Learn about upcoming events and recent news from Saint Louis University's Henry and Amelia Nasrallah Center for Neuroscience.
The Future of Neuroscience, for the Service of Humanity in Fall 2020 Grand Rounds Magazine
03/25- Thursday, March 18th, Dr. Allan Basbaum, Ph.D., FRS of the University of California San Francisco virtually presented this year's Henry & Amelia Nasrallah Center for Neuroscience Endowed Lecture, host at SLU School of Medicine. His lecture was titled, "What does the neuroscience crystal ball say about the future of pain management?"
03/22- In one of the biggest investments in research commercialization in Saint Louis University’s history, BioIntervene, a biopharmaceutical company founded in 2014 by Saint Louis University (SLU) pharmacologist Daniela Salvemini, Ph.D., has raised $30 million in series A funding from MPM Capital.
- Contributions of Scholarship and Service by the Henry and Amelia Nasrallah Center for Neuroscience to the COVID-19 Pandemic
12/15- In response to the urgent and rapidly evolving COVID-19 pandemic, members of the Henry and Amelia Nasrallah Center for Neuroscience at Saint Louis University have acted swiftly to engage in a range of COVID-19-related endeavors.
03/17- In light of the coronavirus pandemic, Tony Buchanan, Ph.D., associate professor of psychology, joined a conversation on "St. Louis on the Air" about coping strategies for stressful times.
03/04- "Health care providers should not have to face barriers to addiction treatment" By Liz Chiarello, Ph.D.
03/03- Yuna M. Ayala, Ph.D., assistant professor of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, has been awarded a 1.9 million grant from the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The study is to look at the role of oligomeric TDP-43 aggregate intermediates in ALS and frontotemporal dementia.
02/26- Researcher Daniela Salvemini, Ph.D., professor of pharmacology and physiology at Saint Louis University, has been named a Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors (NAI) for her contributions toward understanding and finding better treatments for pain. Fellows of the NAI are academic inventors who have made a significant difference in the quality of life in society.
- Daniela Salvemini, Ph.D. Awarded the 2020 Pharmacia-ASPET Award for Experimental Therapeutics from ASPET
02/01- ASPET is pleased to award Dr. Daniela Salvemini from Saint Louis University School of Medicine the 2020 Pharmacia-ASPET Award for Experimental Therapeutics. The Pharmacia-ASPET Award for Experimental Therapeutics recognizes and stimulates outstanding research in pharmacology and experimental therapeutics, basic laboratory or clinical research that has had, or potentially will have, a major impact on the pharmacological treatment of disease.
01/10- Long-time SLU School of Medicine faculty member Raymond C. Tait, Ph.D., will receive one of the Academy of Science-St. Louis’ most prestigious recognitions the Science Leadership Award – on Thursday, April 2.
11/15- Two Saint Louis University faculty members and their community partner are working to improve the health of rural Missourians as they participate in the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s Interdisciplinary Research Leaders Fellowship.
- The Henry and Amelia Nasrallah Center for Neuroscience was featured in SLU's Research Institute 2021 Annual Impact Report. On pages 210-211, it describes the Center has brought together researchers from all across the University, and it has provided students with valuable opportunities for hands-on research experience. It also states the Center as being diverse in focus, addressing chronic pain is a key strength, and brings together experts across fields using multidisciplinary approaches to examine a variety of neurological conditions.
- The 3rd Annual Henry and Amelia Nasrallah Center for Neuroscience Research Virtual
Symposium was held on Friday, November 19, 2021. The following individuals were the
winners for the poster research presentation competition. Congratulations all.
- Post-doctoral Fellow /Staff scientists: Geetika Aggarwal
- Graduate students: Monica Goodland
- Undergraduate students: Shalmali Mirajkar
- Meet A SLU Researcher: Koyal Garg, Ph.D.
Koyal Garg, Ph.D., is an associate professor of Biomedical Engineering and has a secondary appointment in the SOM-Pharmacology and Physiology at Saint Louis University. Garg’s research focuses on the enhancement of skeletal muscle regeneration and function following injury, disease, and aging. In her own words, Garg shares why she does what she does, her goals for her research and what it's like working at SLU.
- Members of The Henry and Amelia Nasrallah Center for Neuroscience publications featured in the special July/August 2021 issue of "Missouri Medicine."
- Elizabeth Chiarello, Ph.D., Department of Sociology & Anthropology wrote an opinon editorial for the USA Today on July 23, 2021.
- Elizabeth Chiarello, Ph.D., Department of Sociology & Anthropology was interviewed on July 26, 2021 with St. Louis Public Radio "St. Louis On the Air" about Missouri's $450 Million Opioid Settlement and quoted on 8/4/2021 in Filter about Missouri's Opioid settlement.
- Elizabeth Chiarello, Ph.D., Department of Sociology & Anthropology joins KMOX radio, The Voice of St. Louis, The Charlie Brennan Show with Amy Marxkors, on July 27, 2021, "SLU Professor Liz Chiarello joins the show to talk about the drug problem in St. Louis." Also she joined KTRS, The Talk of Saint Louis, "The McGraw Show" on July 28, 2021 titled " Liz Chiarello: Opioid Settlement distribution Not Clear."
- Dr. Carissa van den Berk Clark, Ph.D., LMSW has been promoted to "Associate" Professor of Family & Community Medicine. She is also Deputy Director of SLU AHEC, Outreach Director for ARCHNet, & co-chair of the SLUNasrallahAdvocacy & Outreach Committee.
- Grant Kolar, Ph.D. publishes blog with AWS titled, "Manage your Digital Microscopy Data using OMERO on AWS."
- Whitney Postman, Ph.D., interviewed by Shirley Washington on the "The Pulse of St. Louis" television show in July. Catch the interview titled, "SLU doctor researching cognitive decline in aging African Americans." which discusses her Cognitive Stimulation Therapy group for African American elders of North St. Louis.
