- Prospective Medical Students
Mission and Values
The mission of Saint Louis University School of Medicine is to educate future professionals from diverse backgrounds to practice and advance knowledge in medicine and the sciences relevant to medicine. The educational approach embraces integrated activities in basic and clinical research, in provision of patient-centered, compassionate, culturally competent health care, and involvement with the community through public service. These diverse educational experiences prepare individuals for careers and leadership roles in medicine and the medical sciences through training grounded in an understanding of the scientific method and an appreciation for personal commitment and service to others.
In pursuit of its mission, the Saint Louis University School of Medicine seeks to impart to its students the following values:
- A concern for the sanctity of human life.
- A commitment to dignity and respect in the provision of medical care to all patients.
- A devotion to social justice, particularly as regards inequities in availability of and access to health care.
- Humility in awareness of medicine’s inherent limitations in the cure of illness.
- An appreciation for all of the factors that affect a person’s state of health or illness.
- A mature and well-balanced professional behavior that derives from comfortable relationships with members of the human family and one’s Creator.