Saint Louis University

B-1/B-2 Visa Program

Who should get a B-1/B-2 visa?
The B-1 visa is for visitors who are coming temporarily to the United States for business purposes, such as consulting with associates or attending a conference. The B-2 visa is for visitors who are coming temporarily to the United States for pleasure or tourism.

Visitors from some countries are permitted to enter the United States without a visa stamp in their passport. These visitors are admitted as B-1/B-2, but under the "Visa Waiver" program.

Please note: B-1/B-2 visitors are prohibited from working or studying in the United States. Visitors entering the country under the B-1 or B-2 categories must apply for and receive approval from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for a change of status before he or she can pursue a course of study in the United States. Saint Louis University strongly discourages prospective international students from entering the country under a visitor category with the intention of filing for a change of status to F-1 student. These petitions are not likely to be approved by the USCIS.

B-1/B-2 visitors may not accept employment until they have received a change of status from the USCIS. There are conditions under which a B-1 visitor may receive an honorarium and reimbursement of expenses for giving a lecture or presenting at a conference. The B-1 or B-2 visitor:

  • Must be at Saint Louis University for no more than 9 days.
  • Must not have accepted similar payments from more than 5 other institutions in the previous 6 months.
  • Please note: Hiring a professor to teach a short course does NOT meet the above criteria.

If you have questions about this kind of visa, please contact the Office of International Services.

Higher purpose. Greater good.
© 1818 - 2016  SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY   |   Disclaimer   |  Mobile Site
St. Louis   |   Madrid