Nino Dzebisashvili, MSW
Senior Research Assistant
Public Health Studies
Concentration in Health Services Research / Outcomes Research
Office: (314) 977-9469
3545 Lafayette Ave, Salus Center, Room 413
St. Louis, MO 63104
Education and Training
- M.S. Tbilisi State University (Social Psychology)
- M.S.W. Washington University in St. Louis (Social and Economic Development and Research)
Nino is a senior research assistant and a student in SLUCOR's doctoral program. Her primaryresearch focus is solid organ transplantation where her work deals with healthcare access, healthoutcomes, medication compliance and cost-effectiveness. Nino is currently exploring issues of access and outcomes of transplantation using national transplant registries and public/private insurance and pharmaceutical claims databases. Her dissertation work focuses on studying access, disparities and economic implications of liver transplantation. Before joining SLUCOR in 2006, Nino was involved in program evaluation, quality assessment and public policy studies that influenced policy and service delivery at organizational and state levels.
Research Experience and InterestsOrgan Transplantation
- Healthcare Access and Disparities
- Cost-effectiveness analysis
- Medication Compliance
- Quality Assessment
- Program Evaluation
Selected Publications and Presentations
1. Paula M. Buchanan, MPH, Mark A. Schnitzler, PhD, Daniel C. Brennan, MD, Nino
Dzebisashvili, MSW, Lisa M. Willoughby, PhD, David Axelrod, MD, Paolo R. Salvalaggio,
MD, Kevin C. Abbott, Thomas E. Burroughs, PhD, and Krista L. Lentine, MD. Novel Methods
for Tracking Long-Term Maintenance Immunosuppression Regimens. Clinical Journal of the
American Society of Nephrology 3, 2008.
2. Namrata Krishnan, MD, Paula M. Buchanan, MPH, Nino Dzebisashvili, MSW, Huiling Xiao,Mark A. Schnitzler, PhD, Daniel C. Brennan, MD. Monozygotic transplantation: Concerns and Opportunities. American Journal of Transplantation 8, 2008
3. Lisa M. Willoughby, PhD, Mark A. Schnitzler, PhD, Daniel C. Brennan, MD, Brett W.
Pinsky, MPH, Nino Dzebisashvili, MS, Paula M. Buchanan, MPH, Luca Neri, MD, Lisa A.
Rocca-Rey, MD, Kevin C. Abbott, MD, MPH, Krista L. Lentine, MD, MS. Early outcomes of
thymoglobulin and basiliximab induction in kidney transplantation: Application of statistical
approaches to reduce bias in observational comparisons, Transplantation 87, 2009.
4. Paolo R. Salvalaggio, MD, PhD, Nino Dzebisashvili , MS, Brett Pinsky, MS, Mark A.
Schnitzler, PhD, Thomas E. Burroughs, PhD, Ralph Graff, MD, David A. Axelrod, MD, Daniel
C. Brennan, MD, Krista L. Lentine, MD, M. Incremental value of the pancreas allograft to the
survival of Simultaneous Pancreas-Kidney transplant recipients. Diabetes Care 1, 2009.
5. Paula Buchanan, MPH, Nino Dzebisashvili, MS, Krista L. Lentine, MD,MS, David A.
Axelrod, MD, Mark A. Schnitzler, PhD, Paolo R. Salvalaggio, MD, PhD. Liver transplantation
charges in the MELD era: looking beyond the transplant admission. Liver Transplantation 15,
6. Graff RJ, Buchanan PM, Dzebisashvili N, Schnitzler MA, Tuttle-Newhall J, Xiao H, Schadde
E, Gheorghian A, Lentine KL. The clinical importance of flow cytometry crossmatch in the
context of CDC crossmatch results. Transplant proceedings 42, 2010
7. Axelrod DA, Dzebisashvili N, Schnitzler MA, Salvalaggio PR, Segev DL, Gentry SE, Tuttle-
Newhall J, Lentine KL. The interplay of socioeconomic status, distance to center, and interdonor
service area travel on kidney transplant access and outcomes. Clinical Journal of the American
Society of Nephrology 5, 2010
8. Paolo R. Salvalaggio, MD, PhD, Nino Dzebisashvili, MS, Kara E. MacLeod, MPH, MA,
Krista L. Lentine, MD, MS, Adrian Gheorghian, MBA, Mark A. Schnitzler, PhD, Samuel
Hohmann, PhD, Dorry L. Segev, MD, PhD, Sommer E. Gentry, PhD, David A. Axelrod, MD,
MBA. The interaction among donor characteristics, severity of liver disease and the cost of liver
transplantation. Liver Transplantation 17, 2011
9. Axelrod D, Gheorghian A, Schnitzler MA, Dzebisashvili N, Salvalaggio PR, Tuttle-Newhall
J, Segev DL, Gentry S , Hohmann S, Pomfret L, Lentine KL. The Economic Implications of
Broader Sharing of Liver Allografts. Am J Transplant 14, 2011