The following information will facilitate your progression through the Saint Louis University's MSN to DNP program.
We also encourage you to refer to the student handbook for this program. Please note that general student rules and regulations in place at Saint Louis University apply unless superseded by policies of the School of Nursing.
The following orientation video will introduce you to the MSN to DNP program and cover many requirements. Please note that this video will play in Tegrity. You will need to log in with your SLU Net ID and password to view Tegrity recordings.
View the Welcome and Orientation Video (coming soon)
- Use advanced knowledge of mid-range and translational theories from nursing and other disciplines as a framework for advanced nursing practice.
- Critically examine research and scholarship to support evidence-based clinical practice.
- Exemplify ethical principles in the delivery of comprehensive health care.
- Formulate strategies to maximize health in patient populations.
- Develop clinical competence for advanced practice that provides consumers with primary, secondary, and/or tertiary health care.
- Use technology and information to improve the health care.
- Apply principles of epidemiology, biostatistics, and environmental sciences to recognized populations at risk, patterns of disease, and effectiveness of prevention and intervention.
- Apply current knowledge of organizations and financing of the health care system to improve the outcomes of care.
- Design and implement processes to evaluate outcomes and systems for health care delivery.
- Use business and management strategies for the provision of quality care and efficient use of resources.
- Use advanced communication and leadership skills with interprofessional health care teams to create and evaluate health care delivery systems.
- Influence health policy at institutional, local, state, and national levels.
Alul, Hana, August 2014
- Topic Title: Hedis Scores and Uncomplicated Acute Bronchitis: The Analysis of a Webinar.
Assid, Pam, December 2014
- Topic Title: Emergency Department Management of Hyperglycemic Emergencies.
Baker, Richard, May 2014
- Topic Title: Implementation of a Pressure Ulcer Prevention Program Designed for Quality Improvement in the Long Term Care Facility.
Baldomero, Ryan, May 2014
- Topic Title: Retrospective Analysis of a Structured Telephone Protocol to Increase Participation Rates of Post Discharge Cardiac Rehabilitation Patients.
Bartholomew, Tammy, December 2014
- Topic Title: Screening for Pre-diabetes and Asymptomatic Diabetes in youth: Is it Time for a Change.
Beckerle, Carla J. Moore, May 2014
- Topic Title: Self-Efficacy and Effects of Glycemic Controlon Diabetes.
- Publications/Presentations: Beckerle, C. & Lavin, M.A. (2013) Association of Self-Efficacy and Self-Care with Glycemic Controlin Diabetes, Diabetes Spectrum, 26, 172-178.
Bredy, Marie, August 2014
- Topic Title: Standardized HPV Gardasil Vaccine Promotion. A Retrospective Review.
Brock, Lyndsay, April 2014
- Topic Title: The Effect of and Educational Program to Prevent Oxygen Waste in the Austere Environment.
Bryant, Vera, May 2014
- Topic Title: A Retrospective Comparison of Electromagnetic Enteral Access Device Images to Abdominal Images for Accuracy in Bedside Placement of Small Bowel Feeding Tubes.
- Bryant V, Phang J, & Abrams K: Comparison of electromagnetic enteral device images to abdominal radiograph images for accuracy in bedside placement of small bore feeding tubers. American Journal of Critical Care.
- Bryant V, Phang J, Abrams K: Verifying placement of small-bore feeding tubes: Electromagnetic device images versus abdominal radiographs. American Journal of Critical Care.24(6)525-531.
- Bryant V: Response to letter to editor: Accuracy of Electromagnetic Placement Devices. American Journal of Critical Care. 25(3)199-200
Carlucci, Melissa, December 2017
- Topic Title: Early Telemedicine to Promote CPAP Adherence.
Caspary, Catherine, December 2016
- Topic Title: Quality of Diabetes Care and Outcomes in the Free Clinic Setting: A Retrospective Analysis.
Clem, Lori, December 2016
- Topic Title: A Retrospective Chart Review of a Behavioral Health Consultation Program on the Impact of Glycated Hemoglobin Levels in a Group of Poorly Controlled Type II Diabetic Patients in a Patient Centered Medical Home.
Cunningham, Mary Ann Wolf, May 2011
- Topic Title: Is Albuterol a Trigger for Atrial Fibrillation in the Post-Op Cardiac Surgery Patient?
