The host family process starts with filling out an application, so be sure to do that as soon as possible when planning to study at Saint Louis University-Madrid.
The application will require you to fill out your full name, date of birth and Banner ID. You will also pay the application fee for your application to be considered complete.
We will start placing first-year students with host families on a first-come, first-served basis starting April 15 for the fall semester. (Summer 2023 students are on a different timeline and should contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.)
Study abroad students for fall 2023 will have access to the host family portal starting in late May or early June.
Confirming your host family
Once our housing team assigns your host family, we will send you all of their details and the required housing agreement for you to sign. To lock in your reservation with your host family, you must either pay the semester in full by Aug. 1, or pay the first installment of a payment plan.
What you need to know:
- If you arrive in Madrid before your official move-in date, you must make separate living arrangements for those days.
- Failure to make the initial payment by the deadline could result in losing your housing reservation.
- Students who apply for housing after Aug. 1 must make the first payment immediately after receiving their housing assignment.
- If you are unable to make the payment in time, please contact the Office of Finance.
Check out the 2022-2023 payment information and deadlines here
|Host family options||
Summer I & II 2023
|Fall 2023||Spring 2024|
|Host family with semi-independent living||1,025 euros||2,700 euros||2,700 euros|
|Host family with room and half board||1,500 euros||4,150 euros||4,150 euros|
|Housing application fee (due with application, non-refundable)||200 euros||200 euros||200 euros|
Housing payment information is sent by email directly to the enrolled student. If parents, guardians or home institutions are paying for housing, it's the student's responsibility to keep them informed.
All students must make their housing payments directly to SLU-Madrid, even if they pay tuition to their home institution.
The following housing payment plans — with accompanying payment deadlines — for the 2023-2024 year are below. Please email email@example.com with any questions.
- Summer 1 2023: April 28
- Summer 2 2023: May 31
- Fall 2023: Aug. 1
- Spring 2024: Dec. 1
This option is only available for fall and spring terms.
- Aug. 1 (25% due)
- Sept. 1 (25% due)
- Oct. 2 (25% due)
- Nov. 1 (25% due)
- Dec. 1 (25% due)
- Feb. 1 (25% due)
- March 1 (25% due)
- April 1 (25% due)
Payment due dates for students awaiting the arrival of U.S. federal or home university institutional financial aid. This option is only available for fall and spring terms.
- Aug. 1 (400 euros due)
- Oct. 2 (50% due)
- Oct. 16 (50% due)
- Dec. 1 (400 euros due)
- Feb. 6 (50% due)
- Feb. 20 (50% due)
Those who choose to pay in installments are subject to a fee of 20 euros for each payment made after the deadline.
You may pay online by going to mySLU.edu-Madrid Student Housing. You'll be required to provide your student ID number and birth date to log into the housing payment page.
Our payment system uses Flywire, which accepts payments from any country (typically in your home currency) and can be made using a credit card or bank transfer. Here are some helpful videos about how to make payments using Flywire. Flywire has support available 24/7 by phone, email or Skype.
If you have trouble making an online payment, contact the Office of Finance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please read through the refund policies before applying for housing with a host family arranged by the University.
As indicated above, the housing application fee is non-refundable. However, the application fee of an admitted student who defers enrollment will be kept as a credit on the student's account for one full academic year. After that year, it is non-refundable.
Students are eligible for a full or partial refund of their housing payment or payments according to the following guidelines:
- Students may receive a full refund of payments made toward the upcoming term's housing summary if, before the official confirmation date, they inform the housing coordinator in writing that they no longer plan to live with a host family.
- If a student formally withdraws from the University during the semester, they may receive a partial refund of the semester's entire housing cost according to the timetable and percentages indicated below.
Academic Year 2023-2024
|Term||University Withdrawal Date*||Percent Refundable Housing, Based on Prior Full Payment|
|Summer I 2023||
|Summer II 2022||
- Leave host-family housing arranged through the University after having taken occupancy but remain enrolled at SLU-Madrid;
- Are suspended from host-family housing arranged through the University for disciplinary reasons for a period of time; and/or
- Are expelled from the University or host-family housing arranged through the University for disciplinary reasons.
If a student fails to make a payment by the due dates listed above, the University will put a hold on the student's account. A hold prevents you from registering for classes, among other things, so be sure to work out a financial plan with the Office of Finance as soon as possible if you're worried you might miss a deadline.