Patents by Inventors - Drs. Salvemini, Samson, Yeung, & Yosten
Patent Title: Methods of treating pain using anti-GPR160 antibodies
Patent number: 10851378
Abstract: The disclosure provides methods and compositions for inhibiting pain by administering a GPR160 antagonist to a subject in need thereof. Also provided are methods of using GPR160 antagonists in combination with other pain therapies.
Date of Patent: December 1, 2020
Inventors: Daniela Salvemini, Gina L. C. Yosten, Willis K. Samson
Patent Title: Compositions and methods for diagnosing and treating endometriosis-related infertility
Patent number: 10877045
Abstract: Disclosed are methods of diagnosing and treating endometriosis, and in particular, endometriosis-associated infertility.
Date of Patent: December 29, 2020
Inventors: Patrick Yeung, Jr., Daniela Salvemini
Heather Macarthur, Ph.D. has been awarded the March 2021 CNR Research Award for her proposal titled, "ACE 2 inhibition as a mechanism behind SARS-CoV-2 cognitive impairment" from the Henry and Amelia Nasrallah Center for Neuroscience.
George Grossberg, M.D. was quoted in AARP about lies patients tell their doctors.
- Brenda Kirchoff, Ph.D., SLU Research Institute has announced her team as one of the five winners of the latest "Big Ideas Competition".
- Kathryn Braden, a Ph.D. candidate in the Salvemini lab and Associate Member of the Henry and Amelia Nasrallah Center for Neuroscience, has been awarded financial aid to attend the International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP) World Congress in Amsterdam in August of 2020. Braden will receive complimentarily registration and a stipend for travel to present a poster at the conference.
- Whitney Postman, Ph.D., and Yan Gai, Ph.D., have received a $75,000 award from SLU's
Research Growth Fund (Second Cycle). Their funded project is entitled "Real-Time Ultrasound
Intra-Oral Visual Feedback For Adult Acquired Or Degenerative Motor-Speech Disorders."
This fund will provide Dr. Postman and Dr. Gai with $75,000 dollars over two years
to conduct their research. Dr. Postman's Neuro-Rehabilitation of Language Lab has
already purchased a research-grade ultrasound system thanks to a donation from a grateful
Learn More About This Proposal and the Research Growth Fund
- Whitney Postman, Ph.D., (Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders) was named a Memory Care Home Solutions' 2019 Mission Champion at its eighth annual "Swing Into Spring" event May 2. Memory Care Home Solutions is serves as a source for the recruitment of participants in SLU-based research on cognitive decline or in the enlistment of expert consultants who are on the front lines of providing first-rate care to people living with dementia. The award was given in recognition of the partnership between Memory Care Home Solutions and Dr. Postman as a representative of Saint Louis University's Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Program to serve local residents living with dementia and, in particular, low-income African American elders through the "Senior Social Group For Brain Health As We Age" in the Ville neighborhood of north St. Louis.
- A paper from the lab of Andrew Butler, Ph.D., (Department of Pharmacology and Physiology Sciences) entitled "Low plasma adropin concentrations increase risks of weight gain and metabolic dysregulation in response to a high-sugar diet in male nonhuman primates" was selected as "Editor's Pick" by the Journal of Biological Chemistry. About 50 to 100 papers are selected from the more than 6,600 published each year. The paper will be published online in the Journal of Biological Chemistry.
- Singh AK, Mahalingam R, Squillace S, Jacobson KA, Tosh DK, Dharmaraj S, Farr SA, Kavelaars A, Salvemini D, Heijnen CJ: Targeting the A3 adenosine receptor to prevent and reverse chemotherapy-induced neurotoxicities in mice. Acta Neuropathologica Communications 2022, 10:11.
- Chelsea DeLeon, Kyle Pemberton, Michael Green, Vanja Kalajdzic, Martina Rosato, Fenglian Xu, and Christopher Arnatt, Novel GPER Agonist, CITFA, Increases Neurite Growth in Rat Embryonic (E18) Hippocampal Neurons, ACS Chemical Neuroscience Article ASAP, DOI: 10.1021/acschemneuro.1c00811
- Stealey, Samuel, Mariam Khachani, and Silviya P. Zustiak. 2022. "Adsorption and Sustained Delivery of Small Molecules from Nanosilicate Hydrogel Composites" Pharmaceuticals 15, no. 1: 56. https://doi.org/10.3390/ph15010056
- Mukherjee S, Chakraborty M, Ulmasov B, McCommis K, Zhang J, Carpenter D, Msengi EN, Haubner J, Guo C, Pike DP, Ghoshal S, Ford DA, Neuschwander-Tetri BA, Chakraborty A. Pleiotropic actions of IP6K1 mediate hepatic metabolic dysfunction to promote nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and steatohepatitis. Mol Metab. 2021 Dec;54:101364.
- Sheth, Stealey, Morgan, Zustiak, Microfluidic Chip Device for In Situ Mixing and Fabrication of Hydrogel Microspheres via Michael-Type Addition; Langmuir 2021 37 (40), 11793-11803 DOI: 10.1021/acs.langmuir.1c01739
- Eric Marin, Shizuka Tomatsu, Rita Khoury, George T. Grossberg, Sleep disorders in older adults, Current Psychiatry. 2021 March;20(3):30-38 | doi:10.12788/cp.0098
- Khoury R, Marx C, Mirgati S, Velury D, Chakkamparambil B, Grossberg GT, AVP-786 as a promising treatment option for Alzheimer's Disease including agitation Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2021 May;22(7):783-795. doi: 10.1080/14656566.2021.1882995. Epub 2021 Feb 26. PMID: 33615952
- Chinnaswamy K, DeMarco DM, Grossberg GT, Doll therapy in dementia: Facts and controversies, Ann Clin Psychiatry. 2021 Feb;33(1):58-66. doi: 10.12788/acp.0010. PMID: 33125455
- Nguyen K, Hoffman H, Chakkamparambil B, Grossberg GT, Evaluation of rivastigmine in Alzheimer's disease, Neurodegener Dis Manag. 2021 Feb;11(1):35-48. doi: 10.2217/nmt-2020-0052. Epub 2020 Nov 17. PMID: 33198569
- Martina Rosato, Brittany Hoelscher, Zhenguo Lin, Chidera Agwu, Fenglian Xu (2021) Transcriptome analysis provides genome annotation and expression profiles in the central nervous system of Lymnaea stagnalis at different ages. BMC Genomics 22 (1): 637. 637. DOI: 10.1186/s12864-021-07946-y
- Yosten, G.L.C., G.R. Kolar, D. Salvemini, and W.K. Samson. 2021. The Deductive Reasoning Strategy Enables Biomedical Breakthroughs. Mo Med 118:352.
