Joan E. Dodgson, PhD, MPH, RN, FAAN
Patricia and James R. Hemak Endowed Professor in Maternal Child Nursing Research
My areas of teaching are health disparities, lactation and research methods.
- Monroe Community College, NY, Associate Degree in Nursing
- Empire College, NY, Bachelor of Science (LA)
- University of California Los Angeles, Masters of Nursing (MCH)
- University of Minnesota, Doctor of Philosophy (Nursing)
- University of Minnesota, Masters Public Health (MCH)
- 2015 - 2016 Breastfeeding Experiences of Cambodian Women. Funding: Southwest Clinical Lactation Education Program; $3,000.
- 2013 - 2016 Changing the Trajectories of Chronic Illness among Native Hawaiians. Funding: National Institute of Minority Health & Health Disparities [5R24MD008103] $250,000 x 3 yrs.
- 2014 - 2016 Arizona Lactation Consultant Survey. Unfunded.
- 2013 - 2015 Japanese Nursing Students' Perceptions of Foreign Educators. Funded: Saku University, Japan USD $58,000.
- 2012 - 2013 Pediatrician's Compliance with the WHO Code in Maricopa County. Unfunded.
- 2007- 2011 A perinatal risk reduction intervention with Native Hawaiian women [1R21NR010218]. Funding: National Institute of Nursing Research; $330,000/3 years.
Publications and Media Placements
- Dodgson, J. E. (2016). Walking the Talk. [Editorial] Journal of Human Lactation. 32(3). 1.
- Dodgson, J. E. (2016). Transitions. [Editorial] Journal of Human Lactation. 32(2), 1.
- Tarrant, M. Lok, K.Y.W., Tak, D. T., Fong,, Wu, K. M., Lee, I. L. Y., Sham, A., Lam, C., Bai, D. I., Wong, K. L., Wong, E. M. Y., Noel P. T. Chan, N. P. T. & Dodgson, J.E. (2016). Impact on Baby-Friendly Hospital practices when hospitals stop accepting free infant formula from manufacturers. Journal of Human Lactation, 32 (2), 238-249.
- Yuen, C., Dodgson, J. E. & Tarrant, M. (2016). Perceptions of Hong Kong Chinese women toward influenza vaccination during pregnancy. Vaccine, 34, 33-40.
- Joseph, R., Keller, C., Ainsworth, B. & Dodgson, J. E. (2015). Barriers to physical activity among African American women: An integrative review of the literature. Women and Health, 55 (6), 679-699.
- Tarrant, M., Lok, K.Y.W., Fong, D.Y.T., Lee, I.L.Y., Sham, A., Lam, C., Wu, Wong, E. M. Y., Bai1, D.L. & Dodgson, J. E. (2015) Free infant formula, in-hospital formula supplementation and breastfeeding duration in Hong Kong: A quasi-experimental study. Public Health Nutrition, 18(14), 2689-2699.
- Benitez, T. J., Dodgson, J. E., Coe, K. & Keller, K. (2015). Utility of acculturation in physical activity in Latinas: An integrative review of literature. Health Education & Behavior, 43(3) 256 -270.
- Oneha, M.F. & Dodgson, J. E. (2014) Lessons learned: Refining the research infrastructure at community health centers. Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action, 8 (1) 61-65. NOTE: This article was chosen to be accompanied by a podcast (12.12.13). Only one article per issue is chosen. Transcript published see non-referred publications.
- Tarrant, M., Dodgson, J.E. & Wu K.M. (2014) Factors contributing to early cessation of breastfeeding in Hong Kong: An exploratory study. Midwifery, 30(10), 1088-95.
- Dodgson, J. E., Oneha, M. F. & Choi, M. (2014). Predictors of PTSD in high-risk prenatal Native Hawaiian women. Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, 4(59), 494-502.
- Dodgson, J. E., Bloomfield, M. & M. Choi. (2014) Are college students' beliefs about infant feeding evidence-based? Nursing Education Today, 34, 92-99 (published on-line 3.27.13).
- Dodgson, J. E., Watkins, A. L., Bond, A. B., Kintaro -Tagaloa, C., Arellano, A. & Allred, P. (2014) Compliance with the International Code of Marketing of Breast-Milk Substitutes: An observational study of pediatricians' waiting rooms. Breastfeeding Medicine, 9(3), 135-141.
- Watkins, A. L. & Dodgson, J. E. (2016). Chapter 9: Challenges of multidisciplinary breastfeeding education: Culture, class and power. In M. Labbok & P. Hall-Smith Advancing Breastfeeding: Forging Partnerships for a Better Tomorrow. Praeclarus Press. pp. 71-78.
- Dodgson J.E. (2012) Chapter 21: Race, racism and breastfeeding. In P. Hall-Smith, B. L. Hausman & M. Labbok. Beyond Health, Beyond Choice: Breastfeeding Constraints and Realities. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press. Pp. 74-83.
- Dodgson, J. E. (2011). Chapter 22: The co-creating environment: A nexus between classical Chinese philosophy and current nursing theories. In P. G. Reed & N. B. Shearer, Perspectives on Nursing Theory (6th Ed.). New York: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. Pp. 178-184.
Honors and Awards
- Editor in Chief Journal of Human Lactation
- Fellow American Academy of Nursing
- Delegate United States Breastfeeding Committee
- Board of Directors Saint Louis Breastfeeding Coalition
Professional Organizations and Associations
- American Nurses Association
- Council on the Advancement of Nursing Science
- International Academy of Nursing Editors
- International Lactation Consultant Association
- Sigma Theta Tau International: International Nursing Honor Society (member 1986-present)