The Office of Public Health Practice at Saint Louis University College for Public Health and Social Justice provides support for community collaboration, internships, alumni development, practice-based research, and training.
Public health practice is defined as: “The strategic, organized, and interdisciplinary application of knowledge, skills, and competencies necessary to perform essential public health services and other activities to improve the population's health." Source: Demonstrating Excellence in Academic Public Health Practice. Association of Schools of Public Health (June 1999)
The following activities are presented to each department and reviewed/modified to meet the needs of public health programs, faculty and students.
SLU Office of Public Health Practice Activities
- Facilitate, promote and link public health faculty, staff and students to local, regional and national community partners for teaching, research and service opportunities
- Cultivate relationships with community partners
- Manage a public health advisory board (comprised of alumni and employers) that supports the public health academic programs (BSPH and MPH)
- Manage alumni relations for the MPH and BSPH
- Manage a public health advisory committee
- Survey alumni to determine their current work, beliefs about their preparation, and use of competencies in current job
- Assure the incorporation of advisory committee and alumni survey results to enhance curricula
- Identify new opportunities for MPH internships, practice-based teaching, and undergraduate service learning opportunities
- Support MPH internships by helping identify new sites and establish relationships
- Create opportunities, mentor, and reward participation by faculty members in practice-based teaching
- Promote community service activities among faculty and students
- Track community service activities among faculty and students
- Assess and track workforce activities
- Increase opportunities for providing innovative approaches to training for the public health workforce
- Work closely with faculty and centers that provide public health workforce training to enhance the presence of training in the CPHSJ
- Create opportunities, mentor, and reward participation by students and faculty members in practice-based service
- Offer summer institutes related to practice
- Practice-based research is the "systematic inquiry into the systems, methods, policies, and programmatic applications of public health practice."
- Promote practice-based research
- In collaboration with the Associate Dean for Research, track practice-based research
- Create opportunities, mentor, and reward participation by students and faculty members in practice-based research
- Support public health systems research
Contact the SLU Office of Public Health Practice
The Office of Public Health Practice was developed with input from the faculty, staff and students. For more information, contact the Director of Public Health Practice, Darcy Scharff, Ph.D. Visit us on Facebook.