The Reinert Center considers inclusive teaching to be the intentional use of course design and teaching methods to create equitable learning environments where all learners can be successful, regardless of differences in identity, background, and ability. It involves an explicit commitment to recognizing and minimizing the potential for exclusion, in everything from syllabus design to assessment methods, from instructional strategies to classroom layout. We believe the commitment to inclusive teaching is continuously enacted, in small and large ways. The resources linked below offer starting points - not exhaustive treatments - of specific practices that can promote equitable learning environments for all.
Reinert Center Resources
During the 2016-2017 academic year, Reinert Center staff will develop and publish new resources that provide just-in-time guidance on practical aspects of inclusive teaching. Check back regularly to see what's new.
- Creating Inclusive Course Assignments [resource guide]
- Who Are You Excluding? Seeing the Diversity in Your Classroom [blog post]
- Intersectionality in Action [blog post]
- Ignatian Pedagogy as Critical Pedagogy [blog post]
- Bibliography of Inclusive Teaching resources in the Reinert Center [pdf]
- Acknowledging Difference on the First Day [blog post]
- Inclusive Teaching: Reflections on the Reinert Center's 2016-2017 Theme [blog post]
Seeing the Diversity in Your Classroom [resource guide]
Other Resources on Inclusive Teaching
- Difference Matters: A Resource on Diversity, Identity, and Communication (Brenda Allen, University of Colorado Denver)
- Diversity and Inclusive Teaching (Vanderbilt University)
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Instruction (University of Washington)
- Faculty Toolkit for Engaging Campus Diversity (San Jose State University)
- Inclusive Pedagogy and Diversity: Education for the 21st Century (Ball State University)
- Teaching Beyond the Gender Binary in the University Classroom (Vanderbilt University)
Want to recommend a resource? Let us know by submitting it through our online form by clicking here.