Welcome to SLU-Madrid! We're looking forward to meeting you in Madrid.
Prepare for your arrival in Madrid by completing the items below:
Booking your Flight to Madrid.
Spring 2018 Students
Homestay Move-In Day begins at 8 am in January 7, 2018.
Homestay Move-Out day is Friday, May 11, 2018.* Final exams are held from May 3-10. Professors are not permitted to move exams to accommodate student travel.
Make sure to take a look at the Academic Calendar for Spring 2018 Please note that during Holy Week, you may leave your belongings with your host family, however you will be required to move out during this vacation week. Most students arrange to travel at this time.
Summer 2018 Students
Homestay Move-In Day for Sumer 2018 begins at 8:00 a.m. on May 20, 2018.
Homestay Move-Out day is Sunday, June 24, 2018.*
Fall 2018 Students
Permanent (first-year and transfer): Make your flight arrangements so that you can be at SLU-Madrid on Saturday, September 1 at 12:00 p.m.
On Saturday, September 1, you will head to a retreat center in the mountains outside Madrid for the Welcome Days. Bring a small backpack/suitcase with everything you'll need to spend two nights outside Madrid. Keep in mind that you will do activities such as hiking, tennis, soccer basketball, volleyball, softball during the session.
Study abroad students: Make your flight arrangements to arrive at Madrid-Barajas Airport on Sunday, September 2. SLU-Madrid Staff and Campus Ambassadors will be in Terminal 4 of the airport to welcome you between 8:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
Homestay Move Out Day is December 22, 2018.* Final exams are held from December 17-21. Professors are not permitted to move exams to accommodate student travel.
*If you would like to stay longer, you need to make your own accommodation arrangements for after Move-Out day.
Fill out the Arrival form:
This allows us to ensure that your host family is waiting for you (if you have chosen host family accommodation).
If you change your travel plans after you have entered your arrival information, please email Student Life (email@example.com) with the updated information.
Read through our arrival materials:
- Arrival Information Presentation: practical information on arrival logistics.
- Antes de venir... (Before you arrive): information and advice to help prepare you for life in Madrid as a SLU-Madrid student.
Get your finances and banking in order.
- Change currency so you have at least 50 € (cash) before coming to Spain to cover immediate costs, including taxi fare and other incidentals.
- Bring more than one bank card, preferably Visa or Mastercard, in case you encounter a problem with one of your cards. AMEX is not widely accepted in Spain.
- You may also need to activate your debit/credit cards before you leave for Spain in order to be able to withdraw cash from ATM's.
Make sure you know how to get from the airport to your home in Madrid.
- All students are responsible for making their own way to their housing assignment on Move-In Day.
- We recommend taking a taxi to your destination. The fare from Aldofo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport to any location in Madrid is fixed at €30. Taxis cannot charge an extra fee for luggage. Be sure to carry on you the complete address of your destination. Ask the taxi driver for a receipt: "Necesito un recibo, por favor" before getting out of the taxi. The taxi driver's license number appears on the receipt, allowing you to make contact in case you leave anything in the vehicle or you wish to file a complaint. Tipping taxi drivers is optional in Spain. If you received good service, you may wish to tip one or two euros (maximum).
- Many of our students use airport shuttle services such as MAD SHUTTLE* (www.madshuttle.com) or AEROCITY* (www.aerocity.com).
*These operators are run independently of SLU-Madrid and are responsible for the delivery of their own services.
Travel to your housing assignment on Move-In Day.
If you have arranged with the University to live with a host family:
- Spring 2018 Homestay Move-In Day begins at 8:00 a.m. on January 7, 2018
- Summer 2018 Homestay Move-In Day begins at 8:00 a.m. on May 20, 2018
- Fall 2018 Homestay Move-in Day begins at 8:00 a.m. on September 2, 2018
Housing placement is currently underway. If you have not received the contact information for your University-arranged housing assignment one week before the official Move-In Day, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are responsible for making your own way to your housing assignment on Move-In Day.
We do NOT recommend using the Metro de Madrid to and from the airport, as transporting luggage in the metro escalators is difficult.
You may not move in with your host family prior to 8:00 a.m. on Move-in Day. If you arrive early, you are responsible for your own accommodations. You may find a list of area hotels and hostels by clicking here.
If you need to store your belongings while you travel, you may use a storage company.
Students in the past have had positive experiences with Bluespace.
MANDATORY WELCOME SESSIONS
See you at the welcome session! The schedules are available here. Please make your travel arrangements accordingly, as they are mandatory.