- Squillace, S., and Salvemini, D., 2021. Nitroxidative stress in pain and opioid-induced adverse effects: therapeutic opportunities. Pain (In press)
- Salvemini, D. 2021. Center for Neurosciences Responsive to Jesuit Catholic Mission of Saint Louis University. Mo Med 118:325.
- Doyle, T.M., and D. Salvemini. 2021. Mini-Review: Mitochondrial dysfunction and chemotherapy-induced neuropathic pain. Neurosci Lett 760:136087.
- Doyle, T.M., K. Braden, C.M. Harada, F. Mufti, R.M. Schafer, and D. Salvemini. 2021. Novel Non-Opioid Based Therapeutics for Chronic Neuropathic Pain. Mo Med 118:327.
- Coppi, E., F. Cherchi, E. Lucarini, C. Ghelardini, F. Pedata, K.A. Jacobson, L. Di Cesare Mannelli, A.M. Pugliese, and D. Salvemini. 2021. Uncovering the Mechanisms of Adenosine Receptor-Mediated Pain Control: Focus on the A(3) Receptor Subtype. Int J Mol Sci 22:7952
- Samson, W.K., D. Salvemini, and G.L.C. Yosten. 2021. Overcoming Stress, Hunger, and Pain: Cocaine- and Amphetamine-Regulated Transcript Peptide's Promise. Endocrinology 162:bqab108
- Polinski NK, Martinez TN, Gorodinsky A, Gareus R, Sasner M, Herberth, M., Switzer, R., Ahmad, Syed O., Cosden, M., Kandebo, M., Drolet, R., Buckett, P., Shan, W., et al (2021) Decreased glucocerebrosidase activity and substrate accumulation of glycosphingolipids in a novel GBA1 D409V knock-in mouse model. PLOS ONE 16(6): e0252325. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0252325
- Banerjee, S., Ghoshal, S., Girardet, C., DeMars K.,Yang C., Niehoff, M., Nguyen A., Jayanth, P., Hoelscher, A., Xu, F., Banks, W., Hansen, K., Zhang, J., Candelario-Jalil E., Farr, S., Butler, A. , Adropin correlates with aging-related neuropathology in humans and improves cognitive function in aging mice. npj Aging Mech Dis 7, 23 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41514-021-00076-5
- Chiarello, E. “Pharmacists Should Treat Patients Who Have Opioid Use Disorders, Not Police Them.” Journal of the American Pharmacists Association. 2021
- Fillit H, Aigbogun MS, Gagnon-Sanschagrin P, Cloutier M, Davidson M, Serra E, Guérin A, Baker RA, Houle CR, Grossberg GT, Impact of Agitation in Long-Term Care Residents with Dementia in the United States.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2021 Jul 19. doi: 10.1002/gps.5604. Online ahead of print.PMID: 34286877Lintel H, Corpuz T, Paracha SU, Grossberg GT. , Mood Disorders and Anxiety in Parkinson's Disease: Current Concepts, J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 2021 Jul;34(4):280-288. doi: 10.1177/08919887211018267.PMID: 34219518
- Grossberg G, Chand PR.; Guest Editors' Introduction From Dr. Grossberg and Dr. Chand, J. Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 2021 Jul;34(4):252. doi: 10.1177/08919887211018272.PMID: 34219523
- Vogt K, Aryan L, Stealey S, Hall A, Pereira K, Zustiak SP. Microfluidic fabrication of imageable and resorbable polyethylene glycol microspheres for catheter embolization. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2021 Jul 21. doi: 10.1002/jbm.a.37271. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34289220.
- Raffin J, de Souto Barreto P, Aggarwal G, Nguyen AD, Morley JE, Li Y, Bateman RJ, Rolland Y, Vellas B, for the MAPT/DSA Group. (2021) Associations between physical activity, blood-based biomarkers of neurodegeneration, and cognition in healthy older adults: The MAPT study. The Journals of Gerontology, Series A: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences. 76(8):1382-1390. doi: 10.1093/gerona/glab094. PMID: 33864068
- He L, Morley JE, Aggarwal G, Nguyen AD, Vellas B, de Souto Barreto P for the MAPT/DSA Group. (2021) Plasma neurofilament light chain is associated with cognitive decline in non-dementia older adults. Scientific Reports. 11(1), 13394. doi: 10.1038/s41598-021-91038-0. PMID: 34183688
- Subhashis Banerjee, Sarbani Ghoshal, Clemence Girardet, Kelly M. DeMars, Changjun Yang, Michael L. Niehoff, Andrew D. Nguyen, Prerana Jayanth, Brittany A. Mersman, Fenglian Xu, William A. Banks, Eduardo Candelario-Jalil, Jinsong Zhang, Susan A. Farr and Butler AA. Adropin correlates with age-related neuropathologies in the human brain and improves neuroinflammation and cognitive function in aging mice. NPJ Aging & Mechanisms of Disease (accepted) (10.21203/rs.3.rs-99159/v2)
- Butler AA and Havel PJ (2021). Adropin and Insulin Resistance: Integration of Endocrine, Circadian and Stress Signals Regulating Glucose Metabolism (Invited Perspective). Obesity (in press).
