- Aeronautics - Aviation Management Concentration
- Aeronautics - Flight Science - Global Aviation option - Professional Pilot
- Aerospace Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science Major
- Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Physics
- Engineering Minor
- Science and Engineering Preparation Year
- Mechanical Engineering
2 years in Madrid + 2 years in St. Louis, MO, USA
Program Educational Objectives
Our Bachelor of Science degree program in Mechanical Engineering provides you with a strong foundation of coursework in engineering graphics, engineering mechanics, fluid mechanics, mechanics of solids, material science, thermal science, vibrations, controls, mechatronics and design.
What is Mechanical Engineering?
Mechanical engineering involves the design, analysis, manufacturing, testing, operation and quality control of products. Mechanical engineers also work in field of the research and development of new technologies. In addition to mechanically oriented industries, they are employed in aerospace, biomedical, chemical, computer and electrical industries. The design and development of user-friendly products, energy-efficient and smart devices, effective structures using smart materials and advanced medical devices are some of the future challenges for the mechanical engineer. Our mechanical engineering program prepares you to be a part of this future.
Mechanical Engineering Program Objectives
- Prepare students to become practicing mechanical engineers and/or to pursue further professional development and graduate studies.
- Provide an education that will allow students to understand their career within the broader societal and ethical context.
- Unique Features of the Program
"Saint Louis University has provided me with the opportunity to explore and merge philosophical and technological ideas that govern human understanding and growth. It was made possible via the diverse and intellectual community that I was a part of while studying at the two campuses, SLU-Madrid and SLU-Missouri. These resources have helped me become a well-rounded engineer, professional, entrepreneur, and a global citizen."
Aakash Gupta '16
Honors B.S. in Mechanical Engineering - India
- You will be introduced to computer modeling using Pro-Engineer software in your freshman year. You will continue to use personal computers throughout the curriculum.
- You will learn to use computer numerically controlled machines during the junior and senior years.
- Our facilities. Our fluid, thermal, material and structural testing equipment provides an excellent opportunity to apply theory to real-world problems and issues. The structures laboratory is equipped with several universal testing machines and strain-gauge units. A mechatronics laboratory with programmable logic controllers and robots, a rapid prototyping machine and various machine tools including a vertical machining center are available, as well as a modern composite materials laboratory.
- The practice of design skills has been carefully integrated into the curriculum. In particular, in your second year, you will take Introduction to Design and Manufacturing, which focuses on the significance of design decisions on products, machines and society
- The design experience culminates with a sequence of two capstone design courses during your senior year. In these courses, you will work closely with faculty and industry to produce a unique design solution.
- The mechanical engineering curriculum is professionally accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (EAC of ABET).
- Our engineering courses are taught by an exceptionally well-qualified faculty who strive to make your educational experience both technically challenging and enjoyable.
- Our students develop strong written and oral communication skills in Spanish and English.
Visit the Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering Department at the St. Louis Campus.