Alul, Hana, August 2014
- Topic Title: Hedis Scores and Uncomplicated Acute Bronchitis: The Analysis of a Webinar.
Assid, Pam, December 2014
- Topic Title: Emergency Department Management of Hyperglycemic Emergencies.
Baker, Richard, May 2014
- Topic Title: Implementation of a Pressure Ulcer Prevention Program Designed for Quality
Improvement in the Long Term Care Facility.
Baldomero, Ryan, May 2014
- Topic Title: Retrospective Analysis of a Structured Telephone Protocol to Increase
Participation Rates of Post Discharge Cardiac Rehabilitation Patients.
Bartholomew, Tammy, December 2014
- Topic Title: Screening for Pre-diabetes and Asymptomatic Diabetes in youth: Is it
Time for a Change.
Beckerle, Carla J. Moore, May 2014
- Topic Title: Self-Efficacy and Effects of Glycemic Controlon Diabetes.
- Publications/Presentations: Beckerle, C. & Lavin, M.A. (2013) Association of Self-Efficacy
and Self-Care with Glycemic Controlin Diabetes, Diabetes Spectrum, 26, 172-178.
Bredy, Marie, August 2014
- Topic Title: Standardized HPV Gardasil Vaccine Promotion. A Retrospective Review.
Brock, Lyndsay, April 2014
- Topic Title: The Effect of and Educational Program to Prevent Oxygen Waste in the
Bryant, Vera, May 2014
- Topic Title: A Retrospective Comparison of Electromagnetic Enteral Access Device Images
to Abdominal Images for Accuracy in Bedside Placement of Small Bowel Feeding Tubes.
- Bryant V, Phang J, & Abrams K: Comparison of electromagnetic enteral device images
to abdominal radiograph images for accuracy in bedside placement of small bore feeding
tubers. American Journal of Critical Care.
- Bryant V, Phang J, Abrams K: Verifying placement of small-bore feeding tubes: Electromagnetic
device images versus abdominal radiographs. American Journal of Critical Care.24(6)525-531.
- Bryant V: Response to letter to editor: Accuracy of Electromagnetic Placement Devices.
American Journal of Critical Care. 25(3)199-200
Carlucci, Melissa, December 2017
- Topic Title: Early Telemedicine to Promote CPAP Adherence.
Caspary, Catherine, December 2016
- Topic Title: Quality of Diabetes Care and Outcomes in the Free Clinic Setting: A Retrospective
Clem, Lori, December 2016
- Topic Title: A Retrospective Chart Review of a Behavioral Health Consultation Program
on the Impact of Glycated Hemoglobin Levels in a Group of Poorly Controlled Type II
Diabetic Patients in a Patient Centered Medical Home.
Cunningham, Mary Ann Wolf, May 2011
- Topic Title: Is Albuterol a Trigger for Atrial Fibrillation in the Post-Op Cardiac
- Publications/Presentations: Cunningham MA, Thanavaro, JL, Lorenz R, Delicath T, Budhathoki
CB. (2012) Effect of bronchodilator treatment on the incidence of postoperative atrial
fibrillation after cardiac surgery. Heart Lung;41(5):463-8. doi: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2012.03.005.
Currier, Kristina May, December 2011
- Topic Title: Reducing Risks for Morbidity and Mortality Related to Metabolic Syndrome
in Patients Taking Atypical Antipsychotics.
Dang, Thuy H., November 2010
- Topic Title: Improving Childhood Immunization Rate for a Low-Income Population Treated
at a Federally Qualified Health Center.
Davis, Renee, May 2014
- Topic Title: Vitamin D Levels in Overweight/Obese Youth in a Midwest Urban Setting.
- Publications/Presentations: Davis, R.L., Loman, D. G., & Lorenz, R.A. (2017). Screening
adolescents at risk for Vitamin D deficiency: A retrospective study. The Journal of
Nurse Practitioners. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2017.05.012
Dettenmeier, Patricia, April 2014
- Topic Title: The lmpace of Motivation and Confidence Levels on Continuous Positive
Airway Pressure (CPAP) Compliance in Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
- Publications/Presentations: P. Dettenmeier (2014, iAyudame! Mi Esposo esta inconsciente!
