- Services and Products
- Academic Resources
- Administrative Systems & Services
- Advanced Technology
- Classroom Technology
- Clinical Information Systems
- Departmental Hardware Purchases
- Departmental Software Purchases
- Gartner IT Library
- Google Apps & Listserv Technology
- Internet & Network Services
- ITS Projects and Plans
- Multimedia Services & Computer Labs
- Office 365
- Research Technology Group
SpectrumU Mobile App
Saint Louis University is happy to announce the availability of the Charter SpectrumU App. SLU is one of a select few universities in the country to offer this service to our community. SpectrumU turns your Apple iOS or Android mobile devices into a TV to watch your favorite live broadcasts while connected to the University's main campus wireless networks - SLUusers, SLUguest, and eduroam.
SpectrumU is an app offered by Charter Communications. To connect to the service, users can download the necessary app through the App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android) and install it on their mobile devices.
What devices is the SpectrumU app available on?
Currently, the SpectrumU app is only available for iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch) running iOS 5.1 or higher and Android devices running 4.0 or higher. Additional device and web support is expected to become available in 2015.
Please keep in mind the following restrictions when using SpectrumU:
- User must be physically located on campus. This does not include connection through our VPN, which is neither permitted nor supported.
- User must be using the official SpectrumU App downloaded from the App Store or Play Store.
- Devices that are "rooted" or "unlocked" may not work with SpectrumU.
Frequenty Asked Questions
Q: What is the SpectrumU app?
A: The SpectrumU App is a mobile application that allows you to stream 50 live TV channels on your mobile device, so long as you are on Saint Louis University's wired or wireless network.
Q: Do I have to pay to use the app?
A: No. SpectrumU is free to anyone on the University's wireless networks (SLUGuest, eduroam, SLU-users).
Q: What mobile devices can I use with the app?
A: The app works Apple iOS devices and Android devices.
Q: What do I need to use the app?
A: You will need to download the SpectrumU app from the Apple app store (iOS) or the Play Store (Android) and have the ability to access the University's wireless network.
Q: How do I watch live content?
A: Make sure your device's WiFi is configured to the one of the University's wireless networks. Tap on the "Live TV" section of the app OR the "Guide" to view channels that you can stream. Click on any program or channel and you can begin watching live!
Q: How do I switch channels?
A: If you are using an iOS device, you can swipe to the left or right while viewing a live program to scan through channels. On an Android device, you can tap the screen while viewing to reveal left (<) or right (>) arrows that can be tapped to page through channels.
Q: Why doesn't the SpectrumU App work off campus?
A: We receive the right to provide these shows and the programming services to you from the TV networks, and they place various limitations on Charter as to how, when and where we can authorize viewing. (The same limits are placed on any other distributors as well.) For some networks or shows, we are unable to offer streamed, live programming outside of the University. We are always working to gain the widest access to view these shows and provide you with the best experience possible.
Q: Why are there some channels not available to watch on the SpectrumU App?
A: For the same reasons you can't watch live channels outside the University (see above). Additional channels will be made available as able.
- On your Android device, launch the Google Play Store.
- On the Play Store home screen, tap the magnifying glass (Search) icon.
- In the search bar, type SpectrumU and select the matching SpectrumU App when it appears.
- Tap the Install button, then tap Accept.
- Once the installation is complete, tap Open within the app listing in the Play Store, or go to your app launch screen to open the app or add it to your home screen.
- On your iOS device, launch the App Store.
- In the search bar, type SpectrumU and select the matching SpectrumU app when it appears.
- Tap the Free button, then tap Install App
- Note: You may be required to enter your iTunes password to complete the installation
Direct Links to download the Apps can be found at this link:
- App freezes while launching: If you are launching the Spectrum U app on your Android device, and the app gets stuck on a black screen with the Charter logo displayed, you may need to kill the app and try again. To kill the app:
- Hold down the Home button on your device until it displays the windows of all apps that are currently running.
- Find the Spectrum U window and swipe it off the screen to quit it completely.
- Go back to your app launch screen tap the app to re-launch it.
- Unable to control volume while streaming: If you are using an Android device and cannot turn the volume up or down, it is likely that the volume rocker button on your device is only changing the ringer volume, when it is the media volume that needs to be adjusted. To change the media volume:
- Pull down the notification bar at the top of your screen, then tap the Settings icon next to the date.
- Tap Sound to view the sliders for each sound type.
- Drag the slider for Media volume as appropriate.
- Spectrum U Service Description
- Spectrum U Channel Listing
- Spectrum U FAQs
- Spectrum U - Installing the App
- Using the Spectrum U App