Ibero-American Studies Minor
Why should I pursue on Ibero-American studies minor at SLU-Madrid?
- To gain expertise on Latin America, the Caribbean, and the Iberian Peninsula, enhancing your major area of study.
- To link together a variety of courses (from different disciplines).
- To “have something to show” from your electives or your studies abroad (visiting students can complete the minor while staying on track with home university requirements).
- To participate in a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience Ibero-America first-hand by visiting South American countries where you will interact with local cultures, participate in university seminars, tour historical sights and volunteer within the local community.
- To develop valuable interpersonal skills for working with the significant percentage of the population in the U.S. whose cultural roots are in Spanish-speaking countries.
The minor program in Ibero-American studies (IAS) offered on the Madrid Campus provides a richly interdisciplinary approach to the history, politics and culture of Spain, Portugal and Latin America. Courses - drawn from the fields of history, political science, anthropology, archaeology, economics, art history, philosophy and theology, as well as Spanish literature and Portuguese - enable students to explore the complex dynamics of Ibero-American societies, from the pre-historic era to the present. Moreover, by living and studying in Madrid and taking part in trips to or experiential opportunities in Latin America and different regions of the Iberian Peninsula, you will not only study Ibero-American issues, but actually experience them.
The IAS minor requires six courses, and courses of study may be tailored based on your interests and career aspirations. At the Madrid Campus you can complete the IAS minor in two semesters or in one semester plus one to two summer sessions. Because the minor is multidisciplinary, you may simultaneously pursue it and your major area, all while staying on track for an on-time graduation (the IAS minor also fulfills your “remaining hours” requirement of completing a minor or major).
Today’s marketplace demands that potential employees be cross-culturally aware and proficient in a second language. The IAS minor Program at SLU-Madrid is designed for those who seek to enhance their undergraduate degree with a multidisciplinary education in the Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking world. This program offers a wide range of courses in the humanities, the social sciences and the natural sciences, with both English and Spanish (and, where appropriate, Portuguese) as the language of instruction. The program goes beyond academic study placing cultural and political issues in a contemporary context. SLU-Madrid offers this experience from a unique perspective—Madrid, Spain—the social, political, and economic capital of Iberia.
Program Fact Sheet