- Publications/Presentations: Cunningham MA, Thanavaro, JL, Lorenz R, Delicath T, Budhathoki CB. (2012) Effect of bronchodilator treatment on the incidence of postoperative atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery. Heart Lung;41(5):463-8. doi: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2012.03.005.
Currier, Kristina May, December 2011
- Topic Title: Reducing Risks for Morbidity and Mortality Related to Metabolic Syndrome in Patients Taking Atypical Antipsychotics.
Dang, Thuy H., November 2010
- Topic Title: Improving Childhood Immunization Rate for a Low-Income Population Treated at a Federally Qualified Health Center.
Davis, Renee, May 2014
- Topic Title: Vitamin D Levels in Overweight/Obese Youth in a Midwest Urban Setting.
- Publications/Presentations: Davis, R.L., Loman, D. G., & Lorenz, R.A. (2017). Screening adolescents at risk for Vitamin D deficiency: A retrospective study. The Journal of Nurse Practitioners. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2017.05.012
Dettenmeier, Patricia, April 2014
- Topic Title: The lmpace of Motivation and Confidence Levels on Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) Compliance in Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
- Publications/Presentations: P. Dettenmeier (2014, iAyudame! Mi Esposo esta inconsciente! Nursing 2014, June: 60-63. DOI-10.1097/01.NURSE.0000441883.72501.6d.
Dixon, Kerri A. Marshall, May 2011
- Topic Title: Monitoring the risks of amiodarone therapy in primary care
- Publications/Presentations: Dixon, K., Thanavaro, J., Thais, A., & Lavin, M. A. (2013). Amiodarone Surveillance in Primary Care. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 9(1), 46-54.
Draganic, Keri, December 2016
- Topic Title: Comparing outcomes in septic patients with heart failure with reduced ejection fraction who receive the recommended or less than the recommended intravenous fluid resuscitation rates described by the Surviving Sepsis Bundle: A retrospective analysis.
East, Susan A., May 2011
- Topic Title: The Association between Wound Closure Methods and Saphenous Vein Harvest Wound Complications after Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery.
- Publications/Presentations: East, S., Lorenz, R.A., Armbrecht, E.S. (in press) A retrospective review of leg wound complications after coronary artery bypass surgery. AORN.
Elbe, Mykale, August 2017
- Topic Title: Text Message Support and Breastfeeding in an Urban Community/Population.
Farran, Nicole Anne Neffgen, December 2011
- Topic Title: Assessment of Provider Adherence to Obesity Treatment Guidelines
- Publications /Presentations: Farran, N, Ellis, P, & Barron, ML. (2012). Assessment of provider adherence to obesity treatment guidelines. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, no-no. doi:10.1111/j.1745-7599.2012.00769.x
Fitzgibbon, Marie C., May 2012
- Topic Title: Medication Reconciliation: reducing risk for medication misadventure during transition from Hospital to Assisted Living
- Publications/Presentations: Fitzgibbon, M., Lorenz, R.A., & Lach, H. (in press). Medication Reconciliation: Reducing risk for medication misadventure during transition from hospital to assisted living. Journal of Geriatric Nursing, December 2013 39(12) pp 22-29 doi: 10.3928/00989134-20130930-02.
Franklin, JoAnn Bardol, November 2010
- Topic Title: Utilizing BMI as a guide for diagnosing prediabetes and diabetes and the impact of NP intervention on diabetic markers
- Publications/Presentations: Franklin, J, Thanavaro, J. & Ellis, P. (2011).Body Mass Index as a Guide for Diagnosing Prediabetes and Diabetes. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 7(8), 634-640. Podium Presentation: DNP Conference Sept. 2012 St. Louis, MO
Friess, Mary Kate Tadych, August 2012
- Topic Title: An Assessment of Chronic Disease Implications in a Midwest Medicaid Clinic.
Graze, Laura, December 2017
- Topic Title: Triad Approach to Child Asthma Action Plans.
Gerdes, Peggy JoAnn Thomsen, May 2012
- Topic Title: The Effect of an Outpatient Interdisciplinary Education Program on Heart Failure Re-Admissions
- Publications/Presentations: Gerdes, P.& Lorenz, R.A. (in press). The Effect of an Outpatient Interdisciplinary Education Program on Heart Failure Readmissions. Journal of Nurse Practitioners, July/August 2013 9(7), pp. 422-427.