- Segal GS, Xie SJ, Paracha SU, Grossberg GT., Psychosis in Parkinson's Disease: Current Treatment Options and Impact on Patients and Caregivers, J. Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 2021 Jul;34(4):274-279. doi: 10.1177/08919887211018280.PMID: 34219522
- Lintel H, Corpuz T, Paracha SU, Grossberg GT. , Mood Disorders and Anxiety in Parkinson's Disease: Current Concepts, J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 2021 Jul;34(4):280-288. doi: 10.1177/08919887211018267.PMID: 34219518
- Fillit H, Aigbogun MS, Gagnon-Sanschagrin P, Cloutier M, Davidson M, Serra E, Guérin A, Baker RA, Houle CR, Grossberg G, Impact of Agitation in Long-Term Care Residents with Dementia in the United States.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2021 Jul 19. doi: 10.1002/gps.5604. Online ahead of print.PMID: 34286877
- Grossberg GT., Chand PR.; Guest Editors' Introduction From Dr. Grossberg and Dr. Chand, J. Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 2021 Jul;34(4):252. doi: 10.1177/08919887211018272.PMID: 34219523
- Khoury R, Liu Y, Sheheryar Q, Grossberg GT., Pharmacotherapy for Frontotemporal Dementia, CNS Drugs. 2021 Apr;35(4):425-438. doi: 10.1007/s40263-021-00813-0. Epub 2021 Apr 11.PMID: 33840052
- Das, S., Postman, W.A., Haboubi, M., Akca, O., Remmel, K., Carter, A., & Zazulia, A. (2021, published online June 27). A Case of Aphemia Following Non-dominant Sub-insular Stroke: Unveiling the Foix-Chavany-Marie Phenomenon. Neurocase, DOI: 10.1080/13554794.2021.1933541
- Tsegay KB, Adeyemi CM, Gniffke EP, Sather DN, Walker JK, Smith SEP. "A repurposed drug screen identifies compounds that inhibit the binding of the COVID-19 spike protein to ACE2." bioRxiv [Preprint]. 2021 Apr 8:2021.04.08.439071. doi: 10.1101/2021.04.08.439071. PMID: 33851160; PMCID: PMC8043450."
- Postman, W.A., Rosenthal, S., Thompson, S., Sankey, L., Leisure, K., Ferron, R., Slay, T. & Fischer, M. (2021). "Forging Community Partnerships to Reduce Health Disparities in Low-Income African American Elders of North St. Louis at Risk for Dementia". Journal of the National Black Association for Speech-Language and Hearing, 16(1): 57-67.
- L. Hill, J. Bruns, *S. P. Zustiak, “Hydrogel matrix presence and composition influences drug responses of encapsulated glioblastoma spheroids”, in press, 2021, Acta Biomaterialia (IF: 7.242); doi.org/10.1016/j.actbio.2021.05.005 INVITED for Special Issue on “Biomaterials for Personalized Disease Models”
- S. Stealey, A. Gaharwar, N. Pozzi, *S. P. Zustiak, “Development of Nanosilicate-Hydrogel Composites for Sustained Delivery of Charged Biopharmaceutics”, in press, 2021, ACS Materials & Interfaces (IF: 8.758)
- Bordt AS, Patterson SS, Girresch RJ, Perez D, Tseng L, Anderson JR, Mazzaferri MA, Kuchenbecker JA, Gonzales-Rojas R, Roland A, Tang C, Puller C, Chuang AZ, Ogilvie JM, Neitz J, Marshak DW. Synaptic inputs to broad thorny ganglion cells in macaque retina. J Comp Neurol. 2021 Apr 12. doi: 10.1002/cne.25156. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33843050.
- Farr SA, Cuzzocrea S, Esposito E, Campolo M, Niehoff ML, Doyle TM, Salvemini D, Adenosine A3 receptor as a novel therapeutic target to reduce secondary events and improve neurocognitive functions following traumatic brain injury. J Neuroinflammation. 2020 Nov 12;17(1):339.
- Tewari, M., Khan, M., Verma, M., Mercier, P., Coppens, J., Kemp, J.M., Bucholz, R. & Egan, T.M. (2021) Physiology of cultured human microglia maintained in a defined culture medium. ImmunoHorizons 5:257-272. PMID: 33931497DOI:10.4049/immunohorizons.2000101.
- Liang*, X., Janks*, L. & Egan, T.M. (2021, in press) Using Voltage Clamp Electrophysiology and Patch Clamp Photometry to Characterize P2X7 receptor currents. Methods in Molecular Biology. (*joint first authors).
- Musicant AM, Parag-Sharma K, Gong W, Sengupta M, Chatterjee A, Henry EC, Tsai Y, Hayward MC, Sheth S, Betancourt R, Hackman TG, Padilla RJ, Parker JS, Giudice J, Flaveny CA, Hayes DN, Amelio AL, CRTC1-MAML2 Establishes a PGC1α-IGF1 Circuit that Confers Vulnerability to PPARγ Inhibition, Cell Reports, Vol. 34, Issue 8, 108768, Feb 23, 2021, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.celrep.2021.108768
- Durante M, Squillace S, Lauro F, Giancotti LA, Coppi E, Cherchi F, Di Cesare Mannelli L, Ghelardini C, Kolar G, Wahlman C, Opejin A, Xiao C, Reitman ML, Tosh DK, Hawiger D, Jacobson KA, Salvemini D. Adenosine A3 agonists reverse neuropathic pain via T cell-mediated production of IL-10. Journal of Clin. Invest. 2021 Feb 23:139299. doi: 10.1172/JCI139299. Online ahead of print. PMID: 33621215
- Nasrallah, Henry A., Enduring the ordeal of a quadruple threat is especially arduous for psychiatric patients. Current Psychiatry. 2020 August; 19(8) 14-16, 37.
- Nasrallah, Henry A., COVID-19 and the precipitous dismantlement of societal norms. Current Psychiatry. 2020 July; 19(7) 12-14, 16-17.
- Nasrallah, Henry A., The cataclysmic COVID-19 pandemic: THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!. Current Psychiatry. 2020 May; 19(5) 7-8,16.
- Jung YH, Yu J, Wen Z, Salmaso V, Karcz TP, Phung NB, Chen Z, Duca S, Bennett JM, Dudas S, Salvemini D, Gao ZG, Cook DN, Jacobson KA. Exploration of Alternative Scaffolds for P2Y14 Receptor Antagonists Containing a Biaryl Core. J Med Chem. 2020. 10;63(17):9563-9589.
