Jean Potvin, Ph.D.
Ph.D. in Physics, University of Colorado-Boulder
M.Sc. Physics, Universite Laval, Quebec City, Canada
- Basic physics: Nature of the force of drag during decelerating and accelerating motions.
- Fluid mechanics: Interaction between fluids and limp structures such as fabric materials.
- Physical zoology: hydrodynamics and physics of whale lunge feeding
- Physical zoology: CFD modeling of the hydrodynamics toothed and baleen whales (non-feeding motion)
- Aerodynamics: Inflation and flight of parachutes.
- Engineering: Design and testing new parachutes for cargo airdrop, government jumpers and sport skydivers.
- Test parachuting
Publications and Media Placements
Printed Archival Peer-Reviewed Journals
Shadwick, R.E., Goldbogen, J.A., Potvin, J., Pyenson, N.D., and Vogl, W. “Novel muscle and connective tissue design enables hyper-extensibility and controls engulfment volume in lunge-feeding whales”. Journal of Experimental Biology (2013) Vol. 216, pp. 2691- 2701; doi: 10.1242/jeb.081752.
McQuilling, M., and Potvin, J. “Effect of the Transient Nature of Flow on Annular Parachute Drag Prediction,” Journal of Aircraft, 49(2), 566-575, March-April 2012; doi: 10.2514/1.C031591
McQuilling, M., Potvin, J., and Riley, J. Simulating the Flows About Cargo Containers Used During Parachute Airdrop Operations. Journal of Aircraft, 48(4), pp. 1405-1411. July/ August 2011. DOI: 10.2514/1.C031299
Online Peer-Reviewed Journals
Potvin, J., Goldbogen, J.A., and Shadwick, R.E. “Metabolic Expenditures of Lunge Feeding Rorquals Across Scale: Implications for the Evolution of Filter Feeding and the Limits to Maximum Body Size”. PLoS ONE (2012) 7(9): e44854. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0044854. Online only and open access: 10.1371/journal.pone.0044854.
Peer-Reviewed Conference Papers
Potvin, J., Kavanaugh, J., and McQuilling, M. “A Second Look at Geometric Porosity as Revealed by Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD),” AIAA-2013-1320, presented at the 22nd AIAA Aerodynamic Decelerator Systems Technology Conference, Daytona Beach, FL, March 25-28, 2013.
Freed, N., McQuilling, M., and Potvin, J. “Investigation of Outer Ring Aerodynamics of an Annular Parachute,” AIAA-2013-1280, presented at the 22nd AIAA Aerodynamic Decelerator Systems Technology Conference, Daytona Beach, FL, March 25-28, 2013.
McQuilling, M., and Potvin, J. “Forebody Wake Effects on the Aerodynamics of an Annular Parachute,” AIAA-2012-3332, presented at the 30th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, New Orleans, LA, June 25-28, 2012.
Honors and Awards
Associate Fellow, American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics, January 2009
Professional Organizations and Associations
- FAA Senior Parachute Rigger (since 1998)
- USPA Parachute Jumpmaster and Instructor (S/L)
- 1994 - 2001 Test and sport parachutist with over 2600 jumps
- Co-founder, with Gary Peek, of the Parks College Parachute Research Group (www.pcprg.com)
- Course Director, H. G. Heinrich Parachute Systems Short Course, since 2001
- Member, AIAA Aerodynamic Decelerator Systems Technical Committee, since 1995; Chair (2013 - 2015)
- Member, American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), since 1995
- Member, Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology (SICB), since 2010