Gephart, Elizabeth F. O’Dell, May 2011
- Topic Title: Weight Management Quality Improvement Project for Group Homes Serving Youth with Developmental Disabilities
- Publications/Presentations: Gephart, E.F. Loman, D.G (2012) Use of Prevention and Prevention Plus Weight Management Guidelines for Youth With Developmental Disabilities Living in Group Homes. Journal of Pediatric Health Care. doi: 10.1016/j.pedhc.2011.07.004
Harris, Donna, December 2016
- Topic Title: Comparison of Postoperative Outcomes Following Two Types of Peripheral Nerve Blocks for Total Knee Arthroplasty.
Harrison, Elizabeth A., May 2016
- Publications/Presentations: Harrison, E.A. (In press). The effect of the group visit model for management of patients with PCOS: a pilot study. Women’s Healthcare: A Clinical Journal for Nurse Practitioners. (In press)
Hawkins, Patrick Dale, May 2012
- Topic Title: Improvement in hemoglobin management in hemodialysis patients after the initiation of CMS bundled PPS.
Healy, Eileen, December 2013
- Topic Title: Advanced Practice Pain Management Website Development and Evaluation.
- Publications/Presentations: Lavin, M.A., Healy, E. & Barron, M. L. (2015). Structuring advanced practice knowledge: An internet resource for education and practice. In Saba, V. K. & McCormick, K.A., (Eds.), Essentials of nursing informatics (pp. 347-361). New York, New York: McGraw-Hill.
Heberlie, Gina, December 2014
- Topic Title: Improving Screening Treatment of Vitamin D Deficiency.
Holzemer, Eve Marie, November 2010
- Topic Title: Modifying Risk Factors after TIA and Stroke:The Impact of Intensive Education
- Publications/Presentations: Holzemer, E.M, Thanavaro, J., Malmstrom, TK., & Cruz-Flares, S. (2011).Modifying Risk Factors After TIA and Stroke:The Impact of Intensive Education. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 7(5), 372-377. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2011.01.017
House, Teresa M. Paul, December 2011
- Topic Title: Advanced Directives in the Chronically Ill Hospitalized Patient: A Retrospective Cohort Study
- Publications/Presentations: House, T. & Lach, H.W. (2014). Advanced directives in hospitalized patients: A retrospective study. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 10(7), 465-471..doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2014.04.007.
Houston, Kathleen P., November 2012
- Topic Title: Rapid antiretroviral therapy administration for acute sexual assault patients in the Emergency Unit
Jesenick, Crystal, May 2014
- Topic Title: Utilization of the Teach Back Method for Patient Education to Reduce 30-Day Readmission Rate in Patients with Heart Failure.
Keser, Kimberly A. Smith, December 2011
- Topic Title: Improving Blood Pressure through a Comprehensive Provider Intervention using JNC-7 Guidelines with the Use of EHR Records
- Publications/Presentations: Keser, Kimberly A., Lorenz, R.A. (2016). The effect of a comprehensive provider and patient intervention to improve blood pressure control. Journal of Doctoral Nursing Practice, 9(1), 4-12.
Kim-Shepherd, So Youn, May 2012
- Topic Title: Physical Activity Prescription
Kuensting, Laura L. Umbach, December 2011
- Topic Title: Comparing Subcutaneous Fluid Infusion to Intravenous Fluid Infusion in Children
- Publications/Presentations: Kuensting, L. L. (2013). Comparing subcutaneous fluid infusion with intravenous fluid infusion in children. J Emerg Nurs, 39(1), 86-91. doi: 10.1016/j.jen.2012.04.017 Kuensting, L. L. (2011). Subcutaneous infusion of fluid in children. J Emerg Nurs, 37(4), 346-349. doi: 10.1016 j.jen.2010.05.005
Kush, Catherine, May 2014
- Topic Title: Preventing Avoidable Hospital Readmissions in Long-Term Care: The Effects of a Quality Improvement Project Using the INTERACT tools.
Manus, David, December 2014
- Topic Title: Operating Room Staff Attitudes Toward Teamwork.
Massoni, Jennifer Ann, December 2012
- Topic Title: Patient Outcomes following Pleural Catheter Placement
McClellan, Lynn, May 2014
- Topic Title: Psychotropic Medications: Increased Body Mass Index and Elevated Blood Pressure in Children.