- Doyle TM, Hutchinson MR, Braden K, Janes K, Staikopoulos V, Chen Z, Neumann WL, Spiegel S, Salvemini D., Sphingosine-1-phosphate receptor subtype 1 activation in the central nervous system contributes to morphine withdrawal in rodents. J Neuroinflammation. 2020 Oct 22;17(1):314.
- R.R. Suresh, S. Jain, Z. Chen, D.K. Tosh, Y. Ma, M.C. Podszun, Y. Rotman, D. Salvemini, K.A. Jacobson, Design and in vivo activity of A3 adenosine receptor agonist prodrugs, Purinergic Signal, 16 (2020) 367-377. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32720036/
- S. Squillace, S. Spiegel, D. Salvemini, Targeting the Sphingosine-1-Phosphate Axis for Developing Non-narcotic Pain Therapeutics, Trends in Pharmacological Science, 2020 Oct. 1. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tips.2020.09.006
F. Mufti, Y.H. Jung, L.A. Giancotti, J. Yu, Z. Chen, N.B. Phung, K.A. Jacobson, D. Salvemini, P2Y(14) Receptor Antagonists Reverse Chronic Neuropathic Pain in a Mouse Model, ACS medicinal chemistry letters, 11 (2020) 1281-1286. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsmedchemlett.0c00115
E. Lucarini, E. Coppi, L. Micheli, C. Parisio, A. Vona, F. Cherchi, A.M. Pugliese, F. Pedata, P. Failli, S. Palomino, J. Wahl, T.M. Largent-Milnes, T.W. Vanderah, D.K. Tosh, K.A. Jacobson, D. Salvemini, C. Ghelardini, L. Di Cesare Mannelli, Acute visceral pain relief mediated by A3AR agonists in rats: involvement of N-type voltage-gated calcium channels, Pain, (2020) DOI 10.1097/j.pain.0000000000001905(2020). https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32379223/
K.A. Jacobson, L.A. Giancotti, F. Lauro, F. Mufti, D. Salvemini, Treatment of chronic neuropathic pain: purine receptor modulation, Pain, 161 (2020) 1425-1441. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32187120/
T.M. Doyle, T.M. Largent-Milnes, Z. Chen, V. Staikopoulos, E. Esposito, R. Dalgarno, C. Fan, D.K. Tosh, S. Cuzzocrea, K.A. Jacobson, T. Trang, M.R. Hutchinson, G.J. Bennett, T.W. Vanderah, D. Salvemini, Chronic Morphine-Induced Changes in Signaling at the A(3) Adenosine Receptor Contribute to Morphine-Induced Hyperalgesia, Tolerance, and Withdrawal, J Pharmacol Exp Ther, 374 (2020) 331-341. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32434943/
K. Braden, L.A. Giancotti, Z. Chen, C. DeLeon, N. Latzo, T. Boehm, N. D'Cunha, B.M. Thompson, T.M. Doyle, J.G. McDonald, J.K. Walker, G.R. Kolar, C.K. Arnatt, D. Salvemini, GPR183-oxysterol axis in spinal cord contributes to neuropathic pain, J Pharmacol Exp Ther, (2020) DOI 10.1124/jpet.120.000105(2020). https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32913007/
- Arnatt, C. Estrogen receptor antagonist shows promise for treatment of gallstone disease. ASBMB Today. 2020 July 21. https://www.asbmb.org/asbmb-today/science/072120/estrogen-receptor-antagonist-shows-promise-for-tre
- Zhang, J, The transcriptional corepressor CBFA2T3 inhibits all-trans-retinoic acid–induced myeloid gene expression and differentiation in acute myeloid leukemia, has been selected as an Editors' Pick in the most recent issue of Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2020 May 17 ; 295(27) 8887–8900 https://www.jbc.org/content/295/27/8887.full.pdf?with-ds=yes
- Banerjee S, Farr S, Zhang J, Butler A, Hepatocyte expression of the micropeptide adropin regulates the liver fasting response and is enhanced by caloric restriction. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2020 July 29
- Nasrallah, Henry A., During a viral pandemic, anxiety is endemic: The psychiatric aspect of COVID-19. Current Psychiatry. 2020 April; 19(4): e3-e5.
- Chen Z, Doyle TM,Luongo L, Largent-Milnes TM, Giancotti LA, Kolar G, Squillace S, Boccella S, Walker JK, Pendleton A, Spiegel S, Neumann WL, Vanderah TW and Salvemini D., Sphingosine-1-phosphate receptor 1 activation in astrocytes contributes to neuropathic pain. PNAS. May 21;116(21):10557-10562.
- Butler AA, Graham JL, Stanhope KL, Wong S, King S, Bremer AA, Krauss RM, Hamilton J, & Havel PJ (2020). Role of angiopoietin-like protein 3 in sugar-induced dyslipidemia in rhesus macaques: suppression by fish oil or RNAi. J Lipid Res.
- Gaynor M, Schneider D, Seltzer M, Crannage E, Barron ML, Waterman J, & Oberle A (2020). A user-centered, learning asthma smartphone application for patients and providers. Learning Health Systems.
- Gordon-Fennell AG, Will RG, Ramachandra V, Gordon-Fennell L, Dominguez JM, Zahm DS, & Marinelli M (2020). The lateral preoptic area: A novel regulator of reward seeking and neuronal activity in the ventral tegmental area. Front Neurosci.
- Green AT, Moniruzzaman M, Cooper CJ, Walker JK, Smith JC, Parks JM, & Zgurskaya HI (2020). Discovery of multidrug efflux pump inhibitors with a novel chemical scaffold. Biochim Biophys Acta Gen Subj.
- Guo C, Li J, Steinauer N, Wong M, Wu B, Dickson A, Kalkum M, & Zhang J (2020). Histone deacetylase 3 preferentially binds and collaborates with transcription factor RUNX1 to repress AML1-ETO-dependent transcription in t(8;21) AML. Journal of Biological Chemistry.
