Using the Test Tool in Blackboard Learn
Location of the Test tool:
- Go to the Control Panel
- Click on Course Tools
- Click on Tests, Surveys and Pools
- Click on Tests
Step 1: Choose your Test-wide Question Settings. This can save you time if you are not using many of the settings for your test and can turn off those options. It is also important to make sure the features you need are turned on.
The default settings for Question Settings are:
- Question Metadata
- Default point value is 10 points
- Partial Credit is available
- Questions can be made Extra Credit questions
- Answers can be randomized
- Choice of vertical or horizontal answer display
- Choice of numbering options for answers
Other Question Settings are:
- Provide Feedback for individual answers
- Add images, files, and web links to individual feedback
- Add images, files and web links to answers
- Specify negative points options for answers
Step 2: Create your Test or Survey Canvas. The Test Canvas is the test shell. Questions are added and modified in it and the Test can be modified as well.
Creating Tests and Surveys - Overview
- About Question Settings
- How to Build a Test or Survey and Add New Questions
- Reordering Questions
Step 3: Add questions to your Test
- Adding Question Metadata: this option is turned on by default on the Question Settings page.
- Offering Partial Credit: this option is turned on by default on the Question Settings page.
- Editing Tests and Questions (includes the new automatic regrading option)
There are seventeen different question types. Fourteen of these types are graded automatically by Blackboard. The other two types must be graded by the instructor. Below are the most commonly used question types.
Automatically Graded Questions:
- Multiple Choice Questions
- Multiple Answer Questions (Multiple Choice)
- True or False Questions
- Matching Questions
- Fill in the Blank Questions
- Fill in Multiple Blanks Questions
- Ordering Questions
Instructor Graded Questions:
Less Used Types of Questions:
- Calculated Formula Questions
- Calculated Numeric Questions
- File Response Questions (must be graded by instructor)
- Hot Spot Questions
- Jumbled Sentence Questions
- Quiz Bowl Questions
Survey Type Questions:
Advanced Question Options:
Randomizing Your Test:
You can randomize your Test Questions using Random Blocks and Questions Sets.
Difference between Random Blocks and Questions Sets:
Random Blocks pull questions from Pools. Question Sets pull questions from Pools and Tests that have been created in the course. Question Sets can also be set up to display questions randomly.
Step 4: Setting the Test Options and Deploying the Test
Step 5: Grade the Test
Other Tests Functions
Tests can be copied from one course to another using the Export Test and Import Test features. Tests can also be copied to another course using the Course Copy (link to CMS page) feature.