Nursing 2014, June: 60-63. DOI-10.1097/01.NURSE.0000441883.72501.6d.
Dixon, Kerri A. Marshall, May 2011
- Topic Title: Monitoring the risks of amiodarone therapy in primary care
- Publications/Presentations: Dixon, K., Thanavaro, J., Thais, A., & Lavin, M. A. (2013).
Amiodarone Surveillance in Primary Care. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 9(1), 46-54.
Draganic, Keri, December 2016
- Topic Title: Comparing outcomes in septic patients with heart failure with reduced
ejection fraction who receive the recommended or less than the recommended intravenous
fluid resuscitation rates described by the Surviving Sepsis Bundle: A retrospective
East, Susan A., May 2011
- Topic Title: The Association between Wound Closure Methods and Saphenous Vein Harvest
Wound Complications after Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery.
- Publications/Presentations: East, S., Lorenz, R.A., Armbrecht, E.S. (in press) A retrospective
review of leg wound complications after coronary artery bypass surgery. AORN.
Elbe, Mykale, August 2017
- Topic Title: Text Message Support and Breastfeeding in an Urban Community/Population.
Farran, Nicole Anne Neffgen, December 2011
- Topic Title: Assessment of Provider Adherence to Obesity Treatment Guidelines
- Publications /Presentations: Farran, N, Ellis, P, & Barron, ML. (2012). Assessment
of provider adherence to obesity treatment guidelines. Journal of the American Academy
of Nurse Practitioners, no-no. doi:10.1111/j.1745-7599.2012.00769.x
Fitzgibbon, Marie C., May 2012
- Topic Title: Medication Reconciliation: reducing risk for medication misadventure
during transition from Hospital to Assisted Living
- Publications/Presentations: Fitzgibbon, M., Lorenz, R.A., & Lach, H. (in press). Medication
Reconciliation: Reducing risk for medication misadventure during transition from hospital
to assisted living. Journal of Geriatric Nursing, December 2013 39(12) pp 22-29 doi:
Franklin, JoAnn Bardol, November 2010
- Topic Title: Utilizing BMI as a guide for diagnosing prediabetes and diabetes and
the impact of NP intervention on diabetic markers
- Publications/Presentations: Franklin, J, Thanavaro, J. & Ellis, P. (2011).Body Mass
Index as a Guide for Diagnosing Prediabetes and Diabetes. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners,
7(8), 634-640. Podium Presentation: DNP Conference Sept. 2012 St. Louis, MO
Friess, Mary Kate Tadych, August 2012
- Topic Title: An Assessment of Chronic Disease Implications in a Midwest Medicaid Clinic.
Graze, Laura, December 2017
- Topic Title: Triad Approach to Child Asthma Action Plans.
Gerdes, Peggy JoAnn Thomsen, May 2012
- Topic Title: The Effect of an Outpatient Interdisciplinary Education Program on Heart
- Publications/Presentations: Gerdes, P.& Lorenz, R.A. (in press). The Effect of an
Outpatient Interdisciplinary Education Program on Heart Failure Readmissions. Journal
of Nurse Practitioners, July/August 2013 9(7), pp. 422-427.
Gephart, Elizabeth F. O’Dell, May 2011
- Topic Title: Weight Management Quality Improvement Project for Group Homes Serving
Youth with Developmental Disabilities
- Publications/Presentations: Gephart, E.F. Loman, D.G (2012) Use of Prevention and
Prevention Plus Weight Management Guidelines for Youth With Developmental Disabilities
Living in Group Homes. Journal of Pediatric Health Care. doi: 10.1016/j.pedhc.2011.07.004
Harris, Donna, December 2016
- Topic Title: Comparison of Postoperative Outcomes Following Two Types of Peripheral
Nerve Blocks for Total Knee Arthroplasty.
