March 30, 2016
Dear Students, Faculty and Staff,
At approximately 8:45 p.m. today, DPS and St Louis City Police were notified of an Off-Campus armed robbery of two SLU students in the 4200 block of West Pine (Between Sarah St. and Boyle Avenue). St Louis Police and SLU DPS officers responded to the area. SLPD Detectives are conducting the investigation. DPS has increased its patrols in the area around the campus near the vicinity of the incident. The students were not injured.
The suspects were described as two black males, in their mid-20s, short hair, having slender builds 5' 9 to 6"0 tall, approximately 160lbs. The suspects were wearing dark colored jackets and pants and were armed with handguns. The suspects were last seen in an older model, white, box-style van fleeing the area.
In light of this off-campus incident, we would like to remind you of some important safety tips:
• If you are the victim of a crime, call DPS at 314-977-3000 or 911 immediately.
• Always remain alert and aware of your surroundings.
• Avoid being distracted by use of your cell phone or other portable devices.
• Scan parking lots, sidewalks and streets for suspicious persons and activity.
• If you see a suspicious person or activity, call DPS at 314-977-3000 or 911 right away.
• If you are involved in an incident, try to make a mental note of the distinguishing characteristics and mannerisms of the suspects.
• Focus on the one closest to you if more than one suspect is involved.
• Try to note the direction of travel of the suspect(s) from the scene of the incident.
News of this off-campus incident was first reported through the DPS Twitter account. If you do not already, we encourage you to follow us at @SLUSafety. (twitter.com/SLUSafety)
Chief James Moran
AVP/Director of Public Safety
St. Louis University