The Faculty Manual is a foundational document setting out, in many respects, the role of the faculty in University governance. It also specifies rights, powers, privileges, and responsibilities of faculty. Insofar as it does so, it is incorporated by reference in all contracts of employment between faculty and the University. All substantive modifications to University policies and benefits referenced in this Manual may occur only after prior consultation with the Faculty Senate (p.ii).
Current Faculty Manual (2020) -- Effective May 1, 2020
Previous Editions of The Faculty Manual
Process for Amendment of The Faculty Manual
The Joint Faculty Senate-Provost Committee on The Faculty Manual coordinates the revision process, including the proposal of revisions, of The Faculty Manual. All proposed amendments are reviewed by and voted upon by the Faculty Senate per the terms of The Faculty Manual.
A multi-step process with opportunities for public comment and review by senators and other faculty is used for amendments to The Faculty Manual. In November 2012, the Faculty Manual Revision Task Force outlined the process which has been in effect since that time. View the summary.
The Joint Faculty Senate-Provost Committee on The Faculty Manual
Faculty Senate Leadership
- Ruth Evans, Faculty Senate President
- Terry Tomazic, Faculty Senate President-Elect1
Faculty Representatives Appointed by the Faculty Senate Executive Committee2
- Julie Birkenmaier, professor, School of Social Work, College for Public Health and Social Justice (term ends May 2021)
- Amber Johnson, associate professor, College of Arts and Sciences (term ends May 2022)
- Miriam Joseph, assistant provost for Academic Policy and Educational Compliance [CHAIR]
- Michael Lewis, associate provost for Faculty Development -- Serving as Interim Provost in 2020-2021
- Jane McHowat, associate dean for Faculty Affairs and Professional Development (SOM)
- Danielle Uy, senior associate general counsel
1 Member will be either the Faculty Senate President-Elect or the currently serving
Faculty Senate Past President.
2 Faculty representatives serve two-year staggered terms, renewable once.