iServ@SLU to help transform our city as the city transforms our education.
Inspired by the Jesuit Universal Apostolic Preferences and SLU's Mission, the Center for Ignatian Service (CIS) and its Ignatian Service Minor (podcast about minor) coordinates resources to deliver a networked educational pathway to help end the cycle of poverty among under-resourced communities in St. Louis. The Center provides infrastructure and logistical support while the minor provides cross-discipline courses integral to sustaining the educational pathway. All onboarding and backgrounds checks as well as all transportation to/from service sites are provided by CIS.
Helping Coordinate Efforts Inside of SLU
- Create a community of volunteers who help run the programs within the schools we serve.
- Coordinate university resources to bring effective and equitable learning opportunities to students in St. Louis.
- Challenge students by expanding their studies beyond the traditional classroom with transformative service-learning curricula.
Helping Coordinate Community Efforts Outside of SLU
- Build a network of community organizations who together build the educational pathway.
- Offer academic and athletic programming as core components of the pathway.
- Host annual events like like the Clavius Jamboree and summer camps.
Pillars Upon Which the Center Operates