Physician Assistant Program
A physician assistant career is an extremely versatile and expansive one. As a physician assistant, you can practice general medicine, assist with neurosurgeries, help deliver babies or work in gerontology - the options are many and varied.
At Saint Louis University, the Physician Assistant program is distinguished by a number of factors:
- Class size is limited to 34 students, affording individual attention to student development and professional and academic progress throughout the program.
- As one of the first physician assistant programs in the country, SLU has maintained a tradition of academic excellence and earned a national reputation as a solid leader in physician assistant education.
- Since graduating its first class in 1973, the program has maintained excellent pass rates on the Physician Assistant National Certifying Exam (PANCE). The average first-time PANCE rate for the last 5 years is 99 percent, click here for further detail.
- Located in the heart of St. Louis on SLU's Medical Center, home to Saint Louis University's School of Medicine, College for Public Health & Social Justice, School of Nursing, Saint Louis University Hospital and SSM Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center our Physician Assistant Program exposes students to the vast range of disciplines and skills involved in modern health care.
- In keeping with our Jesuit identity, students are encouraged to develop as critically reflective and socially responsible persons capable of exercising leadership in advancing the cause of human good in the world.
- Our building provides an exceptional learning environment and houses classrooms, a computer laboratory, a lecture hall and a clinical simulation laboratory with eight ambulatory clinic type exam rooms equipped with cameras for recording students during practical and clinical exams.
- The Saint Louis University Physician Assistant Program has maintained continued accreditation since its inception. The following statement provides the most current information on the program's accreditation status:
The Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant has granted Accreditation-Continued to the Physician Assistant Program sponsored by Saint Louis University. Accreditation-Continued is an accreditation status granted when a currently accredited program is in compliance with the ARC-PA Standards.
Accreditation remains in effect until the program closes or withdraws from the accreditation process or until accreditation is withdrawn for failure to comply with the Standards. The approximate date for the next validation review of the program by the ARC-PA will be March 2020. The review date is contingent upon continued compliance with the Accreditation Standards and ARC-PA policy.