- Student Services
At SLU-Madrid, we believe that personal well-being is essential for academic success. Students who are struggling with personal issues (e.g., relationship issues, emotional distress, mental illness, etc.) may contact SLU-Madrid Counseling Services for help. At the Counseling Center, you can receive a free consultation about issues affecting you, at which time the Counseling Center staff will help you find the appropriate follow-up services off campus.
Why seek counseling services?
You will face many new challenges and significant personal and social changes during your college years. These changes can be particularly difficult when experienced in a different setting and culture and far from your everyday support system (family, friends, etc.). While adjusting to these changes, you may find that your academic performance, career plans, personal lives and relationships are negatively affected. Often, it can be helpful to seek help and advice from others during this time.
What kinds of counseling services are available for students at SLU-Madrid?
COUNSELING AND PSYCHOLOGICAL SERVICES:
If you are in need of counseling services, you have two options:
- Free Consultation at the SLU Counseling Center: SLU-Madrid provides brief consultation services for students at no cost to the student. Appointments last approximately 30 minutes. During this time, the counselor will help you identify the problem, and make recommendations about service and/or treatment options that are available to you.
Follow-up Services at Sinews MTI (Sinews takes HTH Health Insurance): If you need follow-up mental-health services (e.g., psychotherapy, psychiatric evaluation, etc.), you will be referred to a private mental health care provider in Madrid, Sinews Multilingual Therapy Institute. The multilingual, multicultural staff at Sinews MTI are trained, licensed psychologists and psychiatrists who provide the latest, empirically-based psychological treatments in an environment that is private and completely confidential. SLU-Madrid will provide between one and six sessions (to be determined by the counselor who performs the consultation), free of charge, for students in need. *If you wish to continue receiving psychological services after having used the allotment of free sessions, you should make arrangements with Sinews to pay for the service privately. Sinews also takes HTH Health Insurance.
- Free Consultation at Sinews Multilingual Therapy Institute (Sinews takes HTH Health Insurance): If you prefer to go directly to Sinews MTI, or if you are unable to make an appointment with the Counseling Center due to urgency or scheduling issues, you may contact Sinews MTI directly in order to request an appointment with one of their bilingual psychologists. (All receptionists speak English; you should identify that you are enrolled as a student at SLU-Madrid when making the appointment). Just as in the SLU Counseling Center, there is no charge for the first appointment, and the Sinews psychologist will then determine if you are eligible for up to five more free sessions. Additional information regarding Sinews MTI is available at www.sinews.es. After that, you will be billed or you may use HTH Health Insurance. Telephone: (34) 91.700.1979.
If you are in need of psychiatry services, you have two options:
- Referral by the SLU Counseling Center: You may schedule a consultation at the SLU-Madrid Counseling Center, at which time you will receive a voucher for two free sessions with the psychiatrist at Sinews MTI. After that, you will be billed or you may use HTH Health Insurance. If you wish to take advantage of this free service, you must contact the Counseling Center for a referral, and may not self-refer to Sinews without a referral/authorization from a SLU counselor.
- Self-Referral to Sinews MTI: If you would like to consult with a Board-certified Spanish psychiatrist (e.g. to consult about taking a new medication, or to obtain a prescription for a current medication that is valid in Spain), but prefer not to contact the SLU Counseling Center, you may contact Sinews MTI directly to schedule an appointment with one of their bilingual psychiatrists. *Remember: if you solicit psychiatric services privately without going through the SLU Counseling Center, you must pay for the psychiatry services privately. Sinews also takes HTH Health Insurance. Sinews MTI offers a discount for SLU students.
Sinews MTI Telephone: (34) 91.700.1979.
How do I make an appointment at the SLU Madrid Counseling Center?
During the Fall semester 2016, the Counseling Center is open during the following hours:
- Tuesday and Thursday 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Friday 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Other upon appointment (contact: email@example.com or extension 230)
To make an appointment with a University counselor, send an email with your availability and class schedule to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Counselors will make every effort to provide you with the first available appointment that fits your schedule. You may also call the Counseling Center directly during office hours at Tel. 91.554.58.58, ext. 230.
The Counseling Center is located in San Ignacio Hall, on the third floor, in the Advising Wing.
Students from all cultures, languages, races, religions, gender and sexual orientation are welcome.
What if I have a mental health crisis or a counseling emergency?
If you or another student you know is experiencing a mental-health crisis, you can call the Counseling Emergency telephone 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You will be able to speak directly with a bilingual psychiatrist from Sinews MTI, who will help you receive emergency mental health services if necessary. Telephone: +34 609 269 323