Student Advising Initiative Update: Report and Open Forums
A Quick Take
The student advising initiative is on schedule with the development of a draft plan to be even more supportive of our students, from major selection to job prep. Review recommendations and attend one of seven upcoming forums. Feedback is welcome from all. Read on for details.
In March, we launched an operational excellence initiative to improve the student advising experience. An initiative team was formed and charged with building upon the ongoing efforts of our Student Government Association to assess and enhance advising. After gathering input from the SLU community in the spring and reviewing leading-edge practices, the team spent the summer developing recommendations. Advisors, deans, vice presidents, and members of the Operation Excellence Program steering committee have provided input.
Now, the student advising initiative team wants to hear from you.
Recommendations for Review
This month there will be a series of community forums that are open to all students, faculty and staff. While a brief presentation will highlight key recommendations, participants are asked to review materials in advance. RSVPs are not required, but you are welcome to email the Operational Excellence Program in advance if you plan to attend. Below is the schedule.
- Friday Sept. 15: 2-3 p.m., Tegeler Hall, Carlo Auditorium
- Friday, Sept. 15: 3-4 p.m., Tegeler Hall, Carlo Auditorium
- Monday, Sept. 18: 11-a.m.-noon, Trudy Busch Valentine School of Nursing, Room 117
- Tuesday, Sept. 19: 9:30-10:30 a.m., Busch Student Center, Room 251B
- Tuesday, Sept. 19: 4-5 p.m., Busch Student Center, Room 256 (SGA Chambers)
- Monday, Sept. 25: 3-4 p.m., Allied Health Building, Room 1040
- Monday, Sept. 25: 5-6 p.m., DuBourg Hall, Room 102
Undergraduate Student Focus Groups
Focus group sessions with undergraduate students will be held throughout the day Friday, Sept. 29, in Room 102 of DuBourg Hall. If you are an undergraduate student and would like to participate, email the Operational Excellence Program team. (A reply to this email will work.) Student organizations can also reach out to schedule a meeting time for their group.
Online Feedback Forms
Two anonymous online forms have been created to capture your feedback. The following forms will remain open until Friday, Sept. 29.
The initiative team will review your feedback and consider revisions before submitting plans to the Provost and CFO in early October. Consistent with other initiatives, the Provost and CFO will make a recommendation to Dr. Pestello for final approval. After that, work will begin on an implementation plan, and some new members will be added to the team depending on the skills and expertise needed. Please let us know if you want to be involved.
Many focus areas described in last summer’s diagnostic report are budget neutral, with a focus on improving processes and reducing bureaucracy. Cost reduction is not an expected outcome. Student advising is one of these focus areas, and there is no goal to reduce staff or other costs associated with SLU’s advising services.
The careful and thoughtful work of the initiative team deserves our community’s gratitude. Through strong collaboration, the team has articulated an exciting future state for advising as we strive to become a national model for a student-centered network of support.
Student Advising Initiative Team
- Mark Higgins, Ph.D., Dean, Chaifetz School of Business (sponsor)
- Lisa Israel, Assistant Dean of Students and Director of the Student Success Center (sponsor)
- Debra Lohe, Ph.D., Director, Reinert Center for Transformative Teaching and Learning (manager)
- Margaret Bultas, Ph.D., R.N., Assistant Professor, Trudy Busch Valentine School of Nursing
- Jay Haugen, University Registrar
- Grant Mayfield, Vice President for Academic Affairs, Student Government Association (2016-2017)
- Lisa Michigan, M.A., Academic Advisor, Parks College
- Kim Reitter, Ed.D., Director, Career Services,
- Denise Sleet, Ph.D., Assistant Dean, College of Arts and Science
Program Coordination Team:
Eric Armbrecht, Ph.D., Associate Professor | firstname.lastname@example.org
Libby Gallogly, Project Manager | email@example.com
Doug Williams, J.D., Professor | firstname.lastname@example.org
Communications: Clayton Berry | email@example.com
Finance: Brianne Burcke | firstname.lastname@example.org
Growth: Justin Daffron, S.J. | email@example.com