Noelle E. Fearn, Ph.D.
Director and Professor
School of Social Work
Associate Dean for Undergraduate Academic Affairs
Criminological Theory; Principles of Statistics and Data Analysis; Corrections; Ethics in the Administration of Justice; Violence, Crime, & Justice
- Ph.D., Criminology and Criminal Justice, University of Missouri-St. Louis, 2003
- M.A., Criminology and Criminal Justice, University of Missouri-St. Louis, 1999
- B.A., Criminal Justice and Sociology, Lindenwood University, 1997
Criminal Justice Outcomes; Race, Gender, Class and Criminal Justice; Prison Populations; Women in Prison
Publications and Media Placements
- Advocates Magazine August/September 2020 edition, COVID-19 interview
- Caravaca Sánchez, Francisco, Noelle E. Fearn, Kristina R. Vidovic*, and Michael G. Vaughn 2019 “Female Prisoners in Spain: Adverse Childhood Experiences, Negative Emotional States, and Social Support.” Health & Social Work 44(3): 157-166.
- Caravaca Sánchez, Francisco, Noelle E. Fearn, and Michael G. Vaughn 2019 “A Profile of Violent Offenders in Spanish Prisons.” Victims & Offenders: An International Journal of Evidence-based Research, Policy, and Practice 14(4) 462-479, DOI: 10.1080/15564886.2019.1608881.
- Caravaca Sánchez, Francisco, Noelle E. Fearn, and Michael G. Vaughn 2017 “Risk Factors Associated with Near-Lethal Suicide Attempts during Incarceration among Men in the Spanish Prison System.” International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology. DOI: 10.1177/0306624X16689833.
- Caravaca Sánchez, Francisco, Noelle E. Fearn, M. Falcón, and Michael G. Vaughn 2017 “Prevalence and Correlates of In-Prison Substance Use among Incarcerated Women in Spain.” Journal of Ethnicity in Substance Abuse. DOI: 10.1080/15332640.2016.1255579.
- Caravaca Sánchez, Francisco, Javier Navarro Zaragoza, Noelle E. Fearn, and Michael G. Vaughn 2017 “The Nexus of Trauma, Victimization, and Mental Health Disorders among Incarcerated Adults in Spain.” Psychiatric Quarterly 88(4): 733-746.
- Fearn, Noelle E., Michael G. Vaughn, Erik J. Nelson, Christopher P. Salas-Wright, Matt DeLisi, and Zhengmin Qian 2016 “Trends in Substance Use Disorder among Probationers and Parolees in the United States, 2002-2014.” Drug and Alcohol Dependence 167: 128-139.
- Franklin*, Travis W. and Noelle E. Fearn 2015 “Sentencing Asian Americans: The Influence of a Prevalent Stereotype.” Crime & Delinquency, 61(1): 96-120.
- McGuire, Dyan, Noelle E. Fearn, Norman White, Kenneth Mayo, and Megan Ondr* 2015 “The Impact of Victim Demographics on Case Outcomes in Delinquency Proceedings: An Empirical Test.” Juvenile and Family Court Journal, 66(2): 1-17.
Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Teaching Award in the Master of Arts in Criminology and Criminal Justice (MACCJ)/Master of Science in Criminology & Professional Practice (MSCPP) Programs 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019).
Professional Organizations and Associations
- Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences (ACJS)
- American Society of Criminology (ASC)
- National Association of Deans and Directors of Social Work (NADD)
- Midwest Criminal Justice Association (MCJA)
Community Work and Service
- Expert Interviewer Panelist, Selection of New Ferguson Police Chief, 2016
- Research and Evaluation Partner, St. Louis City Circuit Attorney’s Office, 2015-2019
- Research and Evaluation Partner, St. Louis County Drug/DWI Court, 2012, 2017
- Research and Evaluation Partner, St. Louis City Family Court, Juvenile Division, 2011-2019