admission as well as maintaining satisfactory academic progress.
New and Improved Online Application Process! Eligible participants apply for the Tuition Remission benefit on-line through the University Banner Self-Service As of the Summer 2011 semester, a universal tuition remission application process was implemented . Available April 1, 2011 the new process requires that you apply once for tuition remission benefits. The approved applications will remain in place until you no longer meet the eligibility requirements. Application Instructions now available!
These tuition remission benefits shall not apply for the following:
- University fees and course related fees
- classes offered at any university, college, junior college or other educational institution other than the University
- tuition in excess of an overall limit of 180 credit hours for undergraduate, graduate and professional school tuition remission
- courses offered by Saint Louis University as non-credit courses or continuing education.
- medical school tuition
- when any satisfactory academic progress or admission requirement established by the Academic Vice President's Office is not met
- a period of one term should a participant withdraw from courses in two consecutive terms or during the majority of terms for which they register in an academic year
Graduate Level Course Tax Liability
Please be aware that the IRS requires employees to pay taxes on graduate tuition benefits that exceed $5,250 in a given calendar year. Employees will receive a letter once the limit is exceeded, and the appropriate taxes will be withheld from paychecks upon receipt of the employee class enrollment report.
To request that advanced tax deductions be withheld for the current Calendar Year, you may fill out the form below and submit the form to Payroll Services. Please read the form carefully as the elections you submit will affect your paycheck amounts for the remainder of the calendar year.