News and Events
The Department of Sociology and Anthropology is pleased to announce we are engaged in a hiring search for: a Cultural Anthropologist and a Medical Anthropologist-Bio-Ethicist.
There's always something exciting happening in the Department of Sociology and Anthropology at SLU!
- December 11, 2013: Brown bag presentation by Lauren Kohut, M.A., Vanderbilt University, Department of Anthropology. Her presentation is titled, " Archaeology and GIS Mapping", 12 PM - 1 PM, McGannon Hall, room 262.
- November 13, 2013: Brown bag presentation by Dr. Aslihan Akkaya, Adjunct Assistant Professor of Anthropology, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale. Her presentation is titled, "Devotion and Friendship Through Facebook", 12 PM - 1 PM, McGannon Hall, room 262.
- October 23, 2013: Brown bag presentation by Dr. Rick Zimmerman, Professor and Associate Dean for Research, University of Missouri-St. Louis, School of Nursing. His presentation is titled, "Social Factors in the US and Global HIV Epidemics", 12 PM - 1 PM, McGannon Hall, room 262.
- October 10, 2013: Dr. Richard Colignon, Chair, was a panelist on Stay Tuned program, Nine Network of Public Media on October 10, 2013 on brain injuries in sports. The program engaged the issues of concussion and brain injuries in football and sports more generally. The aim of the program was to address what brain injuries and concussions actually are, what can families and coaches do to protect their athletes, what information our region needs to know about concussions and brain injuries in student athletics, as well as the sociology of sports in our culture. http://staytuned.ninenet.org/episodes/student-athlete-safety/
- October 9, 2013: Brown bag presentation by Betsy Cohen, Project Director of Regional Immigration and Innovation Initiative, The St. Louis Mosaic Project. Her presentation is titled, "Why St. Louis Needs More Immigrants? How Can We Achieve Regional Population Growth?", 12 PM - 1 PM, Cook Hall, Anheuser-Busch Auditorium, room L50.
- September 11, 2013: Brown bag presentation by Dr. Susanne Cowan, Post Doctorate Fellow, Architecture and Urban History, Washington University. Her talk will be split into two parts: an introductory mini-lecture and a film screening. The title of her talk is "The Origins of Community Design: Applications of Social Research and Participatory Urban Planning", 12 PM - 1 PM, McGannon Hall, room 262.
- August 29, 2013: Welcome home barbecue for our new and returning students, 12:00 - 2:30 PM, McGannon Hall Playground (in back of building). Food and beverages will be served.