- Haake A, Nguyen K, Friedman L, Chakkamparambil B, & Grossberg GT (2020). An update on the utility and safety of cholinesterase inhibitors for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. Expert Opin Drug Saf.
- Mersman B, Jolly S, Lin Z, & Xu, F (2020). Gap junction coding innexin in Lymnaea stagnalis: Sequence analysis and characterization in tissues and the central nervous system. Frontiers in Synaptic Neuroscience.
- Pan Y, Kafaie J, et al. (2020). Longitudinal 16-year study of dominant intermediate CMT type C neuropathy. Muscle Nerve.
- Patterson SS, Bordt AS, Girresch RJ, Linehan CM, Bauss J, Yeo E, Perez D, Tseng L, Navuluri S, Harris NB, Matthews C, Anderson JR, Kuchenbecker JA, Manookin MB, Ogilvie JM, Neitz J, & Marshak DW (2020). Wide-field amacrine cell inputs to ON parasol ganglion cells in macaque retina. Journal of Comparative Neurology.
- Steinauer N, Chun Guo C, & Zhang J (2020). The transcriptional corepressor CBFA2T3 is a general inhibitor of all-trans retinoic acid-induced myeloid gene expression and differentiation in AML. Journal of Biological Chemistry.
- Sverdrup F (2020). P38 inhibition to treat FSHD: Turning off DUX4. CheckRare, Rare and Genetic Disease Network. CheckRare.
- Yosten GL, Harada CM, Haddock CJ, Giancotti LA, Kolar GR, Patel R, Guo C, Chen Z, Zhang J, Doyle TM, Dickenson AH, Samson WK, & Salvemini D (2020). GPR160 de-orphanization reveals critical roles in neuropathic pain in rodents. J Clin Invest.
- Coppi E, Cherchi F, Fusco I, Failli P, Vona A, Dettori I, Gaviano L, Lucarini E, Jacobson KA, Tosh DK, Salvemini D., Ghelardini C, Pedata F, Di Cesare Mannelli L, Pugliese AM. Adenosine A3 receptor activation inhibits pronociceptive N-type Ca2+ currents and cell excitability in dorsal root ganglion neurons. Pain. 2019 May;160(5):1103-1118.
- Doyle TM, Chen Z, Durante M, Salvemini D. (2019). Activation of Sphingosine-1-Phosphate Receptor 1 in the Spinal Cord Produces
Mechanohypersensitivity Through the Activation of Inflammasome and IL-1β Pathway. J
Pain. 2019 Feb 23. pii: S1526-5900(18)30585-6.
- Dorsey SG, Kleckner IR, Barton D, Mustian K, O'Mara A, St Germain D, Cavaletti G, Danhauer SC, Hershman D, Hohmann AG, Hoke A, Hopkins JO, Kelly KP, Loprinzi CL, McLeod HL, Mohile S, Paice J, Rowland JH, Salvemini D, Segal RA, Lavoie Smith E, McCaskill Stevens W, Janelsins MC. (2019). NCI Clinical Trials Planning Meeting for prevention and treatment of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2019. Jan 31. doi: 10.1093/jnci/djz011. [Epub ahead of print]
- Stockstill K, Doyle TM, Yan X, Chen Z, Janes K, Little JW, Braden K, Lauro F, Giancotti LA, Harada CM, Yadav R, Xiao WH, Lionberger JM, Neumann WL, Bennett GJ, Weng HR, Spiegel S, Salvemini D. Dysregulation of sphingolipid metabolism contributes to bortezomib-induced neuropathic pain. J Exp Med. 2018 May 7;215:1301-1313.
- Abu Irqeba A, & Ogilvie JM (2019). Novel binding partners for Prenylated Rab Acceptor 1 identified by a split-ubiquitin yeast two-hybrid screen. BMC Research Notes.
- Buchanan TW, McMullin S, Baxley C, & Weinstock J (2019). Stress and gambling (invited review). Current Opinion in Behavioral Science.
- Buchanan TW, McMullin S, Mulhauser K, Weinstock J, & Weller JA (2019). Diurnal cortisol and decision making under risk in problem gambling. Psychology of Addictive Behavior.
- Butler AA, Price CA, Graham JL, Stanhope KL, King S, Hung YH, Sethupathy P, Wong S, Hamilton J, Krauss RM, Bremer AA, & Havel PJ (2019). Fructose-induced hypertriglyceridemia in rhesus macaques is attenuated with fish oil or ApoC3 RNA interference. J Lipid Res.
- Butler AA, Zhang J, Price CA, Stevens JR, Graham JL, Stanhope KL, King S, Krauss RM, Bremer AA, & Havel PJ (2019). Low plasma adropin concentrations increase risks of weight gain and metabolic dysregulation in response to a high-sugar diet in male nonhuman primates. J Biol Chem.
- Carpenter KJ, Valfort AC, Steinauer N, Chatterjee A, Abuirqeba S, Majidi S, Sengupta M, Di Paolo RJ, Shornick LP, Zhang J, & Flaveny CA (2019). LXR-inverse agonism stimulates immune-mediated tumor destruction by enhancing CD8 T-cell activity in triple negative breast cancer. Sci Rep.
- Chen Z, Doyle TM, Luongo L, Largent-Miles TM, Giancotti LA, Kolar G, Squillace S, Boccella S, Walker JK, Pendleton A, Spiegel S, Neumann WL, Vanderah TW, & Salvemini D (2019). Sphingosine-1-phosphate receptor 1 activation in astrocytes contributes to neuropathic pain. PNAS.
- Chiarello E (2019). Law, Morality, and Health Care Professionals: A Multilevel Framework. Annual Review of Law and Social Sciences.
- Deardorff WJ & Grossberg GT (2019). Behavioral and psychological symptoms in Alzheimer’s dementia and vascular dementia. Handbook of clinical neurology.
- Farr SA, Roesler E, Niehoff ML, Roby DA, & Morley JE (2019). Metformin Improves Learning and Memory in the SAMP8 Mouse Model of Alzheimer’s Disease. J Alzheimers Dis.
