We champion innovative care, groundbreaking research and health education to provide holistic rehabilitation and reconstruction to those who have experienced traumatic injury or illness in order to rebuild bodies, minds, and spirits, regain independent lives and discover renewed life purpose.
The mission of Saint Louis University is the pursuit of truth for the greater glory of God and for the service of humanity. The University seeks excellence in the fulfillment of its corporate purposes of teaching, research, health care, and service to the community. Following in this mission, the Oberle Institute will excel in:
- Providing individualized, comprehensive, and longitudinal treatment programs that help traumatically injured persons develop resiliency and achieve optimal post-traumatic growth
- Conducting first-rate innovative clinical and translational research to improve care for this unique patient population
- Educating the next generation of health care providers in an interdisciplinary, complex patient care setting
- Developing and advocating health policy initiatives to advance legislation that facilitates government support for this unique patient population
- Expanding the Catholic Jesuit value of serving God and all humanity by taking the Oberle Institute model to international mission sites and empowering local communities to best care for their traumatically injured patient population
The Oberle Institute will foster maximal recovery grounded in the Catholic, Jesuit tradition of exceptional education and compassionate care.
In the spirit of cura personalis, a Jesuit ideal meaning “care of the whole person,” an expert team of physicians and other health care providers from more than a dozen departments at Saint Louis University and SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital will partner together to provide each patient with a personalized treatment program designed to treat the whole person and help them get from the emergency room to living life to the fullest.
The Oberle Institute will provide patients with a clear understanding of their treatment and a feeling of empowerment to grow, make his or her own decisions, and thrive in every aspect of recovery. This type of compassionate, patient-centered care ensures that each patient heals on all levels, achieves optimal post-traumatic growth in his or her recovery, and regains the confidence to live as fully as possible.