Saint Louis University

General Information

The Office of the University Registrar serves as a liaison between SLU veteran students and the VA.  We assist student veterans with the processing of the VA forms required for educational benefits, advise student veterans concerning certain procedural requirements, and certify the enrollment of SLU student veterans to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Because eligibility for education benefits is determined solely by the VA, questions regarding eligibility should be directed to the VA at or by calling 1-888-442-4551.

Accessing VA Benefits at SLU 

Before using VA benefits at Saint Louis University, all veterans and dependents must provide documentation of eligibility.  For veterans, this documentation includes your DD-214 and your Certificate of Eligibility.  For dependents, this includes your Certificate of Eligibility and the Department of Defense authorization for transferred benefits.  If you have submitted your application for benefits to the VA, but have not yet received a Certificate of Eligibility, a copy of the full application will suffice until you receive the Certificate of Eligibility.

New Students - If you are a new student who is a Veteran or other eligible dependent that has never used your VA education benefits and would like to apply, you need to complete and submit an application at

Transfer Students - Any student who previously received VA education benefits (other than Vocational Rehabilitation) at another school must complete a Change of Program or Place of Training Form.  It can be found online here:

All students must also complete a "Veterans Benefits Registration Form" each semester they wish to receive benefits.  This will be sent to the student by the Veterans Certifying Official after proof of eligibility has been submitted.  It will subsequently be sent via email to all returning veterans and dependents when registration opens for next semester.


Post 9/11 GI Bill ©
For important information regarding the Post 9/11 GI Bill © please see the following
VA post 9/11 GI Bill © website.

Student Veterans Responsibilities

The Department of Veterans Affairs and the Veterans Certifying Official at SLU closely monitor each student veteran's enrollment status and academic program. The student's educational benefit is based upon the number of credit hours applicable to his/her academic degree program.

Student veterans have the following responsibilities:

  • Notify the Certifying Official EVERY time that you want to be certified by completing the Veterans Benefits Registration Form.
  • Register only for courses required for your selected degree.
  • Do not register for courses you have already received a passing grade/credit in (even if taken at another institution).
  • Notify the Certifying Official if you: (a) change programs or major, (b) add or drop a class, (c) withdraw from classes, (d) change address, or (e) deplete your VA educational benefits.
  • Maintain satisfactory progress towards your degree.

Please note: Saint Louis University is required to provide the Veterans Administration with copies of grades and academic records to support certifications or to show failure to meet progress requirements without seeking prior approval of the individual veteran.

If you have any questions or wish to obtain the "Veterans Benefits Registration Form," please contact the Veterans' Certifying Official in the Office of the University Registrar:

Jennifer Matteson
Office of the University Registrar
Saint Louis University
DuBourg Hall 22
221 N. Grand Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63103
Phone: (314) 977-2259
Fax: (314) 977-3447


Eligibility and payment questions should be directed to the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office at:

VA Regional Office
PO Box 66830
St. Louis, MO 63166-6830
1-888-GI-BILL © (1-888-442-4551)