- Residents & Fellows
- Graduate Medical Education
- Graduate Medical Education Policies & Procedures
- School of Medicine policies for student teaching
- Resources GME
- Program Accreditation Graduate Medical Education
- GME Committee - Organization
- Affiliated Hospitals
- Residency Search Options
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates
- GME Benefits
- Student Financial Assistance
- Saint Louis University Resident's Association (SLURA)
- GME Research Symposium
- Residency & Fellowship Activities
- Poster Titles
- Poster Titles 2017
- Orientation PGY I
- Orientation PGY II
- Event Calendar
- 2014 Drug Free Schools & Communities Act
- Office of Academic Affairs
- University Health Plan
Orientation PGY I
PGY I Housestaff Orientation
June 19, 20 & 21, 2017
Dear Incoming PGY I Housestaff Member:
Welcome to Saint Louis University School of Medicine. Your University Orientation will be held June 19, 20 & 21, 2017 (Monday thru Wednesday) beginning at 7:00 a.m. daily. Below is the link to an agenda detailing our orientation events. Upon successful completion of orientation, you will receive a portion of your monthly stipend by June 30, 2017 (if you possess a social security card), otherwise you will be paid July 31, 2017. Orientations with our affiliate hospitals are scheduled sometime during the weeks of June 19th and June 26th. More information on those orientations will be made available upon arrival.
Your day will begin at the Learning Resource Center, 3544 Caroline Mall, St. Louis, MO 63104 (Number 14 on the SLU Med Campus Map). You may park in the Hickory East Garage, 3424 Hickory Street, St. Louis, MO 63104 (Number 13 on the map). Please be sure to have your license plate number for parking documentation completion.
GETTING STARTED: THINGS YOU MUST COMPLETE
The instructions below contain important information regarding your orientation and employee processing. Please read this information in its entirety and fully comply with all instructions.
Complete the Section 1 of the I-9 Form (Employment Eligibility Verification) which is required by the government for all employees prior to the first day of orientation (no computers will be available at orientation).
DO THIS BEFORE YOU ARRIVE FOR ORIENTATION:
A link to the I-9 eXpress website is provided below for completion of the form. Under the "Start a New I-9" window, The site is going to ask you for an Employer Name or Code, the code is: 10065. YOU SHOULD ENTER 6/19/2017 AS YOUR HIRE DATE.
Once Section 1 is completed, based upon your answers, the site will provide you with a list of "acceptable form(s) of identification" to bring to Human Resources on the first day of Orientation to complete part two of the I-9 process. IF YOU DO NOT COMPLETE THIS PROCESS, YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO START YOUR RESIDENCY AND WILL NOT RECEIVE A PAYCHECK.
Please complete this process before attending orientation:
Follow the steps below to complete the electronic Form I-9 through the I-9 eXpress website:
1. Use this link: http://www.newi9.com/
2. In the Employer Name or Code field enter 10065, then click Go.
3. Once on the login page you will be required to enter the text shown, for security validation purposes, and then click continue.
4. Complete the designated fields. Please enter 6/19/2017 as your HIRE DATE on the Form I-9.
5. Provide your electronic signature by checking the box and providing your initials.
6. You will be taken to a new page which states you have successfully completed Section 1 of the Form I-9. Please print this page for your records. This page will provide you with important information regarding the forms of identification you may provide to your employer for the purpose of verifying employment eligibility.
7. Bring the acceptable document(s) of identification as indicated one the Form I-9 and one copy (original plus one copy) with you on your first day of orientation.
2. LOGGING INTO BANNER SELF-SERVICE: (must have your banner id to do this): Do this before completing Tax Forms!!!
Please go to banner.slu.edu and click on "password management site" to setup your new password. Your Program Coordinator will provide you with a BANNER ID (employee ID number) and SLUnet Log-In (this is your email address as well, without the @slu.edu suffix). Your default password is the (case-sensitive) letters; capital "I" lower case "d" and the last six digits of your Banner ID, for example: Id123456. You will need to use the username and default password you were provided with by your Program Coordinator to change your password and log into Banner Self-Service. Once you have reset your password you can log into Banner Self-Service and go to mail.slu.edu and login for access to your SLU email account.
3. COMPLETE TAX FORMS
TAX INFORMATION FOR U.S. CITIZENS:
Default settings for Federal and State withholdings are Single with Zero Allowances. New employees will be setup with those rates of withholding. If you wish to change this default, log into Banner Self-Service and click on the EMPLOYEE tab, then select TAX FORMS and follow the provided instructions.
TAX INFORMATION FOR FOREIGN NATIONALS:
You will be contacted, via email, by Brandy Sisson in Payroll Services with instructions and forms you are required to complete and return prior to orientation. If you have not been contacted by Brandy prior to June 5th, please email her at email@example.com.
4. DIRECT DEPOSIT
Log into Banner Self-Service, click on the EMPLOYEE tab, then click on Pay Information and setup your Direct Deposit Allocation. Please note: the University assumes no risk in incorrect or inaccurate account information completed by the employee. You should check your bank account each payday to verify your direct deposit. The University will only issue payments through direct deposit.
NOTE: If you do not have a Social Security Number, you will receive your first paycheck at the end of July. The Social Security Administration requires that you have to be in the US at least 10 days before a number will be issued. The web address to the SSA webpage is: http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/.
5. UNIVERSITY HEALTH PLAN MEDICAL INSURANCE (Please complete before your arrival to Orientation)
The University Health Plan (UHP) is a health and medical care cost coverage plan sponsored by Saint Louis University. The UHP partners with Aetna Student Health to administer the benefits of the plan. UHP coverage is provided to eligible (non-military) Medical Residents and their dependents as part of the benefits during GME Training. Specific directions regarding how to enroll will be routed in the near future. Please note that Medical Residents will need to have their Banner ID Numbers and dependent demographic data (i.e., names, birthdates) to complete enrollment.
In addition, the UHP Office requires copies of source documents such as marriage and birth certificates to substantiate eligibility of dependents.
Please bring copies of these source documents to your Medical Resident orientation. Please note your full name amd banner ID# on your copies.
UHP representatives will be on-hand during orientation to accept your copies and answer any additional questions about the plan.
Additional information regarding the UHP is available at: https://www.slu.edu/medicine/graduate-programs/departments/university-health-plan-(uhp)