Skip to main content
Menu Search & Directory

Applying for Accommodations

Academic accommodations are modifications and/or adjustments designed to remove barriers and promote access within your classes at Saint Louis University. Accommodations do not lower the expectations for you and do not change what you are taught or tested on, but can support your ability to learn and demonstrate your knowledge by removing obstacles.

You are responsible for discussing your accommodations with your instructors so that they are able to accommodate your specific needs in that class. You are not required to disclose the nature of your disability, only your approved accommodations.

If you hope to use your approved accommodations for a class, it is best to discuss your needs with your professor at the beginning of the semester and regularly communicate about any adjustments that may need to be made.

Documentation for Academic Accommodations

In order to make the most informed decisions regarding the provision and approval of academic accommodations, our office requests the following medical documentation. 

  1. Information needs to be typed on physician/diagnostician letterhead and signed by a qualified professional
  2. A statement of diagnosis

  3. Function impact or symptoms associated with diagnosis, help to inform our office of which accommodations may be reasonable and appropriate

  4. Severity and/or expected progression

  5. Current medications and any related side-effects

  6. Current and/or past accommodations

  7. Any recommended accommodations

In order to ensure appropriate accommodations are being considered, we ask that documentation be as current as possible.

Download Application for Accommodations

Renewing Accommodations

Accommodations must be renewed annually prior to fall semester. The cycle begins and ends each August.

If you are continuing the same accommodations from previous semesters, you are welcome, but not required, to meet with a staff member in the Office of Disability Services. If you would like to discuss or request other accommodations, please set up an appointment to meet with Disability Services via SLU Appointments.

Download Application for Renewal

Viewing Your Approved Accommodations

If you have approved accommodations, you can view them in Banner:

  1. Visit MySLU.
  2. Select the “Tools” tab at the top and go to Banner Self-Service.
  3. Once you are in Banner, select the “Student” tab.
  4. At the bottom of this page, select "View All Approved Accommodations."

Request for Alternate Format Materials

The testing centers allow for use of alternate format course materials by students who need print materials, including textbooks, in alternative formats as a means of support for a documented condition.

For those who have been provided the accommodation for alternative format texts, there are a couple of steps that you will need to take:

  1. Compile your receipts/proof of purchases
  2. Complete the alternate format course materials request form
  3. Submit the form and proof of purchases to the north campus testing center at

Once you have completed these steps, you should receive a confirmation email once the alternate format materials are ready. If you have any changes in course texts after you have submitted your request form, please inform Disability Services of those adjustments.

Download Alternate Format Course Materials Request Form

Disability Services Confidentiality

Student disability documentation and information is confidential.

You only need to share documented disability and related information with staff in the Office of Disability Services for the purpose of determining reasonable accommodations. Professors, academic advisers and other staff members at SLU do not need to know your specific disability, only the necessary information about your accommodations.

Your approved accommodations will be visible to instructors in Banner. No other information, such as medical diagnosis or case notes, will be visible.


In some situations, it may be necessary for staff members from SLU’s Office of Disability Services to disclose some aspect of your diagnosed information to a faculty member, academic advisor or other counselor if that disclosure will immediately support the SLU personnel in doing their job in a way that benefits you.

Such disclosure is legitimate within the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and the Saint Louis University FERPA Guide.

Disability services staff will weigh each situation carefully and will share only information necessary to address the circumstance at hand.

In most cases when information is disclosed to a SLU employee, it is for one of two reasons:

  1. You spoke to the disability services staff yourself and asked that they speak with the SLU employee.
  2. The SLU employee contacted disability services to seek guidance on how to best support you. Note that disability services makes every attempt to advise SLU employees without such disclosure.

If disability services staff feels that revelation of some information will not improve how the SLU faculty member or staff person will do their job, or if the staff feels that doing so may lead to discrimination or hindrance of your educational rights, then we will not disclose any diagnosis information.

Discussion with Parents/Legal Guardians

Academic accommodations will not be discussed with parents or guardians unless the student has authorized that access through mySLU Share. Even with this authorization, disability services staff will initiate contact with parents and/or guardians only when information from them is needed to facilitate reasonable accommodations.

Disability on Transcripts

Academic transcripts and academic accommodations are separate. Academic transcripts do not in any way indicate if you received accommodations. Information will only be relayed outside of Saint Louis University with your written permission.

Forwarding Files to Another School

The Office of Disability Services can provide copies of your accommodation records from Saint Louis University. This may be helpful in determining academic accommodations if you attend another institution after leaving SLU. You will need to contact our office at 314-977-3484 or to provide us with the contact information of the location to send the files.

Study Abroad Accommodations

Accommodations provided to students within the United States are related to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990. The ADA governs activities within the United States. Classes outside the United States may not necessarily allow you the same access to accommodations due to different laws. If you have a disability and are weighing different campus options, please contact the study abroad office at to further discuss opportunities that may best fit your needs.

For the SLU campus in Madrid, Disability Services at the Saint Louis campus can easily forward accommodations upon request. It is still your responsibility to contact the counselor in Madrid to discuss the process there.

Your documentation on file in the Office of Disability Services office will not automatically transfer to other institutions abroad. Determine who the contact is for that program and work with both study abroad and disability services staff at SLU on transferring information.

Once the documentation is sent, you will need to communicate with the contact abroad to determine any accommodations.