Kenton Johnston, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Associate Professor; Health Management and Policy
College for Public Health and Social Justice
Analytical Methods; Health Insurance and Managed Care
- Ph.D., in health services research and health policy, Emory University
Health economics; health outcomes; health services research; health policy; Medicare.
Current Grant Funding:
NIH-NIMH R01MH125820 (2021-2025)
- Can the Medicare Quality Payment Program Incentivize Evidence-Based Treatment of Depression and Anxiety Disorders by Primary Care Providers?
- PI: Johnston, KJ
NIH-NIA R21AG065526 (2020-2022)
- The Effect of Patient Dementia on Outpatient Clinicians' Performance on Cost Outcomes Under Medicare Value-Based Payment.
- PI: Johnston, KJ
Publications and Media Placements
Recently Selected Publications
- Johnston KJ, Hammond G, Meyers DJ, Joynt Maddox KE. Association of race and ethnicity and Medicare program type with ambulatory care access and quality measures. JAMA. 2021;326(7):628-36. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2783067
- Johnston KJ, Wen H, Joynt Maddox KE, Pollack HA. Ambulatory care access and emergency department use for Medicare beneficiaries with and without disabilities. Health Affairs. 2021;40(6):910-19. https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/full/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.01891
- Johnston KJ, Meyers DJ, Hammond G, Joynt Maddox KE. Association of clinician minority patient caseload with performance in the 2019 Medicare Merit-based Incentive Payment System. JAMA. 2021;325(12):1221-23. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2777702
- Johnston KJ, Hockenberry JM, Joynt Maddox KE. Building a better clinician value-based payment program in Medicare. JAMA. 2021;325(2):129-30. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2774534
- Johnston KJ, Hockenberry J, Wadhera R, Joynt Maddox K. Clinicians with high socially-at-risk caseloads received reduced Merit-Based Incentive Payment System scores. Health Affairs. 2020;39(9):1504-12. https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00350
- Johnston KJ, Wiemken T, Hockenberry J, Figueroa J, Joynt Maddox K. Association of clinician health system affiliation with outpatient performance ratings in the Medicare Merit-Based Incentive Payment System. JAMA. 2020;324(10):984-92. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2770411%20
- Johnston KJ, Wen H, Joynt Maddox K. Relationship of a claims-based frailty index to annualized Medicare costs: a cohort study. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2020;172(8):533-40. https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/full/10.7326/M19-3261
Find Kenton Johnston on:
National Library of Medicine Bibliography
Honors and Awards
Best of AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting (2016, 2018, 2020)
John M. Eisenberg Article-of-the-Year Award in Health Services Research (2017)