Harrison, Elizabeth A., May 2016
- Publications/Presentations: Harrison, E.A. (In press). The effect of the group visit
model for management of patients with PCOS: a pilot study. Women’s Healthcare: A Clinical
Journal for Nurse Practitioners. (In press)
Hawkins, Patrick Dale, May 2012
- Topic Title: Improvement in hemoglobin management in hemodialysis patients after the
initiation of CMS bundled PPS.
Healy, Eileen, December 2013
- Topic Title: Advanced Practice Pain Management Website Development and Evaluation.
- Publications/Presentations: Lavin, M.A., Healy, E. & Barron, M. L. (2015). Structuring
advanced practice knowledge: An internet resource for education and practice. In Saba,
V. K. & McCormick, K.A., (Eds.), Essentials of nursing informatics (pp. 347-361).
New York, New York: McGraw-Hill.
Heberlie, Gina, December 2014
- Topic Title: Improving Screening Treatment of Vitamin D Deficiency.
Holzemer, Eve Marie, November 2010
- Topic Title: Modifying Risk Factors after TIA and Stroke:The Impact of Intensive Education
- Publications/Presentations: Holzemer, E.M, Thanavaro, J., Malmstrom, TK., & Cruz-Flares,
S. (2011).Modifying Risk Factors After TIA and Stroke:The Impact of Intensive Education.
The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 7(5), 372-377. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2011.01.017
House, Teresa M. Paul, December 2011
- Topic Title: Advanced Directives in the Chronically Ill Hospitalized Patient: A Retrospective
- Publications/Presentations: House, T. & Lach, H.W. (2014). Advanced directives in
hospitalized patients: A retrospective study. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 10(7),
Houston, Kathleen P., November 2012
- Topic Title: Rapid antiretroviral therapy administration for acute sexual assault
patients in the Emergency Unit
Jesenick, Crystal, May 2014
- Topic Title: Utilization of the Teach Back Method for Patient Education to Reduce
30-Day Readmission Rate in Patients with Heart Failure.
Keser, Kimberly A. Smith, December 2011
- Topic Title: Improving Blood Pressure through a Comprehensive Provider Intervention
using JNC-7 Guidelines with the Use of EHR Records
- Publications/Presentations: Keser, Kimberly A., Lorenz, R.A. (2016). The effect of
a comprehensive provider and patient intervention to improve blood pressure control.
Journal of Doctoral Nursing Practice, 9(1), 4-12.
Kim-Shepherd, So Youn, May 2012
- Topic Title: Physical Activity Prescription
Kuensting, Laura L. Umbach, December 2011
- Topic Title: Comparing Subcutaneous Fluid Infusion to Intravenous Fluid Infusion in
- Publications/Presentations: Kuensting, L. L. (2013). Comparing subcutaneous fluid
infusion with intravenous fluid infusion in children. J Emerg Nurs, 39(1), 86-91.
doi: 10.1016/j.jen.2012.04.017 Kuensting, L. L. (2011). Subcutaneous infusion of fluid
in children. J Emerg Nurs, 37(4), 346-349. doi: 10.1016 j.jen.2010.05.005
Kush, Catherine, May 2014
- Topic Title: Preventing Avoidable Hospital Readmissions in Long-Term Care: The Effects
of a Quality Improvement Project Using the INTERACT tools.
Manus, David, December 2014
- Topic Title: Operating Room Staff Attitudes Toward Teamwork.
Massoni, Jennifer Ann, December 2012
- Topic Title: Patient Outcomes following Pleural Catheter Placement
McClellan, Lynn, May 2014
- Topic Title: Psychotropic Medications: Increased Body Mass Index and Elevated Blood
Pressure in Children.
McLaughlin, Laura, August 2018
- Topic Title: Factor Associated with Post-Operative Opioid Use in Lumbar Spine Surgery.
