Maya Tabet, Ph.D, M.S.
Adjunct Assistant Professor
Center of Excellence for Maternal and Child Health Education, Science and Practice
PUBH 5010 - Mission and Practice of Global Public Health
Ph.D., Public Health Studies, Epidemiology, SLU College of Public Health and Social
MS, Nutrition, American University of Beirut, Lebanon, 2008
BS, Nutrition and Dietetics, American University of Beirut, Lebanon, 2005
Effects of prepregnancy weight and gestational weight gain on maternal and fetal outcomes; modifiable risk factors for preterm birth and low birth weight; maternal depression; perinatal epidemiology; lifecourse model.
Publications and Media Placements
1. Tabet M, Banna S, Luong L, Kirby R, Chang JJ. Pregnancy outcomes after preeclampsia: The effects
of interpregnancy weight change [published online ahead of print, 2020 Jun 10]. American
Journal of Perinatology 2020;10.1055/s-0040-1713000. doi:10.1055/s-0040-1713000
2. Tabet M, Flick LH, Xian H, Chang JJ. Smallness at birth and neonatal death: Reexamining the current indicator using sibling data. American Journal of Perinatology 2019.
3. Tabet M, Flick LH, Xian H, Chang JJ. The difference in sibling birthweight and neonatal death: A population-based cohort study. American Journal of Perinatology 2018; doi:10.1055/s-0038-1669949.
4. Tabet M, Flick LH, Xian H, Chang JJ. Revisiting the low birthweight paradox using sibling data with implications for the classification of low birthweight. Journal of Public Health 2018;
5. Tabet M, Nelson EJ, Schootman M, Chien LC, Chang JJ. Geographic variability in gestational weight gain: A multilevel population-based study of women having term births in Florida (2005-2012). Annals of Epidemiology 2017;27(7):421-8.e2.
6. Tabet M, Harper LM, Flick LH, Chang JJ. Gestational weight gain in the first two pregnancies and perinatal outcomes in the second pregnancy. Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology 2017; doi: 10.1111/ppe.12364
7. Tabet M, Sanders EA, Schootman M, Chang JJ, Wolinsky FD, Malmstrom TK, Miller DK. Neighborhood conditions and psychosocial outcomes among middle-aged African Americans: A cross-sectional analysis. Journal of Primary Care & Community Health 2017;8(2):63-70.
8. Tabet M, Jakhar S, Williams CA, Rawat U, Hailegiorgis YD, Flick LH, Chang JJ. Racial/ethnic differences in correlates of spontaneous and medically-indicated late preterm births among adolescents. Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology 2017;30(1):63-70.
9. Chang JJ, Salas J, Tabet M, Kasper Z, Elder K, Staley H, Brownson RC. Changes in body mass index and the trajectory of depressive symptoms among rural men and women. Journal of Rural Health 2017;33(2):190-197.
10. Chang JJ, Tabet M, Elder K, Kiel DW, Flick LH. Racial/ethnic differences in the correlates of mental health services use among pregnant women with depressive symptoms. Maternal and Child Health Journal 2016;20(9):1911-1922.
11. Tabet M, Flick LH, Cook CA, Xian H, Chang JJ. Age at first birth and psychiatric disorders in low-income pregnant women. Journal of Women's Health (Larchmt) 2016;25(8):810-817.
12. Tabet M, Flick LH, Tuuli MG, Macones GA, Chang JJ. Prepregnancy body mass index in a first uncomplicated pregnancy and outcomes of a second pregnancy. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2015;213(4):548.e541-547.
13. Nasreddine L, Naja F, Tabet M, Habbal MZ, El-Aily A, Haikal C, Sidani S, Adra N, Hwalla N. Obesity is associated with insulin resistance and components of the metabolic syndrome in Lebanese adolescents. Annals of Human Biology 2012;39(2):122-128.
14. Mehio Sibai A, Nasreddine L, Mokdad AH, Adra N, Tabet M, Hwalla N. Nutrition transition and cardiovascular disease risk factors in Middle East and North Africa countries: Reviewing the evidence. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism 2010;57(3-4):193-203.
Honors and Awards
Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health, 2017
Outstanding Poster Presentation Award, CityMatCH Leadership and Maternal and Child Health Epidemiology Conference, 2014
Professional Organizations and Associations
Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health, Member
Society for Pediatric and Perinatal Epidemiologic Research, Member
American Public Health Association, Member
Lebanese Academy for Nutrition and Dietetics, Member