Minor in Performing Arts
The Minor in performing arts offered on the Madrid campus gives students the opportunity to develop their skills in any of its three disciplines (dance, music, theatre) within the context of a unified approach. This provides students with a basic knowledge of each discipline and of the global reality of stage arts, in which these disciplines often serve and enhance one another. This minor also provides students with a broad overview of the different aspects of the stage in a Spanish/Latin - or more broadly European - context. The primary objective is to make students aware of the close relationship and interdependence between the different stage-art disciplines, and of the importance of understanding these disciplines in order to gain a global insight into stage creativity, and into the creative essence of humankind.
The minor consists of the completion of 18 credits. Students must:
- Complete the Introduction to the Performing Arts course (3 credits).
- Complete at least one 3-credit course counting toward the program’s concentration requirement in the discipline of their choice (dance, music, theatre). Courses counting toward the concentration requirement, but outside the student’s chosen discipline, may be taken as electives.
- Complete additional elective courses in at least two of the three fields of theatre, music and dance. (10 credits).
- Complete at least four of these credits in courses designated as part of the group performance requirement, in which the student takes part in a collaborative performance or theatre production. In the latter case, work as crew members, as dancers, and/or as live musicians - if they are employed in the production - counts toward these credits.
- Present a final solo or group capstone performance - lasting between 10 and 20 minutes - that displays what has been learned through the minor. This could be a theatre work, a monologue, a solo or ensemble musical recital, a dance piece or a musical theatre piece. (2 credits)
Required Foundation Core Course (3 credits):
THR 1010 Introduction to the Performing Arts
Concentration Requirement Courses (3 credits, in a discipline of student’s choice):
DANC 2630 Modern Dance/Modern Movement
MUSC 1000 Approaching the Arts (Music)
MUSC 1100 Music Fundamentals
THR 3500 Playscript Analysis
Elective Courses (10 credits)
At least 4 of these credits must be covered by designated Group Performance courses, which are marked with an asterisk.
All students enrolled in the minor must take electives in at least two of the three disciplines covered by the minor (dance, music, theatre).
Courses in the Concentration Requirement, but outside the student’s choice of concentration, may be taken as electives.
DANC 2650 Spanish Dance: Flamenco* (3 credits)
DANC 2670 The New Flamenco Experience* (2 credits)
DANC 3680 Advanced Spanish Dance: Flamenco II* (1-2 credits)
DANC 2660 Latin Rhythms and Dance* (2-3 credits)
DANC 2680 Advanced Latin Rhythms and Dance* (1-2 credits)
MUSC 2010 Applied Music (Voice) (1-2 credits)
MUSC 2020 Applied Music (Piano) (1-2 credits)
MUSC 2030 Applied Music (Guitar) (1-2 credits)
MUSC 2930 ST: Winds and Strings Instrumental Coaching (1-3 credits)
MUSC 3420 University Chorale* (1 credit)
THR 2510 Acting I (3 credits)
THR 2400 Page to Stage (3 credits)
THR 3560 Theatre Workshop (1 or 2 credits, repeatable to 3 credits)*
Capstone: Final Performance Project (2 credits): DANC 4980,MUSC 4980 or THR 4980 Independent Study