McLaughlin, Laura, August 2018
- Topic Title: Factor Associated with Post-Operative Opioid Use in Lumbar Spine Surgery.
McNamar, Patricia, December 2012
- Topic Title: A Pediatric Office-Based Quality Improvement Project in a Rural Health Clinic.
- Publications/Presentations: McNamar, P., & Loman, D.G. (2014). A pediatric office-based quality improvement project:Retrospective evaluation. Online Journal of Rural Nursing and Health Care, 14(1), 18-42. http://dx.doi.org/10.14574/ojrnhc.v14i1.280
McRee, Laura, May 2014
- Topic Title: The impact of the electronic medical record surveillance program on outcomes for patients with sepsis.
- Publications/Presentations: McRee, L., Thanavaro, JL., Moore, K., Goldsmith, M., & Pasvogel, A.(2014). The impact of an electronic medical record surveillance program on outcomes for patients with sepsis. Heart and Lung-The Journal for Acute and Chronic Care, 43, 6, 546-549.
Owen, Joleyn, May 2014
- Topic Title: Accuracy and Duplication of Tests in a Veterans Administration Compensation and Pension Department.
Page, Sharon, December 2015
- Topic Title: Comparison of Text Message and Phone Call Reminders on Failureto-Attend Appointment Rates in Pediatric Care.
Papachrisanthou, Michelle Marie Mullenix, August 2012
- Topic Title: Increasing Immunization Adherence: The Effects of Visual Imagery and Verbal Education.
- Publications/Presentations: Papachrisanthou, M., Lorenz, R.A. & Loman, D.G. Increasing Immunization Adherence: The Effects of Visual Imagery and Verbal Education. Journal of Community Health. 40(6), 1107-1114
Petersen, Valarie Anne Shearer, November 2012
- Topic Title: An lnterventional Study of Guiding Homeless Persons to Self Reliance Using The Outcomes Star
- Publications/Presentations: Petersen, V., Ellis, P., Lorenz, R.A., Armbrecht, E. An Interventional Study of Guiding Homeless Persons to Self-Reliance Using the Outcomes Star (in Press) Clinical Scholars Review
Rariden, Christina, August 2014
- Topic Title: Nursing Staff Knowledge Related to Prediabetes Screenings in Missouri Health Departments.
- Publications/Presentations: Rariden, C.A., Lavin, M.A. & Shumei, Y.(2015). Improving Prediabetes Screenings at Rural Missouri County Health Departments. Journal of Community Health. DOl 10.1007/s10900-015-0036-y
Rhodes, Leslie, May 2014
- Topic Title: Comparing Bowel Regimens in Post-Operative Pediatric Orthopedic Patients: A Retrospective Review.
- Publications/Presentations: Rhodes, L.N., Loman, D.G., & Bultas, M. Comparing the outcomes of two post- operative bowel regimens in children with idiopathic scoliosis. Orthopaedic Nursing, 35(1), 13-17
Robinson, Deborah Lynn Archey, December 2011
- Topic Title: Assessment of Nutritional Screening and Referral for Nutritional Services in Children with Cancer who have Received Treatment with Chemotherapy and/or Radiation.
- Publications/Presentations: Robinson, D.L., Loman, D. G., Balakas, K., & Flowers, M. (2012). Nutritional screening and early intervention in children, adolescents, and young adults with cancer. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs, 29(6), 346-355. doi: 10.1177/1043454212460921
Rosenkoetter, Eileen, May 2014
- Topic Title: Self-Efficacy and Selected Dietary Behaviors in Adolescents who attend an urban school with Non-competitive Foods.
- Publications/Presentations: Rosenkoetter, E., & Loman, D.G. Self-efficacy and self-reported dietary behaviors in adolescents at an urban school with no competitive foods. Journal of School Nursing. Prepublished/ ONLINE March 1, 2015, DOI:10.1177/1059840515570641
Sanders, Michelle, May 2014
- Topic Title: The Use of an Early Warning Scoring System to Identify Patients at Risk for Code Blue.
Schaeg, Lisa, December 2015
- Topic Title: Screening Children for Persistent Obstructive Sleep Apnea after Adenotonsillectomy.
