University Inaugurates First Lay President in its Nearly 200-Year History
It was a historic day for Saint Louis University on Oct. 3, as nearly 2,500 people came together in Chaifetz Arena to celebrate the inauguration of SLU's new president Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D.
A Roman Catholic and Jesuit educated, Pestello is the first permanent lay leader in the University's history — a fact that was not lost on many of the speakers at Friday's event.
>> Read more
• Dr. Fred P. Pestello Named President of Saint Louis University
• A letter from President-elect Pestello
• Thank you, Father Biondi
• Sept. 30, 2013: Presidential Search Update
• Oct. 1, 2013: Letter from Presidential Search Chair
• Saint Louis University Calendar of Events | Newslink | Announcements
Dissertation DefensesThe schedule will be updated throughout the term.
- Jamie Martin, a Ph.D. candidate in Industrial-Organizational Psychology, will defend her dissertation, "Does Degree of Virtuality Matter? Effects of Political Skill on the Relationship between Role Ambiguity and Burnout in a Virtual Environment," on July 23, 2015 at 3:00 P.M. in Room 2603 of Morrissey Hall.
- Elsedikk Abdelkader, a Ph.D. candidate in Chemistry, will defend his dissertation, "Synthesis and Characterization of Reactive Nanoparticles Using Electrical Explosion of Wires and Reverse Micelles," on July 29, 2015 at 1:00 P.M. in Room 342 of Macelwane Hall.
- Darren Garbuz, a Ph.D. candidate in Mathematics, will defend his dissertation, "Decomposing Gluing Maps for Heegaard Diagrams in Terms of Lickorish Generators," on July 29, 2015 at 10:00 A.M. in Room 1030 of McDonnell-Douglas Hall.
- Ismaila Emahi, a Ph.D. candidate in Chemistry, will defend his dissertation, "Identification of DNA Aptamers for Pyrroloquinoline Quinone (PQQ) and Electrochemical Characterization of DNA Aptamer-Redox Cofactor Complexes," on July 31, 2015 at 1:00 P.M. in Room 17 of Shannon Hall.
- Nicole Haggard, a Ph.D. candidate in American Studies, will defend her dissertation, "Race, Sex, and Hollywood: The Illicit Representation of the Black Man-White Woman Pair in American Cinema" on August 7, 2015 at 1:00 P.M. in Room 142 of Adorjan Hall.
- Robert D. Adams, a Ph.D. candidate in Pharmacological and Physiological Sciences, will defend his dissertation, "Electrical Stimulation for Improving Neurite Growth," on August 12, 2015 at 3:00 P.M. in Lecture Hall 3 of Schwitalla Hall.
The Saint Louis University Board of Trustees has elected Board member Joseph ("Joe") Conran to be its next chairman, effective at the December Board meeting. At that time, current Chairman Joe Adorjan will become Chairman Emeritus and will remain on the Board. Patrick Sly will continue to serve as Vice Chairman of the Board.
Also . . .
The Doisy College of Health Sciences is proud to announce the Department of Physical and Athletic Training was awarded a bid by the World Federation of Athletic Training and Therapy (WFATT) to host its World Congress on the Saint Louis University campus on June 20-22, 2015.
Also . . .
The Reading List: Online reports on college, careers and more
Articles and information from the World Wide Web
"From school to work to school again: the changing face of graduate education" (First in a series about graduate education from the St. Louis Beacon)
"The financial burden of graduate education" (Second in a series about graduate education from the St. Louis Beacon)
"Successful job hunt means returning to basics " (Third, and final, in a series about graduate education from the St. Louis Beacon)