- Graduate Programs
- M.S. in Sustainability
- Ph.D. in Sustainability Science
- M.S. in Geographic Information Science
- Why Geographic Information Science?
- Program Summary
- Core Course Descriptions
- Plan of Study
- Graduate Assistantships
- Apply to Geographic Information Science
- MBA/M.S. in Sustainability Dual Degree
- J.D./M.S. in Urban Planning and Development Dual Degree
- Graduate Certificate in Geographic Information Science
- Accelerated M.S. in Sustainability
M.S. in Geographic Information Science
The interdisciplinary Master of Science (M.S.) in Geographic Information Science (GIScience) from Saint Louis University's Center for Sustainability is offered in cooperation with with Department of Sociology and Anthropology and other departments that offer GIScience courses (e.g., Department of Biology). It combines geospatial theory and practical training in geographic information systems (GIS) and remote sensing software. The program prepares students to become experts well-qualified to meet the increasing demand for experts in geospatial analysis. As an interdisciplinary program within the Center for Sustainability, the M.S. in GIScience focuses on research to address environmental, social, and economic issues.
Students apply GIS, remote sensing, geovisualization, spatial analysis and statistics, database management, and GIS programming within natural science, social science, and integrative human-environment domains using innovative technologies and software programs (e.g., ArcGIS, ENVI+IDL, SARscape, R).
The program features:
- a coursework-only, no thesis option for students who do not plan to pursue a doctoral degree or academic career,
- a coursework plus research project option for students who wish to enhance their geospatial research skills in a particular area,
- a coursework plus thesis option for students who plan to pursue a doctoral degree or academic career,
- a curriculum informed by the Geographic Information Science & Technology Body of Knowledge (GIS&T BoK),
- late afternoon or evening classes that accommodate working professionals, and
- instructors with advanced degrees who work and conduct research in the field.
Download the M.S. in GIScience flyer.