Timothy Lee Wiemken, Ph.D
Saint Louis University Center for Outcomes Research
- A.S., biology, Sauk Valley Community College, Dixon, Illinois (Aug. 1998 – May 2001)
- B.A., microbiology, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois (Aug. 2001 – May 2003). Capstone: Long-circulating bacteriophage as antimicrobial agents
- M.P.H., epidemiology, Saint Louis University, St. Louis, Missouri (Aug. 2004 – May 2006). Internship: Saint Louis County Department Health, Division of Communicable Diseases
- Ph.D., public health sciences, Behavioral Sciences University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky (Aug. 2007 – May 2011) Dissertation: Knowledge-sharing networks of hospital-based infection preventionists in Kentucky.
Publications and Media Placements
Find a full bibliography of publications online.
1. Wiemken TL, Furmanek SP, Carrico RM, Mattingly WA, Persaud AK, Guinn BE, Kelley RR, Ramirez JA. Process control charts in infection prevention: Make it simple to make it happen. American Journal of Infection Control. 2017 Mar 1;45(3):216-221. PMID: 27876163.
2. Ramirez JA, Wiemken TL, Peyrani P, Arnold FW, Kelley R, Mattingly WA, Nakamatisu R, Pena S, Guinn BE, Furmanek SP, Persaud AK, Raghuram A, Fernandez F, Beavin L, Bosson R, Fernandez-Botran R, Cavallazzi R, Bordon J, Valdivieso C, Schulte J, Carrico RM. Adults hospitalized with pneumonia in the United States: Incidence, epidemiology, and mortality. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2017 Nov 13;65(11):1806-1812. PMID: 29020164.
3. Wiemken TL, Furmanek SP, Mattingly WA, Wright MO, Persaud AK, Guinn BE, Carrico RM, Arnold FW, Ramirez JA. Methods for computational disease surveillance in infection prevention: Statistical process control versus Twitter's Anomaly and Breakout Detection algorithms. American Journal of Infection Control. 2018 Feb;46(2):124-132. PMID: 28916373.
4. Banach DB, Bearman G, Barnden M, Hanrahan JA, Leekha S, Morgan DJ, Murthy R, Munoz-Price LS, Sullivan KV, Popovich KJ, Wiemken TL. SHEA Expert Guidance: Duration of contact precautions for acute care settings. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. In Press. PMID: 29321078
5. Wiemken TL, Furmanek SP, Mattingly WA, Haas J, Ramirez JA, Carrico RM. Googling your hand hygiene data: Using Google Forms, Google Sheets, and R to collect and automate analysis of hand hygiene compliance monitoring. American Journal of Infection Control. 2018 Jun;46(6):617-619. PMID: 29496338.
6. Ramirez JA, Peyrani P, Wiemken TL, Chaves S, Fry A. A randomized study evaluating the effectiveness of oseltamivir initiated at the time of hospital admission in adults hospitalized with influenza-associated lower respiratory tract infections. Clinical Infectious Diseases. In Press. PMID: 29659754.
Professional Organizations and Associations
- 2007 – Present: Certified in Infection Control and Epidemiology
Certification Board on Infection Control and Epidemiology Inc. (CBIC), Initial Certification in 2008, Recertified in 2013, Recertified 2017
- 2012 – Present: Colonel – Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels
- 2016 – Present: Six Sigma Lean Green Belt in Healthcare (LGBH)
- 2016 – Present: Six Sigma Lean Black Belt in Healthcare (LBBH)
- 2016 – Present: Fellow of the Association for Professionals in Infection Control (FAPIC)
- 2018 – Present: Fellow of the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of American (FSHEA)