Due to COVID-19, we will not be accepting new participants in the Host Family Program for Fall 2020. Stay tuned for more information in coming months.
Find a Host Family
When you join the Host Family Program, you will be matched with a local host to help you explore U.S. culture, Saint Louis University and the St. Louis area. Unlike a traditional host family situation, this program does not include a housing component, only monthly meetings throughout the academic year.
Hosts are current students, alumni, faculty and staff who care about your success as a Saint Louis University student. Hosts also want to learn about you and your culture; teach them about your country by signing up to be part of the Host Family Program.
What are the benefits and outcomes?
- Increase your English-language skills to better understand and succeed inside and outside the classroom
- Enhance your sense of community at SLU
- Learn about American culture, traditions and customs
- Connect to the University
- Build your cross-cultural competency and understanding
- Meet someone who will answer your questions and serve as your personal advocate
For more information, contact Jordan Weems at 314-977-2490 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Become a Host Family
Each year, Saint Louis University hosts nearly 1,000 international students from 80 different countries. We hope they feel like members of our SLU family. We invite you to help by joining the Host Family Program.
- Make a difference in a student's life by creating memories that last a lifetime
- Learn about another culture, traditions and customs
- Expose yourself (and your family) to new experiences
- Meet once per month with your international student during the academic year
- Attend the fall and/or spring match day
- Participate in one or two international services events each semester
- Show our students you care
- Social connections and interaction
- Opportunities to learn about U.S. culture and customs
- A sense of support and security
- Increased confidence in speaking English
- An advocate, someone looking out for their best interests
SLU’s Office of International Services holds optional monthly activities. These planned events are a great way to bring you and your student together, but we also encourage you to meet up on your own. Here are a few ideas:
- Invite the student to your home for a meal, or prepare a meal together
- Visit St. Louis attractions, such as the zoo or museums
- Provide baked goods or a care package during finals
- Meet for coffee or tea
- Celebrate holidays, birthdays and special occasions together
- Include the student in whatever you normally do
- Your family, friends, home and country
- What you do in your free time
- What you do for holidays, birthdays and special occasions
- Photos of events, family and friends
- Places you have traveled
- Your favorite places to eat or visit in St. Louis
- What the student is studying
- Why you love SLU
- Why the student chose to attend SLU
If you have any questions, contact Jordan Weems, coordinator of SLU’s host family program, at 314- 977-2490 or email@example.com.