- Frolov A, Lawson C, Olatunde J, Goodrich JT, & Martin JR (2019). Sagittal Craniosynostosis with Uncommon Anatomical Pathologies in a 56-Year-Old Male Cadaver," Case Reports in Pathology.
- Gao S, Ghoshal S, Zhang L, Stevens JR, McCommis KS, Finck BN, Lopaschuk GD, & Butler AA (2019). The peptide hormone adropin regulates signal transduction pathways controlling hepatic glucose metabolism in a mouse model of diet-induced obesity. J Biol Chem.
- Griffin P, Dimitry JM, Sheehan PW, Lananna BV, Guo C, Robinette ML, Hayes ME, Cedeño MR, Nadarajah CJ, Ezerskiy LA, Colonna M, Zhang J, Bauer AQ, Burris TP, & Musiek ES (2019). Circadian clock protein Rev-erbα regulates neuroinflammation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA.
- Grossberg GT, Kohegyi E, Mergel V, Josiassen MK, Meulien D, Hobart M, Slomkowski M, Baker RA, McQuade RD, & Cummings JL (2019). Efficacy and Safety of Brexpiprazole for the Treatment of Agitation in Alzheimer's Dementia: Two 12-Week, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trials. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry.
- Grossberg GT, Tong G, Burke AD, & Tariot PN (2019). Present Algorithms and future Treatments for Alzheimer’s disease. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Hashweh NN, Bartochowski Z, Khoury R, & Grossberg GT (2019) . An evaluation of hydromethylthionine as a treatment option for Alzheimer’s disease. Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy.
- Imaninezhad M, Hill L, Kolar G, Vogt K, & Zustiak SP (2019). Templated hydrogels for spheroid and aggregate cell culture. Bioconjugate Chemistry.
- Jain E, Blanco A, Chinzei N, Sandell LJ, Case N, Sell SA, Rai MF, & Zustiak SP (2019). Sustained-released platelet-rich plasma from polyethylene glycol hydrogels exerts beneficial effects on chondrocytes. Journal of Orthopaedic Research.
- Jain E, Flanagan M, Sheth S, Patel S, Gan Q, Patel B, Montano A, & Zustiak SP (2019). Biodegradable polyethylene glycol hydrogels for sustained release and enhanced stability of rhGALNS enzyme. Drug Delivery and Translational Research.
- Janks L, Sprague R, & Egan TM (2019). ATP-gated P2X7 receptors require chloride channels to promote inflammation in human macrophages Journal of Immunology.
- Jenkins M, Frolov A, Tan Y, Daly D, Lawson C, & Martin JR (2019). Situs inversus totalis in a 96-year-old female cadaver: evidence pointing toward the two-cilia model. Italian Journal of Anatomy and Embryology.
- Khoury R, Chakkamparambil B, Chibnall J, Rajamanickam J, Kumar A, & Grossberg GT (2019). Diagnostic Accuracy of the SLU AMSAD Scale for Depression in Older Adults Without Dementia. J Am Med Dir Assoc.
- Khoury R & Grossberg GT (2019). Antidepressant Use on the Trajectory of Alzheimer’s Disease: Evidence, Mechanisms, and Therapeutic. Implications Article in CNS Drugs.
- Khoury R, Paracha S, Shach R, Nair A, & Grossberg GT (2019). Can lifestyle modifications delay or prevent Alzheimer’s disease? Evidence suggests combining lifestyle modifications may yield better cognitive outcomes. Current Psychiatry.
- Kreienkamp R, Billon C, Bedia-Diaz G, Albert CJ, Toth Z, Butler AA, McBride-Gagyi S, Ford DA, Baldan A, Burris TP, & Gonzalo S (2019). Doubled lifespan and patient-like pathologies in progeria mice fed high-fat diet. Aging Cell.
- Laures-Gore J, Cahana-Amitay D, & Buchanan TW (2019). Diurnal Cortisol Dynamics, Perceived Stress, and Language Production in Aphasia. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research.
- Levine TD, Kafaie J, et al. (2019). Cryptogenic small-fiber neuropathies: Serum autoantibody binding to trisulfated heparan disaccharide and fibroblast growth factor receptor-3. Muscle Nerve.
- Liang X, Samways, DSK, Cox J, & Egan TM (2019). Ca2+ flux through splice variants of the ATP-gated ionotropic receptor P2X7 is regulated by its cytoplasmic N terminus. Journal of Biological Chemistry.
- Lu A, Baker-Nigh A, & Sun P (2019). Operation Spinal Cord Regeneration: Patterning Information Residing in Extracellular Matrix Glycosaminoglycans. Brain and Behavior.
- Maftei D, Ratano P, Fusco I, Marconi V, Squillace S, Negri L, Severini C, Balboni G, Steardo L, Bronzuoli MR, Scuderi C, Campolongo P, & Lattanzi R (2019). The prokineticin receptor antagonist PC1 rescues memory impairment induced by β amyloid administration through the modulation of prokineticin system. Neuropharmacology.
- Meyer D, Salas J, Barkley S, Boyer M, & Buchanan TW (2019). In Sickness and In Health: Partner's Physical and Mental Health Predicts Cortisol Levels in Couples. Stress.
- Morley JE, Farr SA, Nguyen AD, & Xu F (2019). Editorial: What is the Physiological Function of Amyloid-Beta Protein? J Nutr Health Aging.
- Ogilvie JM (2019). The Mysterious Case of Patient X: A Case Study for Neuroscience Students. The Journal of Undergraduate Neuroscience Education.
- Oliva J, Galasinski S, Richey A, Campbell AE, Meyers MJ, Modi N, Zhong JW, Tawil R, Tapscott SJ, & Sverdrup FM (2019). Clinically Advanced p38 Inhibitors Suppress DUX4 Expression in Cellular and Animal Models of Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy. J Pharmacol Exp Ther.
- Oluwaseyi O, Olayinka OO, Alemu BT, Akpinar-Elci M, & Grossberg GT (2019). Toxic Environmental Risk Factors for Alzheimer’s Disease: A Systematic Review. Aging Medicine and Healthcare.
