Kenton Johnston, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Associate Professor; Health Management and Policy
College for Public Health and Social Justice
Analytical Methods; Health Insurance and Managed Care
- Ph.D., in health services research and health policy, Emory University
Health economics; health outcomes; health services research; health policy; Medicare.
Current Grant Funding:
NIH-NIA R21AG065526 (2020-2022)
The Effect of Patient Dementia on Outpatient Clinicians' Performance on Cost Outcomes Under Medicare Value-Based Payment.
PI: Johnston, KJ
Publications and Media Placements
- Johnston KJ, Wiemken T, Hockenberry J, Figueroa J, Joynt Maddox K. Association of clinician health system affiliation with outpatient performance ratings in the Medicare Merit-Based Incentive Payment System. JAMA. 2020;324(10):984-92. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2770411
- Johnston KJ, Hockenberry J, Wadhera R, Joynt Maddox K. Clinicians with high socially-at-risk caseloads received reduced Merit-Based Incentive Payment System scores. Health Affairs. 2020;39(9):1504-12. https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00350
- Johnston KJ, Wen H, Joynt Maddox K. Relationship of a claims-based frailty index to annualized Medicare costs: a cohort study. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2020;172(8):533-40. https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/full/10.7326/M19-3261
- Johnston KJ, Bynum J, Joynt Maddox K. The need to incorporate additional patient information into risk adjustment for Medicare beneficiaries. JAMA. 2020;323(10):925-26. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2760499
- Johnston KJ, Mittler J, Hockenberry J. Patient social risk factors and continuity of care for Medicare beneficiaries. Health Services Research. 2020;55(3):445-56. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/1475-6773.13272
Find Kenton Johnston on:
Honors and Awards
Best of AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting (2016, 2018, 2020)
John M. Eisenberg Article-of-the-Year Award in Health Services Research (2017)