McNamar, Patricia, December 2012
- Topic Title: A Pediatric Office-Based Quality Improvement Project in a Rural Health
- Publications/Presentations: McNamar, P., & Loman, D.G. (2014). A pediatric office-based
quality improvement project:Retrospective evaluation. Online Journal of Rural Nursing
and Health Care, 14(1), 18-42. http://dx.doi.org/10.14574/ojrnhc.v14i1.280
McRee, Laura, May 2014
- Topic Title: The impact of the electronic medical record surveillance program on outcomes
for patients with sepsis.
- Publications/Presentations: McRee, L., Thanavaro, JL., Moore, K., Goldsmith, M., &
Pasvogel, A.(2014). The impact of an electronic medical record surveillance program
on outcomes for patients with sepsis. Heart and Lung-The Journal for Acute and Chronic
Care, 43, 6, 546-549.
Owen, Joleyn, May 2014
- Topic Title: Accuracy and Duplication of Tests in a Veterans Administration Compensation
and Pension Department.
Page, Sharon, December 2015
- Topic Title: Comparison of Text Message and Phone Call Reminders on Failureto-Attend
Appointment Rates in Pediatric Care.
Papachrisanthou, Michelle Marie Mullenix, August 2012
- Topic Title: Increasing Immunization Adherence: The Effects of Visual Imagery and
- Publications/Presentations: Papachrisanthou, M., Lorenz, R.A. & Loman, D.G. Increasing
Immunization Adherence: The Effects of Visual Imagery and Verbal Education. Journal
of Community Health. 40(6), 1107-1114
Petersen, Valarie Anne Shearer, November 2012
- Topic Title: An lnterventional Study of Guiding Homeless Persons to Self Reliance
Using The Outcomes Star
- Publications/Presentations: Petersen, V., Ellis, P., Lorenz, R.A., Armbrecht, E. An
Interventional Study of Guiding Homeless Persons to Self-Reliance Using the Outcomes
Star (in Press) Clinical Scholars Review
Rariden, Christina, August 2014
- Topic Title: Nursing Staff Knowledge Related to Prediabetes Screenings in Missouri
- Publications/Presentations: Rariden, C.A., Lavin, M.A. & Shumei, Y.(2015). Improving
Prediabetes Screenings at Rural Missouri County Health Departments. Journal of Community
Health. DOl 10.1007/s10900-015-0036-y
Rhodes, Leslie, May 2014
- Topic Title: Comparing Bowel Regimens in Post-Operative Pediatric Orthopedic Patients:
A Retrospective Review.
- Publications/Presentations: Rhodes, L.N., Loman, D.G., & Bultas, M. Comparing the
outcomes of two post- operative bowel regimens in children with idiopathic scoliosis.
Orthopaedic Nursing, 35(1), 13-17
Robinson, Deborah Lynn Archey, December 2011
- Topic Title: Assessment of Nutritional Screening and Referral for Nutritional Services
in Children with Cancer who have Received Treatment with Chemotherapy and/or Radiation.
- Publications/Presentations: Robinson, D.L., Loman, D. G., Balakas, K., & Flowers,
M. (2012). Nutritional screening and early intervention in children, adolescents,
and young adults with cancer. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs, 29(6), 346-355. doi: 10.1177/1043454212460921
Rosenkoetter, Eileen, May 2014
- Topic Title: Self-Efficacy and Selected Dietary Behaviors in Adolescents who attend
an urban school with Non-competitive Foods.
- Publications/Presentations: Rosenkoetter, E., & Loman, D.G. Self-efficacy and self-reported
dietary behaviors in adolescents at an urban school with no competitive foods. Journal
of School Nursing. Prepublished/ ONLINE March 1, 2015, DOI:10.1177/1059840515570641
Sanders, Michelle, May 2014
- Topic Title: The Use of an Early Warning Scoring System to Identify Patients at Risk
for Code Blue.
Schaeg, Lisa, December 2015
- Topic Title: Screening Children for Persistent Obstructive Sleep Apnea after Adenotonsillectomy.
