Middle East Studies
SLU-Madrid joins Saint Louis University's Center for International Studies in offering a minor in Middle East Studies.
Our minor in Middle East Studies (MES) addresses many historical and contemporary issues related to the Middle East. Students at the Madrid Campus benefit from courses that deal with various topics, such as religious coexistence in medieval Spain, the presence of Jesus in the Qur'an, archaeology of the Bible, and an introduction to the politics of the Middle East and North Africa. The objective of this minor is to give you a maximum number of tools to better understand the history, culture and realities of the Middle East. This course is an excellent preparation for students who wish to work in the fields of international relations and studies.
Our MES minor requires a minimum of 16 credits from approved courses in consultation with the MES coordinator. The variety of electives allows you to tailor the minor to your individual interests, and enhances other international programs offered at SLU, giving you a special perspective on this key part of the world.
The MES minor also requires two semesters (6 credit hours) of university-level Arabic. This condition may not apply to speakers of Arabic as a first language, or to students who can demonstrate equivalent proficiency through examination. In these cases, students take an additional 3-hour elective from the list of approved courses instead. The same applies to students who are proficient in any other Middle Eastern language (such Turkish, Farsi, Kurdish, or Hebrew). Students who are proficient in another Middle East language should discuss their course of study with the coordinator of the minor.
As part of the required capstone project, students revise a research paper that was originally written for one of the elective courses from the minor. They present their papers at an annual capstone event during their senior year.
Students may use the attached checklist to track their progress through the MES minor.
Middle East Studies courses offered at SLU-Madrid:
- HIST 3760 Medieval Spain: Christians, Jews, and Moors
- HIST 3770 History of the Jews in Spain
- ISTD 1100 Intro to International Studies (1 credit)
- POLS 2930 ST: Intro to Politics of the Middle East and North Africa
- THEO 2490 Studies in Theology and History: Muslims, Christians, and Jews
- THEO 2730 Islam: Religion and Culture
- THEO 2750 Jerusalem: City of Three Faiths
- THEO 2930 ST: The Bible and the Holy Land
- THEO 2930 ST: The Qur'an and the Bible
- THEO 3115 Old Testament: Prophets
- THEO 3490 Studies in Theology and History: Archaeology of the Bible
- THEO 3730 Jewish Life and Thought
- THEO 3930 ST: Ancient Israel and the Near East
- THEO 3930 ST: Jesus in the Qur'an
- THEO 4710 Islam & Christian Theology: Comparing Theological Themes
For more information on our Middle East Studies minor, please contact:
Barah Mikail, Ph. D., Middle East Studies Coordinator.