The College of Arts and Sciences provides resources to ensure that all students know the policies and procedures that govern our academic activity.
Our professional staff members, including academic advisers, administrative assistants and others, are dedicated to your personal success and well-being. We believe both the college and the University are large enough to provide great resources, but small enough to retain the true spirit of community.
The College of Arts and Sciences precommencement ceremony will take place on Friday, May 17, 2019 at 8:30 a.m. at Chaifetz Arena.
All graduates from fall 2018, spring 2019 and summer 2019 will be introduced and recognized during this ceremony. Each doctoral student will be hooded by their mentor. The University’s commencement ceremony will take place Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 9 a.m. at Chaifetz Arena.
Cap and gown is required for both ceremonies.
Undergraduate Graduation Requirements
To be certified for graduation, candidates for a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in the College of Arts and Sciences are required to complete all course requirements and to meet all of the following conditions:
- Complete a minimum of 120 semester hours of undergraduate credit hours
- Complete all requirements for the College of Arts and Sciences core curriculum
- Complete all of the requirements of at least one academic major
- Hold a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or above in major(s), minor(s), and related hours (Some majors/minors may have a different/higher GPA requirement.)
- Complete final 30 of 36 credit hours at Saint Louis University or an approved study-abroad program
- Complete of the following percentages of credit hours at Saint Louis University or
an approved study abroad program
- At least 50 percent of a major
- At least 75 percent of a concentration
- At least 75 percent of a minor
Verify Your Path to Graduation
To determine if you are on track to graduate:
- Verify that all of your degrees and majors/ minors/certificates are correctly listed on your student transcript/degree evaluation.
- Ensure that all transfer and study abroad credits are posted to your transcript/degree evaluation in the semester prior to anticipated graduation.
- Submit a graduation application prior to the end of the drop/add period of the semester in which graduation is intended. Failure to submit the application by the deadline may result in delayed degree conferral, omission of your name from graduation publications, etc.
- Contact your Academic Advisor if you have applied for graduation but need to defer degree completion to a later term.
Averages for graduation with Latin honors are computed only on the basis of coursework taken at Saint Louis University. To be eligible for graduation with Latin honors, transfer students must take a minimum of 60 hours at Saint Louis University.
- Summa Cum Laude 3.9 - 4.0
- Magna Cum Laude 3.7 - 3.89
- Cum Laude 3.5 - 3.69
Final determination is made at the time of degree conferral.
Participating in Graduation/Pre-Commencement Ceremonies
Saint Louis University holds commencement ceremonies in May and December.
Students who complete their degree requirements in the fall or the preceding summer term can participate in either ceremony. Students who complete their degree requirements in the spring or those who will be completing their degree requirements in the coming summer term are invited to participate in the May commencement ceremony.
The names of all graduating students are read at the December commencement. The College of Arts and Sciences holds a pre-commencement ceremony prior to the May Commencement at which graduates are individually recognized. Academic attire is required at both ceremonies.
All graduating students must complete the Graduation Application. A graduation fee is billed to the student account of all graduating students in the term of conferral regardless of participation in commencement activities. If, after submitting the Graduation Application, degree completion needs to be deferred to a later term, the academic adviser should be contacted.