- Orsso CE, Butler AA, Muehlbauer MJ, Cui HN, Rubin DA, Pakseresht M, Butler MG, Prado CM, Freemark M, & Haqq AM (2019). Obestatin and adropin in Prader-Willi syndrome and nonsyndromic obesity: Associations with weight, BMI-z, and HOMA-IR. Pediatr Obes.
- Peters J, Vest L, Schuelke M, Zustiak SP, Hall AF, & McBride-Gagyi S (2019). MicroCT Vascular Network Analysis Program: Development, Validation and Comparison to Manufacturer Software. Journal of Orthopaedic Research.
- Reichard RA, Parsley KP, Subramanian S, Stevenson HS, Schwartz ZM, Sura T, & Zahm DS (2019). The lateral preoptic area and ventral pallidum embolden behavior. Brain Struct Funct.
- Reichard RA, Parsley KP, Subramanian S, & Zahm DS (2019). Dissociable effects of dopamine D1 and D2 receptors on compulsive ingestion and pivoting movements elicited by disinhibiting the ventral pallidum. Brain Struct Funct.
- Rhea EM, Nirkhe S, Nguyen S, Pemberton S, Bammier TK, Beyer R, Niehoff ML, Morley JE, Farr SA, & Banks WA (2019). Molecular Mechanisms of Intranasal Insulin in SAMP8 Mice. J Alzheimers Dis.
- Roby DA, Ruiz F, Niehoff ML, Zhang J, Morley JE, Musiek ES, Farr SA, & Burris TP (2019). Pharmacological Activation of the Nuclear Receptor REV-ERB Reverses Cognitive Deficits and Reduces Amyloid-beta Burden in a Mouse Model of Alzheimer’s Disease. PLOS ONE.
- Scherrer JF, Morley JE, Salas J, Floyd JS, Farr SA, & Dublin S (2019). Association Between Metformin Initiation and Incident Dementia Among African American and White Veterans Health Administration Patients. Ann Fam Med.
- Scherrer JF, Salas J, Floyd JS, Farr SA, Morley JE, & Dublin S (2019). Metformin and Sulfonylurea Use and Risk of Incident Dementia. Mayo Clin Proc.
- Sheth S, Barnard E, Hyatt B, Rathinam M, & Zustiak SP (2019). Predicting Drug Release from Degradable Hydrogels Using Fluorescence Correlation Spectroscopy and Mathematical Modelling. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology.
- Steinauer N, Guo C, Huang C, Wong M, Tu Y, Freter CE, & Zhang J (2019). Myeloid translocation gene CBFA2T3 directs a relapse gene program and determines patient-specific outcomes in AML. Blood Advances.
- Zustiak SP, Sheth S, & Imaninezhad M (2019). Chapter 12: Pharmacological therapies and factors delivery for spinal cord injury (SCI) regeneration. Spinal Cord Injury Repair Strategies: A Window on Regenerative Medicine Multidisciplinary Approaches.
- Abu Irqeba A, Ogilvie JM (2020) “Di-arginine and FFAT-like motifs retain a subpopulation of PRA1 at ER-mitochondria membrane contact sites.” PLOS ONE 15(12): e0243075. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0243075
The faculty who are members of the Center for Neuroscience are highly respected and celebrated individuals. Below is a brief selection of recent awards these faculty have received.
Daniel Hawiger, Ph.D. receives award from the National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Dr. Daniel Hawiger was awarded a new two-year grant from the National Multiple Sclerosis Society to identify relevant biomarkers associated with a specific commitment of T cells toward the early multiple sclerosis disease.
Daniela Salvemini, Ph.D. Awarded Department of Defense Grant
- Dr. Daniela Salvemini was awarded a grant entitled “Sphingosine-1-Phosphate Receptor
Subtype 1: A Novel Target in the Treatment of Chronic Migraine” from the Department
of Defense. The funding period is July 1, 2021-June 30, 2025 and the funded amount
Migraine and Post-Traumatic Headache (PTH) are widely prevalent disabling disorders. They are far more prevalent in military service personnel, as they are a common feature of mild traumatic brain injury, where a migraine predisposition is more likely to produce adverse outcomes. Despite their high prevalence there are major gaps in our understanding of their pathobiology. Moreover, our ability to treat the more frequent and chronically disabling forms of migraine and PTH are limited. The objectives of our proposal are to understand the roles of sphingolipids, and in particular S1P, in nociceptive mechanisms involved in the pathobiology of migraine-like headaches and the potential use of S1PR1 antagonists in these conditions.
Sue Farr, Ph.D. Awarded The Benter Foundation Grant
- Congratulations to Dr. Sue Farr on her award from The Benter Foundation for a grant entitled "Vaccines for the Prevention of Alzheimer's Disease".
Colin Flaveny, Ph.D. Awarded R21 Grant
- The grant is entitled "Targeting Liver-X-Receptor Regulation of Prostate Cancer Immune-Evasion" and is for $416,625 over two years. Despite the success of the treatment in other tumor types, prostate cancer is notoriously unresponsive to tumor immunotherapy. The overarching goal of Colin's project is to identify an effective way to stimulate immune-mediated destruction of prostate tumors, which will provide a much needed treatment option for patients with late-stage disease.
2019 President's Research Fund Awardees
- Anutosh Chakraborty, Ph.D., Pharmacological and Physiological Science
- Sergey Korolev, Ph.D., Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Daniel Hawiger, M.D., Ph.D., Molecular Microbiology and Immunology
- Jinsong Zhang, Ph.D., Pharmacological and Physiological Science
2019 Scholarly Works Award
- Sergey Korolev, Ph.D., Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
2019 Senior Faculty Grant Winner Award
- Daniela Salvemini, Ph.D., Pharmacological and Physiological Science
2019 Thomas C. Westfall Fellowship Award
2019 Thomas C. Westfall Fellowship Award
- Kathryn Braden-McInerney, graduate student in Dr. Salvemini's Lab