- Publications/Presentations: Schaeg, L., (2016).Telephone screening to identify children at risk for persistent obstructive sleep apnea after adenotonsillectomy. Journal of Pediatric Health Care. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pedhc.2016.06.006
Schmidt, April, May 2014
- Topic Title: Evaluating the Needs of Solid Tumor Cancer Patients: A Holistic Approach.
- Publications/Presentations: Schmidt, A.L., Lorenz, R.A., Buchanan, P.M., & McLaughlin, L. (2016). Evaluating the Needs of patients living with solid tumor cancer: A survey design. Journal of Holistic Nursing. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0898010116677146
Schmidt, Laura, May 2014
- Topic Title: Improving Allergic Asthma Outcomes Using Asthma Action Plans: A Pilot Study.
Severine, Janet, December 2014
- Topic Title: Screening for Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Hospitalized TIA/Stroke Patients using the Stop-Bang Questionnaire.
- Publications/Presentations: Severine JE, Thanavaro J, Lorenz R, & Taylor J. Screening for Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Hospitalized Transient Ischemic Attack Stroke Patients Using the Stop- Bang Questionnaire. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 12: 1; 20-26.
Sherrer, Cathy, May 2014
- Topic Title: The Quality of Diabetes Care: Adherence to Selected Clinical Practice Guidelines in a Rural Health Clinic.
Shima, Lynn, May 2014
- Topic Title: Usefulness of a Portable Personal Health Record: A Pilot Study.
Snell, Mariea, May 2014
- Topic Title: Improving the Detection of Trichomonas Vaginalis with the Implementation of a Step-Wise Approach to Testing in the High Risk Female.
Speight, Deanna, August 2014
- Topic Title: Implementation of Depression Screenings among Diabetics in Primary Care.
Spoerner, Deborah, December 2017
- Topic Title: A Retrospective Analysis of Falls in Hospitalized Children.
Stewart, Yvette S., December 2016
- Topic Title: Assessing the Impact of Verbal Reminders on Cervical Cancer Screening: A Retrospective Analysis.
Thompson, Patricia, May 2014
- Topic Title: Electronic Health Record Reminders to Improve Rates of Colorectal Screening.
Underwood, Lindsay, May 2014
- Topic Title: Inappropriate Use of Urinary Catheters in the Neurological/Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit.
- Underwood, L. (in press) Inappropriate Use of Urinary Catheters in the Neurological/Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit. Urologic Nursing Journal.
- Underwood, Lindsay. (2015). The effect of implementing a comprehensive unit-based safety program on urinary catheter use. Urologic Nursing. 35:6; 271-279.
Valentine-Fjone, Claudia A., May 2014
- Topic Title: The Family Nurse Practitioner: Mental Health Practice Patterns in Missouri.
Ward, Wesley F., December 2011
- Topic Title: Cost of Insulin and Oral Hypoglycemic Medications as a Barrier to ADA Hemoglobin A1C Guidelines in Diabetes Mellitus.
- Publications/Presentations: Ward, W., Armbrecht, E. S., & Lavin, M.A.(2012). Medication possession and glycemic control among uninsured type 2 diabetics. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 8(7), 528-533. doi:10.1016/j.nurpra.2012.02.001
Webb, Lee Ann, December 2016
- Topic Title: The Rate of Osteoporosis in Patients with Osteoarthritis Awaiting Hip Resurfacing.
Weese, Brenda, November 2012
- Topic Title: Faith Placed Container Gardens: Promotional Means to Increase Fruit and Vegetable Intake.
Willoughby, Eric, December 2017
- Topic Title: Impact of a Nurse Practitioner Led Educational Session on Provider Adherence with Osteoporosis Screening and Treatment Guidelines in Women 65 and Older.
Winegar, Rhonda, December 2014
- Topic Title: Hemiparetic Positioning of Hemiplegic Patients.
- Publications/Presentations: Winegar, R.D., Lach, H. W., Lorenz, R.A. & Henderson, D. (In press). Hemiparetic positioning of patients with hemiplegia. Journal of Doctoral Nursing Practice.
Tuition and Additional Costs
For information regarding the upcoming academic year’s tuition rate, fees and financial aid, please visit SLU Financial Services.
All students in the MSN-DNP program have the following additional costs:
- Testing costs by Proctor U- Approximately $230 – payment by student is due when exams are scheduled.
- Software for Typhon (patient visit documentation) $75 - This is a one-time fee due when you register for the first clinical course.
- CastleBranch Registration - $35