Torrie Hester, Ph.D.
Department of History
History of the Untied States to 1865; History of the United States Since 1865; Honors Seminar: How High the Fence?; The Vote in U.S. History; The Historian's Craft; Introduction to Latin America; Latin American History Through Film; World History II; Progressive Era to the Jazz Age, 1870-1920; The Gilded Age; History of the American West; The West in Film & Fiction; Guys and Dolls: Gender in U.S. History; U.S. Women's History; Introduction to American Historiography; Immigration and Migration in U.S. History
Ph.D., University of Oregon, 2008
M.A., California State University, 2000
B.A., University of Victoria, 1996
Publications and Media Placements
Deportation: Origins of U.S. Policy. (University of Pennsylvania Press, June 2017.)
“Deportability and the Carceral State,” Journal of American History, 102 v. 1 (June, 2015).
“Protection, not Punishment”: Legislative and Judicial Formation of U.S. Deportation Policy, 1882-1904.” The Journal of American Ethnic History 30 no. 1 (Fall, 2010): 11-36.
“Peggy Pascoe: Mentor.” Journal of Women’s History. http://bingdev.binghamton.edu/jwh/?page_id=478
Book Review: Katherine Unterman, Uncle Sam’s Policemen: The Pursuit of Fugitives Across Borders. (Harvard University Press, 2015), Journal of Southern History, (Forthcoming).
Book Review: Cindy Hahamovitch, No Man’s Land: Jamaican Guestworkers in America and the Global History of Deportable Labor (Princeton, 2011), Coordinating Council For Women in History, 45 v. 2 (May, 2014).
Book Review: Deborah Cohen, Braceros: Migrant Citizens and Transnational Subjects in the Postwar United States and Mexico (UNC Press, 2011) International Migration, 24, v. 7, (Winter, 2012).
Book Review: Christian G. Samito, Becoming American Under Fire: Irish Americans, African Americans, and the Politics of Citizenship during the Civil War Era (Cambridge University Press, 2011), Journal of the Gilded Age and Progressive Era, 13 v. 3 (September, 2012).
“Immigration Act of 1891,” in Kent Rasmussen, ed., Encyclopedia of American Immigration, (New Jersey: Salem Press.)
“Deportation” in Kent Rasmussen, ed., Encyclopedia of American Immigration, (New Jersey: Salem Press.)
Honors and Awards
- Dean's Professional Development, Saint Louis University, 2012, 2015 and 2016
- Mellon Faculty Development Grand, Saint Lous University, 2012 and 2014
- Center for Intercultural Studies, Travel Fund, Saint Louis University, 2013
- National Endowment for the Humanities, Summer Institute, "American Immigration Revisited," 2009
- Graduate Teaching Fellowship, University of Oregon, 2001-2008
- Travel Award, Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations, 2005
- Graduate Research Award, University of Oregon, 2005
Professional Organizations and Associations
- Immigration and Ethnic History Society (IEHS)
- Organization of American Historians (OAH)
- Social Science History Association (SSHA)
- Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations (SHAFR)
- American Society for Legal History (ASLH)
- Western History Association (WHA)
- Coalition for Western Women's History (CWWH)
- American Historical Association (AHA)