- Publications/Presentations: Schaeg, L., (2016).Telephone screening to identify children
at risk for persistent obstructive sleep apnea after adenotonsillectomy. Journal of
Pediatric Health Care. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pedhc.2016.06.006
Schmidt, April, May 2014
- Topic Title: Evaluating the Needs of Solid Tumor Cancer Patients: A Holistic Approach.
- Publications/Presentations: Schmidt, A.L., Lorenz, R.A., Buchanan, P.M., & McLaughlin,
L. (2016). Evaluating the Needs of patients living with solid tumor cancer: A survey
design. Journal of Holistic Nursing. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0898010116677146
Schmidt, Laura, May 2014
- Topic Title: Improving Allergic Asthma Outcomes Using Asthma Action Plans: A Pilot
Severine, Janet, December 2014
- Topic Title: Screening for Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Hospitalized TIA/Stroke Patients
using the Stop-Bang Questionnaire.
- Publications/Presentations: Severine JE, Thanavaro J, Lorenz R, & Taylor J. Screening
for Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Hospitalized Transient Ischemic Attack Stroke Patients
Using the Stop- Bang Questionnaire. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 12: 1; 20-26.
Sherrer, Cathy, May 2014
- Topic Title: The Quality of Diabetes Care: Adherence to Selected Clinical Practice
Guidelines in a Rural Health Clinic.
Shima, Lynn, May 2014
- Topic Title: Usefulness of a Portable Personal Health Record: A Pilot Study.
Snell, Mariea, May 2014
- Topic Title: Improving the Detection of Trichomonas Vaginalis with the Implementation
of a Step-Wise Approach to Testing in the High Risk Female.
Speight, Deanna, August 2014
- Topic Title: Implementation of Depression Screenings among Diabetics in Primary Care.
Spoerner, Deborah, December 2017
- Topic Title: A Retrospective Analysis of Falls in Hospitalized Children.
Stewart, Yvette S., December 2016
- Topic Title: Assessing the Impact of Verbal Reminders on Cervical Cancer Screening:
A Retrospective Analysis.
Thompson, Patricia, May 2014
- Topic Title: Electronic Health Record Reminders to Improve Rates of Colorectal Screening.
Underwood, Lindsay, May 2014
- Topic Title: Inappropriate Use of Urinary Catheters in the Neurological/Neurosurgical
Intensive Care Unit.
- Underwood, L. (in press) Inappropriate Use of Urinary Catheters in the Neurological/Neurosurgical
Intensive Care Unit. Urologic Nursing Journal.
- Underwood, Lindsay. (2015). The effect of implementing a comprehensive unit-based
safety program on urinary catheter use. Urologic Nursing. 35:6; 271-279.
Valentine-Fjone, Claudia A., May 2014
- Topic Title: The Family Nurse Practitioner: Mental Health Practice Patterns in Missouri.
Ward, Wesley F., December 2011
- Topic Title: Cost of Insulin and Oral Hypoglycemic Medications as a Barrier to ADA
Hemoglobin A1C Guidelines in Diabetes Mellitus.
- Publications/Presentations: Ward, W., Armbrecht, E. S., & Lavin, M.A.(2012). Medication
possession and glycemic control among uninsured type 2 diabetics. Journal for Nurse
Practitioners, 8(7), 528-533. doi:10.1016/j.nurpra.2012.02.001
Webb, Lee Ann, December 2016
- Topic Title: The Rate of Osteoporosis in Patients with Osteoarthritis Awaiting Hip
Weese, Brenda, November 2012
- Topic Title: Faith Placed Container Gardens: Promotional Means to Increase Fruit and
Willoughby, Eric, December 2017
- Topic Title: Impact of a Nurse Practitioner Led Educational Session on Provider Adherence
with Osteoporosis Screening and Treatment Guidelines in Women 65 and Older.
Winegar, Rhonda, December 2014
- Topic Title: Hemiparetic Positioning of Hemiplegic Patients.
- Publications/Presentations: Winegar, R.D., Lach, H. W., Lorenz, R.A. & Henderson,
D. (In press). Hemiparetic positioning of patients with hemiplegia. Journal of Doctoral